Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-07-2019, 11:49 PM   #1
triumph627
triumph627 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.triumph627 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.triumph627 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Note Pro
App Icons for Boox Devices

Hello all,

I've owned several e-readers over the past 10 years or so, but just got my hands on a Boox Note Pro, and I'm pretty happy with it so far.

I'm a little OCD (figuratively), and couldn't stand that the icons downloaded via the Google Play Store didn't have nice, high-contrast icons like the apps that come pre-loaded on the device. I looked around a little bit and couldn't find what I was looking for, so I ended up making some of my own.

It's fairly simple to create them, and all you have to do is make sure they're named the same as the app package (eg. "com_amazon_kindle"), drop them into the "/Downloads/Onyx/Icons" folder (where you'll find a number of other icons ready to go, but the only one that was there of the apps I use was Firefox, so YMMV), and then restart your device, and the icon will be the lovely, high-contrast logo.

After I made them, I figured someone else might be looking for the same kind of thing, so I'll post them here for anyone to use.

Here's are the ones I created:
(In order: Protonmail, Kindle, Outlook, Word, PowerDMS, Autosync for OneDrive, Gospel Library, Firefox Notes)

Album Here: https://postimg.cc/gallery/22krb18i8/
triumph627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:26 AM   #2
MrE
MrE began at the beginning.

Amazing, I'll test some of these later. Looks like a great contribution!

EDIT: Could you share how you made them? Do you have a template? I might make some additional icons later.

Last edited by MrE; 04-08-2019 at 03:31 AM.
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:29 AM   #3
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
i totally like your style and findings
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:40 AM   #4
triumph627
triumph627 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.triumph627 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.triumph627 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I used Affinity Designer to make them. I used the same rounded square outline on each of them, so that’s about as close to something like a template as I have. I can post that border when I get a chance. Like I said, if you have the right resources, they’re pretty easy to make, so if anyone has requests for specific apps, I could probably make a few in my spare time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #5
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Threadjack. How does Affinity Designer compare to Adobe Illustrator? I have the latter but it's an old version that's prior to the current Creative Suite subscription version; I don't use it enough to justify a subscription so never upgraded.

And are you using the desktop version or the iPad version?

Last edited by lumpynose; 04-08-2019 at 05:15 PM. Reason: added desktop vs ipad question
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:03 PM   #6
triumph627

Desktop version. I definitely prefer it, especially because I, like you and a lot of others, was stuck using outdated software because I didn’t want to use their crazy expensive subscription service. But it feels snappy and quick, and can do everything illustrator can do. There’s a little bit of a learning curve because it’s set up a bit differently, but I haven’t looked back and I would recommend it to anyone.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:18 PM   #7
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
The price is rather amazing compared to Illustrator, but then I can't remember how much Illustrator cost when you bought it separately. I just remember that it was a fraction of the price of Photoshop which surprised me because I thought Illustrator had a lot more stuff in it. Of course the prices are no doubt based on how popular something is, not how much code was in it.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #8
ehelldane
ehelldane began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Nova Pro
Others

The original Kindle Icon was included on my Nova Pro, but I use Kindle Lite so I had to change the Icon's name (Copy+Paste to get duplicate, change name), Same with Moon+ Reader Pro.

Examples,

Kindle:

com_amazon_kindle (normal) > com_amazon_klite (Kindle Lite)

Moon Reader:

com_flyersoft_moonreader (is free) > com_flyersoft_moonreaderp (is pro)

FYI, one can determine the names by visiting the app listing on play.google.com and looking at the web address :

... store/apps/details?id=com.amazon.klite

Just replace the periods with underscores.

Attached are FB, FB Messenger, a generic Sudoku & also Andoku, and OverDrive.
Attached Images

ehelldane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:40 AM   #9
ehelldane
ehelldane began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Nova Pro
Here's a Solid Explorer file browser icon. And a couple generic file browser icons.
Attached Images

Last edited by ehelldane; 12-07-2019 at 12:49 AM.
ehelldane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:06 AM   #10
danbarber
danbarber began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 2
Just picked up an Onyx Boox Poke 2 and was similarly disappointed with some of the icons. Thanks for this thread!

Here's a few icons I've made for mine so far, Google Play Store, Instapaper and Kindle. I left off the border because it seems the device adds that for you.
Attached Images

danbarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:31 AM   #11
triumph627

Those look good! I’m glad my post helped you out. I never tried adding an icon without the border, I didn’t realize it added it automatically. I’ll have to check that out!

Old 06-16-2020, 10:02 PM   #12
triumph627

Well I looked at all of my icons again, and got rid of the borders because the device automatically puts it in there. I also noticed a couple of updates ago that the icons lines got thinner and my earlier ones stood out like a sore thumb again, but I never got around to adjusting them. So I tried to get my icons to better match the default icons. They are for Protonmail, Comixology, Pocket, OneSync, iA Writer, and Firefox. I've attached those updated icons.

Old 06-17-2020, 04:43 PM   #13
danbarber
danbarber began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 2
Nice updates!

I made a few more (for Termux, Wireguard and Wikipedia) and also added links to the other three here as the filenames are important and the forum seems to hide those!

Last edited by danbarber; 06-17-2020 at 04:45 PM.
danbarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #14
aduffbrew
Enthusiast
aduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the roughaduffbrew is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boox Nova 2 & iPad Mini 5
Thanks for the info! Great little thread for customizing. I do have a weird situation, though. I can update 1password's icon no problem but com_agilebits_onepassword gets deleted from Storage/Download/Onyx/icons folder every time the device reboots. I don't have this problem with any other app. Any ideas on what's going on?
aduffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote