Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-23-2020, 12:53 PM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Christopher Tolkien

I totally missed it, but Christopher Tolkien died a week ago on Jan. 16th at the ripe age of 95. I'm a bit surprised it didn't get more notice.

Tolkien was the literary heir of his father, and was responsible to putting his father's papers in order, editing them and publishing them, most notably The Silmarillion, but also quite a few "unfinished" works and back story for LOTR and the Hobbit.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I too am surprised. I would have thought I would have run across this on news websites.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
The death was certainly posted on the BBC the following day: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-51143879

First broken by The Tolkein Society then Tor posted:
https://www.tolkiensociety.org/2020/...kien-has-died/

https://www.tor.com/2020/01/16/chris...arth-obituary/
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:21 PM   #4
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I remember seeing something about it on one of my RSS feeds when I was on a train into Chicago last Thursday afternoon. So it did recieve some mention, just perhaps didn't make its way over here.
EDIT: seems the first mention that I can easily find in my RSS feeds is a post on /r/fantasy that was posted around 11:30 AM Chicago time that day https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/com...kien_has_died/

EDIT: And it made Slashdot and BoingBoing as well

Last edited by binaryhermit; 01-23-2020 at 03:25 PM.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:36 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Sad, though he did leave us a legacy via the work he did on his father's writings. Certainly his name won't quickly be forgotten.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:41 PM   #6
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Somewhat offtopic, but I'm wondering, is there much his father wrote of worth that's still unpublished and someone who has the ability and desire to tidy it up for release?
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:51 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Somewhat offtopic, but I'm wondering, is there much his father wrote of worth that's still unpublished and someone who has the ability and desire to tidy it up for release?
A good question. I know he had done a lot of work in the "Lost Tales" and "Unfinished Tales" books. And of course "The Silmarillion" but I have no idea how much of his father's work may still be unedited.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:12 PM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
My daughter (16) told me about it a few days ago. We just watched the Hobbit trilogy, and she is now reading the book! We'll be watching LOTR (extended versions) as soon as she is ready. I think she'll read the books, too. I was sad to hear of his death, though 95 is pretty impressive.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:49 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I totally missed it, but Christopher Tolkien died a week ago on Jan. 16th at the ripe age of 95. I'm a bit surprised it didn't get more notice.

Tolkien was the literary heir of his father, and was responsible to putting his father's papers in order, editing them and publishing them, most notably The Silmarillion, but also quite a few "unfinished" works and back story for LOTR and the Hobbit.
I missed it also. After reading several of his long introductions to his father's "unfinished tales" I almost felt like I knew him. Sad news. May he rest in peace.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:41 AM   #10
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
He was a scholar rivaling his father in knowledge, though not in imagination. 95 is a great age to live up to.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:10 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
We'll know soon enough what comes next.
It might not be pretty.
To him his father's legacy was more than just a cash stream. The younger generation may not follow his standards. A special concern because of his age and long tenure as guardian of the legacy.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It might not be pretty.
To him his father's legacy was more than just a cash stream. The younger generation may not follow his standards. A special concern because of his age and long tenure as guardian of the legacy.
He had siblings I recall right. I have no idea if any of them is still with us though. And even if they are it's a given that none of them is very young either.

Last edited by crich70; 01-24-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:46 PM   #13
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I had no idea
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
We just watched the Hobbit trilogy, and she is now reading the book!
Watching the three Hobbit movies and still being willing to give the books a try is an amazing feat. I loved the Lord of the Rings movies and am a Peter Jackson fan in general (since he did Brain Dead/DeadAlive). Also, the Hobbit is my favorite book.

But those Hobbit movies were awful. I imagine it was the studio wanting another trilogy, but there is too much padding and simple scenes from the book were turned into extended action sequences.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #15
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It might not be pretty.
He actually turned all that over two years ago, about the time that Amazon announced they had acquired the rights to LOTR (Amazon is suppose to start filming next month and they have already signed for a second season).
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote