Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
latest download - MSE detects security threat

potential threat detected

adware:win32/openCandy detected in sigil installer
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
cuthbert19
Enthusiast
cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Opus
That's nothing new, and the fact that the installer will propose you (off by default) to install a "random" open source software is a public fact

http://sigildev.blogspot.com/2011/01...sation_02.html

There was a post in this same section of MR forums, too ... here: A more serious conversation
cuthbert19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
potential threat detected

adware:win32/openCandy detected in sigil installer
There was discussion a while back when he added that (use generates $ for the Sigil developer).

Just say NO when it asks to install that (O C) portion.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i am aware it's not a "new" feature, but I don't recall seeing security alerts when I downloaded previous versions, and I don't like downloads which DO trigger alerts. suggest consider alternative revenue sources. I guess he's not paid anyway when we decline the adverts. just offer google / yahoo / ask toolbars instead ,like everyone else does :-)
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
There was a bug report about this. Bottom line, MS screwed up by tagging OC as adware, and now everything that includes it gets a warning. OC people looked into it, MS apologised and promised to remove the warning in future updates.

Bottom line it's a snafu on Microsoft's part. Feel free to ignore the warning.

The most ironic thing of all, MS advertises several products in the OpenCandy network.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
i am aware it's not a "new" feature, but I don't recall seeing security alerts when I downloaded previous versions, and I don't like downloads which DO trigger alerts. suggest consider alternative revenue sources. I guess he's not paid anyway when we decline the adverts. just offer google / yahoo / ask toolbars instead ,like everyone else does :-)
Not everyone declines, Just you and Me
BTW I sent him some $ a while back to keep up his spirits (or was that to buy some )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote