Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-05-2019, 07:26 PM   #331
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Yep, I got a $75 BF discount, so returning and rebuying really isn’t an option. I’m hoping I get a “new” replacement. The invoice clearly states new, so if it isn’t that might become a negotiating point. The fact that the replacement is coming from Warehouse Deals, Inc instead of Amazon probably means it will be a refurbished unit though.
It could also be a new one that was returned. Even unopened returns are probably opened to check that everything's there before selling again. (Because some people will redo the shrink wrap/packaging but return a box with a rock or something in it.) They can't really sell it as "new" at that point.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:41 AM   #332
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Amazon received the 2 first gen Dots I sent in. Both had been used the very DAY they were returned. For one I got my $5 but for the other they docked $3 and said it didn't work. I went nuts! I was furious. I was polite, and I got my $3 back. I am very angry that they said it didn't work. Did they play baseball with it? I'll never choose the option to accept what they give again, that's for sure. Also the email claimed I could get 25% off a new echo device. Wrong. They shouldn't send out that type of generic email. I recently used the 25% off as a result of a different trade in so I didn't qualify for another. (It was for the other Dot).(I wonder when that will reset?) I would use it if I could and get another Dot or another Show 5.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:03 AM   #333
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Amazon received the 2 first gen Dots I sent in. Both had been used the very DAY they were returned. For one I got my $5 but for the other they docked $3 and said it didn't work. I went nuts! I was furious. I was polite, and I got my $3 back. I am very angry that they said it didn't work. Did they play baseball with it? I'll never choose the option to accept what they give again, that's for sure. Also the email claimed I could get 25% off a new echo device. Wrong. They shouldn't send out that type of generic email. I recently used the 25% off as a result of a different trade in so I didn't qualify for another. (It was for the other Dot).(I wonder when that will reset?) I would use it if I could and get another Dot or another Show 5.
I wondered whether they really bothered to check if devices were working; for a crummy $5 credit, you wouldn't think it was worth the time. Not saying that your device was defective, of course.

My own beef with the trade-in program is that I had two shopping carts open while I added and deleted items and the 25% discount disappeared, never to return. My sister, almost simultaneously, saw that a hiccup had applied two $5 credits to her own order and once she backtracked to get rid of one of them, her discount toward a new tablet disappeared. I don't get it; you'd think the software could tell if a discount had actually been used. But perhaps this will serve as a warning to others for the future; once the discount shows in your cart, no more changes can be made.

I got a credit for the missing amount, but I'm still out the money in the meantime and the credit can only be applied to goods sold and shipped by Amazon (and I rarely shop at Amazon any more). It's a con; while it's individually a small amount, the aggregate float for Amazon must be significant.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:01 AM   #334
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I stumbled across the 2017 Oasis with 32gb on close out for $149:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KZQ244R...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:08 AM   #335
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
That link sends me to a case (?)
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:29 AM   #336
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I wondered whether they really bothered to check if devices were working; for a crummy $5 credit, you wouldn't think it was worth the time.
I don't even think they tried it. They just tried to scam me. I felt very cheated.

Quote:
once the discount shows in your cart, no more changes can be made.
In my case, I had seen that discount in the cart at first. But I was waiting for the BF price drop, and never saw it again, until I actually went to check out.

Quote:
I got a credit for the missing amount, but I'm still out the money in the meantime and the credit can only be applied to goods sold and shipped by Amazon....
Yes that is what I got. I don't buy that often, as I don't have Prime.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:38 AM   #337
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Quote:
I wondered whether they really bothered to check if devices were working; for a crummy $5 credit, you wouldn't think it was worth the time. Not saying that your device was defective, of course.

My own beef with the trade-in program is that I had two shopping carts open while I added and deleted items and the 25% discount disappeared, never to return. My sister, almost simultaneously, saw that a hiccup had applied two $5 credits to her own order and once she backtracked to get rid of one of them, her discount toward a new tablet disappeared. I don't get it; you'd think the software could tell if a discount had actually been used. But perhaps this will serve as a warning to others for the future; once the discount shows in your cart, no more changes can be made.

