Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #16
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thanks JSWolf! I did install the second one. Do I still need to install the developer tools? Supposedly this is on my original disks? Also Python is an older version on the Mac. I hope this will still work, as I read it is really a challenge to uninstall Python and install a newer version on the Mac.

I did install the Pycrypto (2nd link, I was going to just look at it, but it downloaded it, so I went ahead and installed). If this doesn't work with my Python, can I uninstall Pycrypto without problems?

Sorry I am new to using Mac for installing programs.

Thanks, and what is my next step I have the key from my Windows computer already.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would think you could uninstall PyCrypto. But I am not familiar with the MAC implementation.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:36 PM   #18
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
I have the developer tools installed, but python should be there without them. If you open a whell and type `which python` you'll see.
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:16 AM   #19
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edembowski View Post
I have the developer tools installed, but python should be there without them. If you open a whell and type `which python` you'll see.
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Feb 6 2009, 19:02:12)
[GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>>
Old 08-25-2009, 08:25 AM   #20
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Yes, you need to install the developer tools.
I installed the tools then re-installed the pycrypto package as per the readme file instructions.
(ie from the Terminal, change to the directory where you downloaded the pycrypto files and type:
python (drag the setup file here without these brackets) install

That should the do it. You can then run it's test.

Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #21
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

If you don't have your install media handy, you can always download the dev tools from Apple. You might need a 'Developer Connection' account, but that's free also.

- Ed
Old 08-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #22
new

This is all over my head. I have never done programming and don't understand dragging something to the terminal.

Can you please write instructions for dummies?

When I double click on the ineptpdf.py it just opens the file, it doesn't make an applelet. I am soooo lost.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #23
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I don't know what you mean by "just opens the file".

So far I generally:
1) open the terminal programme.
2) Open the Finder and get to where the inept???.py script is.
3) n the terminal programme, type the word "python"
4) Then from the open Finder window, select your inept???.py script and drag it into the terminal, immediately after the word "python " you just typed so you'd end up with something like:

Alpha:~ Alpha$ python /Users/Howard/Documents/ineptepub.py

That then runs the programme which will ask you for
where your key file is located (the .der file)
where the book you need to free up is located
where you wish to save the result and what you wish to call it

Howard
Old 08-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #24
pthwaite
Fanatic

Deleted duplicate

Last edited by pthwaite; 08-25-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: For some reason it duplicated itself
Old 09-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #25
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Tiger users had better upgrade Python to the latest (2.6.2 worked here) http://www.python.org/
Note: latest Python needs to be installed before Pycrypto.

Last edited by AprilHare; 09-07-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: moar
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #26
BookLoverToo
Enthusiast
BookLoverToo doesn't litterBookLoverToo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Since upgrading to Snow Leopard, my pycrypto module no longer works, so I can't run the ineptepub.py script. When I do, I get an error stating that pycrypto needs to be installed, even though I have reinstalled it. I also reinstalled the developer tools. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
BookLoverToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #27
edembowski
Zealot

I haven't upgraded my machine yet, but if you recompile pycrypto you shouldn't have a problem. You can get the source from pycrypto.org.

- Ed
Old 09-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #28
BookLoverToo
Enthusiast
BookLoverToo doesn't litterBookLoverToo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by edembowski View Post
I haven't upgraded my machine yet, but if you recompile pycrypto you shouldn't have a problem. You can get the source from pycrypto.org.

- Ed
Sorry, but I'm relatively new to Mac. How would I recompile it? Thanks again.
BookLoverToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #29
edembowski
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookLoverToo View Post
Sorry, but I'm relatively new to Mac. How would I recompile it? Thanks again.
Remember, Mac == Unix.

EDIT: Source tar ball available at http://www.amk.ca/python/code/crypto.html

Download the source using git:

git clone git://git.pycrypto.org:9419/crypto/pycrypto-2.x.git
(more information on git here: http://git-scm.com/)

From the readme:

Code:
Installation
============

PyCrypto is written and tested using Python version 2.1 through 2.6,
though support for Python 2.1 will be dropped soon.  Python 1.5.2 is
not supported.

The modules are packaged using the Distutils, so you can simply run
"python setup.py build" to build the package, and "python setup.py
install" to install it.

If the setup.py script crashes with a DistutilsPlatformError
complaining that the file /usr/lib/python2.2/config/Makefile doesn't
exist, this means that the files needed for compiling new Python
modules aren't installed on your system.  Red Hat users often run into
this because they don't have the python2-devel RPM installed.  The fix
is to simply install the requisite RPM.  On Debian/Ubuntu, you need the
python-dev package.

To verify that everything is in order, run "python setup.py test".  It
will test all the cryptographic modules, skipping ones that aren't
available.  If the test script reports an error on your machine,
please report the bug using the bug tracker (URL given above).  If
possible, track down the bug and include a patch that fixes it,
provided that you are able to meet the eligibility requirements at
http://www.pycrypto.org/submission-requirements/.

To install the package under the site-packages directory of
your Python installation, run "python setup.py install".

If you have any comments, corrections, or improvements for this
package, please report them to our mailing list, accessible via the
PyCrypto website:

http://www.pycrypto.org/
You just need to `python setup.py build` and then `python setup.py install`.

- Ed

Last edited by edembowski; 09-25-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #30
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Is there any chance the key extraction will ultimately be retrievable using Mac only? My mac is MS free and I don't have a separate windows computer.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote