Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
alexisbrion
Designer based in Germany
alexisbrion began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
How often should the news be deleted?

Calibre is downloading news in a lovely way but I was wondering if setting how often news should be deleted commonly for all news is logical.

iTunes manages all podcasts in the same way but you can decide how many episodes you upload to your iPhone. Somehow [personal appreciation] I don't find logical to manage a daily newspaper in the same way as a weekly or monthly magazine.

Calibre allows me to set how often I want an specific news feed to be downloaded. That's great.

Specifically, I'm wondering now if:

"Delete downloaded news older than x days"

should also be a per-feed setting (instead of one that applies to all of them).

What do you think? Is this something we could ask to the nice Calibre guys?

Alex
alexisbrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Or
Keep n back issues?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Considering that news downloads are tiny, does it really matter?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
alexisbrion

The problem is that you start accumulating old copies that have to be deleted manually. Imagine you are downloading The Economist every 7 days, and The New York Times every day.*
Then you could have 2 different situations/problems:
- If you delete feeds older than 1 day: after one day you delete The Economist (not desire because it is a weekly magazine).*
- If you delete feeds older than 7 days: you don't have problems with The Economist but you will keep 7 copies of NYT. I think having so many copies at the same time is redundant and makes the library look busy.
Is that OK what I just described?
Alex

--
Old 02-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisbrion View Post
The problem is that you start accumulating old copies that have to be deleted manually. Imagine you are downloading The Economist every 7 days, and The New York Times every day.*
Then you could have 2 different situations/problems:
- If you delete feeds older than 1 day: after one day you delete The Economist (not desire because it is a weekly magazine).*
- If you delete feeds older than 7 days: you don't have problems with The Economist but you will keep 7 copies of NYT. I think having so many copies at the same time is redundant and makes the library look busy.
Is that OK what I just described?
Alex
--
Differing publication periods was why I suggested after n issues.

Some of us have readers that do not have a "Delete" and must connect to the computer (eg. Astak PP) to manage contents.

After connecting, Calibre takes 6+ minutes to populate (700+ books) the reader contents (get Meta-data OFF) . Reader contents sort is limited in Calibre without Meta data availabl, making locating the files tedious and error prone.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
alexisbrion

"Differing publication periods was why I suggested after n issues."

Yes, we are basically talking about the same thing, called in a different way. Maybe you are right, and it should be called that way.

Talking about newspapers, I'm interested in the last issue... older ones are outdated, who cares about them. So the setting would be "keep 1 issue".

For weekly magazines... actually, it's more or less the same. I'm interesting in the last one. Or maybe not... It could actually be "keep 3 issues" or something like that...

So we are talking about going from a n-days setting, to a n-issues approach, right?

I wonder if this behavior is logical for the rest of the users...

Alex

Tags
calibre