Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 10-05-2020, 09:43 AM   #1
davidblair
davidblair began at the beginning.

Device: android
moonreader Pro making second copy

I am using Moonreader Pro with Calibre Companion. They are both set to SD Card/Books as the main directory. When I am in Calibre Companion, and click READ for any book, it both opens the book in MoonReader Pro, and makes a copy of the book in SD Card/Books/MoonReader/attachments . The problem with this is that then Calibre Companion and Calibre sees that there are two copies, which makes keeping track of reading on many books difficult. What is the solution? Thanks

thanks,
David Blair
davidblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:06 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
IIRC there is a setting in MR to not make a copy when passed a book (from CC)

(sorry, it is one of those Set and forget about type settings, so I can't tell you where )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:50 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
If there is such a setting, that is news to me. Don't recall reading of one elsewhere either.
Moon makes a copy because it is a well behaved android app which does what Google says it must do.

The only workaround is to stop using the read button in cc and use the my files or shelf options in moon instead.
What I do nowadays is get the books onto device then use moon import to shelf and open or read only from there or from recent ab.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:40 PM   #4
davidblair

hi thanks for the reply! I'm on Android, and can't find that... the developer vaguely replied in email that CC didn't pass the proper name or location, and that is why the book is copied as an "attachment" in the folder. I'm new to both, and am rather confused by this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
IIRC there is a setting in MR to not make a copy when passed a book (from CC)

(sorry, it is one of those Set and forget about type settings, so I can't tell you where )
Old 10-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
davidblair

hi stumped, thanks for the reply... I read in a 2019 post by you in another area here, the first quote below... so i guess you got caught in the web of this problem as well, eventually? Sigh, thanks for the newer info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
It does not., Unless you have configured it strangely.
It makes a small database entry of the books metadata is all
that database is stored separately from the books but it only contains metadata and a cover thumbnail
Evidence:
. If i search my entire tablet for..epub, each book exists in one place only
. If I choose a book currently being read in moon, and go delete it from the original download folder where I put it, then next time I open moon it will say the book is now missing..

Maybe there is an option within its hundreds of options to have it make complete copies, but that is not the default behaviour

I also have android 8 on this device.

Quote:
If there is such a setting, that is news to me. Don't recall reading of one elsewhere either.
Moon makes a copy because it is a well behaved android app which does what Google says it must do.

The only workaround is to stop using the read button in cc and use the my files or shelf options in moon instead.
What I do nowadays is get the books onto device then use moon import to shelf and open or read only from there or from recent ab.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
The issue is not with moon per se, it's with Google android rules for how apps must share data.
I think , technically, the copy is created by cc when you tap read and moon is just told where to find it.

Did not happen in the 2018, 2019 versions of cc, only happens with the new 2020 versions.

There's a lot of discussion of the technical reasons why but it's scattered across multiple threads, mostly in the calibre companion forum

I tried to fool the system by assigning the same default folder paths to cc and moon. But it just put the copies into /moon reader..moonreader or some such new folder anyway.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:23 PM   #7
davidblair

thanks for your replies [both of you!], I much appreciate it.

Quote:
The issue is not with moon per se, it's with Google android rules for how apps must share data.
I think , technically, the copy is created by cc when you tap read and moon is just told where to find it.

Did not happen in the 2018, 2019 versions of cc, only happens with the new 2020 versions.

There's a lot of discussion of the technical reasons why but it's scattered across multiple threads, mostly in the calibre companion forum

I tried to fool the system by assigning the same default folder paths to cc and moon. But it just put the copies into /moon reader..moonreader or some such new folder anyway.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:43 PM   #8
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
CC generates a content URI from the file when you click on "Read". See https://developer.android.com/refere...rovider#GetUri.

It is up to the receiving app how to handle that content. Moonreader does what is expected: it assumes a short-living permission and copies the stream to a file on its own, to be able to open it on the future.

If CC new company decides to hire a dev they can implement the last part of https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...30&postcount=6 in 10 minutes and move on (or give sound reasons if they consider it a bad idea). Until then CC users are suggested to rollback to 5.4.4.1 (or any version lower than that) or live with the read button making copies.
pazos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:02 PM   #9
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Windows 10 tablet,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
CC generates a content URI from the file when you click on "Read". See https://developer.android.com/refere...rovider#GetUri.

It is up to the receiving app how to handle that content. Moonreader does what is expected: it assumes a short-living permission and copies the stream to a file on its own, to be able to open it on the future.

If CC new company decides to hire a dev they can implement the last part of https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...30&postcount=6 in 10 minutes and move on (or give sound reasons if they consider it a bad idea). Until then CC users are suggested to rollback to 5.4.4.1 (or any version lower than that) or live with the read button making copies.
This is why MR makes copies:

Quote:
The API's rules for google require us to hand off a file to the reader, we can not pull from CC folder books. We are looking into the effort it might take to return to only reading the CC book file.
if you want to complain then do it to google. Any new or updated app will have to meet the google api.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:02 PM   #10
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
@gbm: MoonReader can open both schemes, file and content. It is up to the app sending the intent to MR.

But I'm repeating myself. All I can say is already on the two posts above (one in this thread, the other linked).

If some developer wants to show this is not possible and the app is rejected if submitted with a lax VM policy I'm all ears. That was not the case in Dec 19, it shouldn't be the case now.

I see why it's not a good idea (see the post linked) but being a bad idea and being impossible are two different things
pazos is online now   Reply With Quote