I got a credit for the missing amount, but I'm still out the money in the meantime and the credit can only be applied to goods sold and shipped by Amazon (and I rarely shop at Amazon any more). It's a con; while it's individually a small amount, the aggregate float for Amazon must be significant.
Amazon has a real problem with programming, whether it is firmware for devices or their website. I encounter glitches with their check out system all the time. It is very frustrating. Most of the time I can clear everything out of the cart and start over and get it to work correctly, but occasionally I have to call CS and tell them the discount doesn’t show up and they force it to show up. Recently I accepted a trial 3 month subscription to Prime Music offered with the purchase of an Echo, but they charged me the full price. I called to complain and was told the fine print said I could only have that trial once and since I had used the trial months earlier with the purchase of another Echo I wasn’t qualified for the 2nd one. I told them to cancel the subscription. They agreed to refund the month I was charged for it. Later that day I got an email from CS saying they were giving me the free trial after all. I think Amazon must hire the programmers no other company wants judging by how screwed up their website and device firmwares can be. A call to CS usually gets a satisfactory resolution though, but we shouldn’t have to waste our time calling CS so often.

Also, when I bought my Oasis 3 on BF sale I got several different prices for it in the cart, none of which were the one listed. It took 4 tries before the price in the cart matched the listed sale price. I’ve had much more trouble with their discount sales than anything else cart related.

Last edited by OtinG; 12-07-2019 at 09:44 AM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:09 PM   #338
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just received and set up my replacement Oasis 3. It looks new, but I know of no way to verify without knowing the serial number schemes. It looks really good and the screen seems to be as nice as the defect unit, but without lines! Thankfully I still have three weeks to test it before the 30 day return window slams shut. As long as no other defects arise, I’ll keep it. I’ve actually been reading a few hours each day on the defect unit and the single line wasn’t too distracting. I think if multiple lines appeared though it would have been way too distracting. But of course zero lines is MUCH better!
Old 12-07-2019, 04:51 PM   #339
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Thankfully I still have three weeks to test it before the 30 day return window slams shut.
You may have longer, thanks to the holiday season. All my orders lately are showing as return eligible until January 31, 2020, even stuff bought back in early November. I'm pretty sure they'll apply that to their own products as well.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #340
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Thankfully I still have three weeks to test it before the 30 day return window slams shut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
You may have longer, thanks to the holiday season. All my orders lately are showing as return eligible until January 31, 2020, even stuff bought back in early November. I'm pretty sure they'll apply that to their own products as well.
He does have longer. See below for a snippet of post 11.

Return Policies --- purchase dates | return by dates
  • Amazon -----> 01 Nov~31 Dec | 31 Jan

Last edited by tubemonkey; 12-07-2019 at 05:54 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #341
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
Cool, I just checked and all my BF items show return eligible until January 31, 2020 too.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:49 AM   #342
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't resist attaching a screenshot of the peregrinations of the broken Echo I traded for a new Dot. Three things to note:
  1. This is a lot of handoffs for a broken device that got a $5 credit. I know it's all automated, but still it uses up a lot of resources, especially in the aggregate. Wouldn't it have been better just to take it on faith?
  2. There was a natural disaster in New Jersey last week! Who knew?
  3. It's showing as out for delivery and in at yet another facility some five hours later than I took the picture. Rather a waste of time travel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191209-063220.png
Views:	303
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	175484
Old 12-09-2019, 07:21 AM   #343
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
I wonder why they did not just say, give us the serial number of the broken device, we will black list it, then you can bin it...
...we could then have had a fascinating discussion about ethics related to blacklisted devices, pawnshops, the police and lots more related topics
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:53 AM   #344
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I wonder why they did not just say, give us the serial number of the broken device, we will black list it, then you can bin it...
...we could then have had a fascinating discussion about ethics related to blacklisted devices, pawnshops, the police and lots more related topics
Heh. I do agree with your proposition, though, which is exactly what I thought. It's a stunning lapse on Amazon's part to me.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #345
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
There was a natural disaster in New Jersey last week! Who knew?
Nope, but there was weather. Note the "or."
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote