Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Kindle for iOS updates with "Send to Kindle" and PDF support.

Kindle on App Store

Version 2.9 brings following updates:
Quote:
iPad:
• New Design for Magazines: Kindle for iPad customers now have access to the huge selection of over 400 magazines and newspapers that are available on Kindle Fire. Magazines such as Martha Stewart Living, Food Network Magazine, Cosmopolitan, Men’s Health, Popular Science and many more are displayed in rich full-color pages. Customers can buy a single issue or subscribe to popular magazines and leading newspapers and have them wirelessly delivered to the Kindle for iPad app.
• Read print replica textbooks including rich formatting and layout of the print editions and support for notes and highlights, zoom and pan, and linked table of contents.

iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch:
• Email documents to your new Send-to-Kindle e-mail address and we deliver them to your device. The documents are automatically archived in the Amazon Cloud and available for re-download on your iOS or supported Kindle devices.
• Open PDFs from Mail or Safari, by transferring them from iTunes, or by sending them to your Send-to-Kindle email address. The Kindle PDF reader supports PDF table of contents and thumbnail navigation for quickly jumping through the document.
• New library organization allows you to view your Kindle Books, Newsstand, and Docs.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Finally! But does it support syncing of last read page for Send to Kindle documents?
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
hbtaylor
Enthusiast
hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: iPad 3, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
Finally! But does it support syncing of last read page for Send to Kindle documents?
It didn't for the one set of tests I ran. I sent an existing MOBI file. It showed up on the iPad just fine, but the sync icon was disabled. I downloaded the same file to my Fire. While the "Sync to Furthest Page" menu item was present and active on the Fire, it didn't have any effect for me.

If I went forward in the book on the Fire, it didn't reflect that position on the iPad. If I read forward on the iPad, it didn't reflect that position on the Fire. I sure hope that it is just something I missed, or that it is missing and gets added in short order, because having that capability would be great! Especially since this page states that "Whispersync of personal documents is currently supported on Kindle, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, as well as Kindle for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch".
hbtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
Janet16
Enthusiast
Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Nice, I love this update, then I could read magazines on my iPad freely.
And wish they'd provide a way to view all the Amazon video media I've purchased over the years on my Apple device, then I don't need to do so much converting with tools like iFunia.
Janet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbtaylor View Post
It didn't for the one set of tests I ran. I sent an existing MOBI file. It showed up on the iPad just fine, but the sync icon was disabled. I downloaded the same file to my Fire. While the "Sync to Furthest Page" menu item was present and active on the Fire, it didn't have any effect for me.

If I went forward in the book on the Fire, it didn't reflect that position on the iPad. If I read forward on the iPad, it didn't reflect that position on the Fire. I sure hope that it is just something I missed, or that it is missing and gets added in short order, because having that capability would be great! Especially since this page states that "Whispersync of personal documents is currently supported on Kindle, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, as well as Kindle for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch".
Once thing I noticed was that after I updated the iOS app, it created a second sent-to-email address for that device. Perhaps you can only sync between iDevices and not to a Kindle. Although that wouldn't make sense, hmm.
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
neonbible
Addict

Ok syncing is working for the iOS app!

Make sure you send it to your primary Send-to-Email address, the one which puts it in the Kindle archive. And from your Amazon Kindle account page, select Actions | Deliver to my.. and then select your iDevice.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
Thanks for the update, Neon.

Quick follow up question for those of you using this service. If I email a .mobi file to my Send-to-my-Kindle email address and then have that file delivered to my iPad via WiFi, does that incur a fee from Amazon? I read through their FAQ but was a bit confused over whether or not the fees applied to all document downloads or just downloads that occur over a 3G network.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
hbtaylor
Enthusiast
hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croptop View Post
Thanks for the update, Neon.

Quick follow up question for those of you using this service. If I email a .mobi file to my Send-to-my-Kindle email address and then have that file delivered to my iPad via WiFi, does that incur a fee from Amazon? I read through their FAQ but was a bit confused over whether or not the fees applied to all document downloads or just downloads that occur over a 3G network.
I agree the FAQ information on this topic is confusing. This page indicates that there are only fees for personal documents delivered by Whispernet. Documents delivered via WiFi would then be free. I think I found a page which specifically referenced the iPad in this context, but can't seem to find it.

All I can say for sure is that I've emailed several documents to my Fire and iPad email addresses, and haven't been charged for anything. While anecdotal, that would seem to confirm the information above.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:41 PM   #9
hbtaylor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
Ok syncing is working for the iOS app!

Make sure you send it to your primary Send-to-Email address, the one which puts it in the Kindle archive. And from your Amazon Kindle account page, select Actions | Deliver to my.. and then select your iDevice.
I just tried another file, and this one seems to allow syncing. I can't validate that it actually syncs between my Fire and my iPad, though. They both say I am at the furthest-read point even though each is at a different point, but at least the iPad app is presenting me with an enabled sync button!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
What also might cause problems is when the book isn't recognized as in the cloud. Sometimes happens on my Kindle. One way to verify is to check if it can be "removed" or "deleted". If the latter then it needs to be reconverted and sent again (only working solution I found so far, resending from amazon.com does not help).
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote