Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
Walt1
Walt1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Library book will not open

I am running ADE 4.5.126523 on a Windows 10 PC. Occasionally, a downloaded library book will not open in my Kobo Aura H2O after being copied from the bookshelf in ADE. It displays the Oops message, that the device is not authorized, but of course, it is. It shows on the Kobo from within ADE, and the book can be read from within ADE. If I go back to the library (with or without closing ADE), and borrow a different book, I have no problem reading it on the Kobo. A different Kobo and different computer, authorized with the same Adobe ID as the other two devices, exhibits the same behaviour. Also, a different library shows the same behaviour with the same book. Both libraries use Overdrive. If I am persistent, and delete all files associated with the book on both the PC and the Kobo, and continue week after week trying to get it to work, it finally does. This has happened with four different books now.
I have absolutely no idea what the problem is, but it seems that it has to be ADE or Overdrive. Appreciate any help.
Walt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What you need to do is uninstall ADE 4.5 and install ADE 2.0.1. It could be a DRM issue because ADE 4.5 supports DRM that no Kobo can read. ADE 2.0.1 does not support this new DRM. So any library ePub you download with ADE 2.0.1 will be readable on your H2O.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #3
Walt1
Walt1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand. 99.99% of library books work just fine with ADE 4.5 and my Kobo. Are you saying that some library books have a DRM that my Kobo can't read?
Walt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It could be possible. It makes no sense why some would not work unless the DRM was different. Besides, ADE 4 could screw you on purchased ePub as well. So you'd be safer with ADE 2.0.1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:45 AM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Even if the book had the new DRM, kobo devices should be able to read it. They have had the capability to read the new DRM since firmware version 3.5.0 (July 2014).

There could just be something wrong with that book. Kobo devices sometimes report a DRM error if there is something else wrong with the book, even if the book has no DRM at all. But if that is the case there might not be much you can do about it except report the problem to the library or OverDrive.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #6
Dave R
Dave R began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H20
Using ADE 4.5 here without problems. However I did have some issues downloading library books when I first got the reader and had to do a factory reset.

Since then , on the advice of another member of this forum I always:

1. Use the Kobo reader itself (rather than ADE) to remove books once I have read them

2. Before connecting to the PC to download new books from ADE I switch the reader completely off (not just sleep) thereby ensuring it is downloading onto a freshly started reader.

Doing the above I have not had a single issue.

Dave
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote