Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
demingite
Connoisseur
demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.demingite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro (gifted), Ectaco Jetbook Lite
enTourage Pocket eDGe on Woot today $149.99

http://www.woot.com/
demingite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Why the weird capitalization? I think it's very ugly and the lcd screen ratio is all wrong for reading. But that's just my opinion.

Potentially a good idea for those from the U of W study I quoted that used e-ink to read and their computer to write notes or do research at the same time.

Maybe Amazon will do something like this...

Last edited by RockdaMan; 05-04-2011 at 09:55 AM.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Too bad can't afford it. Something like that would be cool.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I don't think so. The specs are terrible - resistive touch, low res display, Android 1.6, no WiFi n, etc. I can see why it's being clearanced out.

Hey; if it drops below $100, I might get one for a toy.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
No wifi?

Why do they show Google on it?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
No wifi?

Just b & g; no n.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
No wifi?

He's saying it doesn't have 802.11n - it does have 802.11g which would be fine, IMHO. It only comes with Android 1.6, but comments over at woot say that people have installed 2.2 on it.

My own big fear is that you need special apps to take advantage of the second screen.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I just ordered one, because they had it in red. I figured the bright color would make up for any other deficiencies it has.

Seriously, it looks like an interesting toy and while I don't know exactly what I need it for, I'm sure that will work itself out. I had been looking at the discounted Kobo and Nook readers (<$100) but could not see myself using either device for anything (especially since Kindle will support library borrowing in a few months or so). The PE seems to have other possibilities (e.g. for learning Android development?), and a small but enthusiastic user community. It's probably not going to be a primary device for anything so it doesn't need to be perfect. I've always thought the dual screen form factor was kooky, but now I'll get to see if I was right about that.

There is a reportedly stable 2.2 beta release to work with, and it works with Amazon Appstore. The Entourage web site and forums are up and running, and with any luck they still will be around for at least a few weeks or months, despite rumors of impending demise.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I really enjoy mine! The two sides work together, and for my household wifi g is plenty good. Lots of apps available for the Android side. The e-ink side is as good as or better than my Sony PRS-900. Can handwrite or draw on e-ink, then turn that into a .pdf and send it from the tablet side. Call up a webpage on tablet, then "push" it over to read on e-ink side.

It's a little chunky, it's not super easy to learn, but if you like reading e-ink and researching (or light gaming ) on LCD it's a great companion. Calendar and journal functions, too. If you can afford to play, you might be pleasantly surprised!

I just hope the entourageedge.com website doesn't get overloaded with new people.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
Hey RockdaMan... It looks like you use the same avatar on both sites. You might mention to those still on the Entourage.com Forum that the site has stopped accepting registrations for the forum!

So, although Woot sold over 2,000 of them yesterday, and I happily scored one, you WON'T be hearing from any new users there!

I've ready nearly the entire site, and I'm more pleased at my purchase than before, even if the company tanks. I figure I never send back anything for repair anyway -- all new electronics are disposable. At $149, if the thing works like people say, it'll be a good tool.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_of_the_PEs View Post
You might mention to those still on the Entourage.com Forum that the site has stopped accepting registrations for the forum!
Very interesting. Fits the overall image, though; thanks for letting us know!

And: Welcome to MobileRead, Last_of_the_PEs !

Edit: Ah, seems it was only a quirk in the forums software.

Last edited by beachwanderer; 05-06-2011 at 04:28 AM.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #12
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I bought one for when I'm on the road and don't want to bring anything expensive. As I understand it you can set it up to work with a mobile broadband modem (I have that already), meaning I can pull up a map or do a quick search and have a fair chance of actually seeing something. 7" screen isn't very big, but lots bigger than my 3-something phone screen.
I can make my own little e-book listing things to remember, directions or whatever and have that on the e-Ink side.
I won't be using it at home. Probably not a whole lot at all, but at that price that's no big deal.
And I do like cool toys!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #13
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Welcome to the club, Asa!

If you haven't already, you might want to read the enTourage forum posts about using your mobile broadband modem. I think some brands don't work with the Ermine (Froyo beta) upgrade?? Anyway, might be worth a look. http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php

You will be able to make a mighty cool little book for yourself, I think.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote