Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #76
Carnyx
Zealot
Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
You can turn the volume down on the text to speech if you are using it only for page turning. That is what people do at the gym. That said, it is a nice addition if you find yourself in a position where you cannot read and the books you are interested in are not available as audio books. The voice is not great but it is better then nothing.
Yes, that's along the same lines as what I was thinking. It's like having a suit made of salami - far from ideal, but you'd certainly wear it on a cold day if there were no other clothes available. Ok maybe I'd better stay away from analogies.
Thanks,
David.
Carnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #77
Carnyx
Zealot
Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
All of the Kindles have Text to Speech except for the Kindle Mini (Kindle Non-Touch). The 3G or WiFi capability does not influence the text to speech.

You can also download books from sites like Mobile Read and email them to her Kindle. So she does not need a PC because even non-Amazon books can be sent wirelessly to her device. I believe that there is still a free email address, it takes longer but there is no charge. Again, something to look into.
Well that's good to know. I think the straight-to-device features are about the best thing going for an E-Reader for somebody who's imobile. They just need to polish the speech recognition and they'll pass muster.
Thanks
David.
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #78
Carnyx
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
An important consideration, I think -- it seems like there's a fair amount of speculation going on here about exactly what will work or not work. Given that, I'd strongly recommend Kindle models, since their customer service and return policies are the best around, full stop. You could even go so far as to order all three possible Kindle models (Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Non-Touch, and Kindle Touch), and try them out. Keep the one that works the best, and return the other two.
Ah if only the Kindle Touch were an option in the UK. Sounds like it's round the corner but not available yet. Good tip about Amazon and returns though. I had wondered about this - it's nigh on impossible to get her to a shop so, I'd wondered about possibilities for trialling devices. I'd be *astonished* though if Amazon would agree to that - they wouldn't even reply to my email for heaven's sake! Great if they would agree though.
Thanks Charlie,
David.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #79
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you know someone in the US they can send you a Kindle Touch. Just a thought
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #80
Carnyx
Zealot

Quote:
If you know someone in the US they can send you a Kindle Touch. Just a thought
Good idea, but
(a)I don't know anyone in the US
(b)if I did, would the Kindle Touch support 3G in the UK I wonder?
Thanks,
David.
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #81
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnyx View Post
Now I thought the Kindle Keyboard was the same thing as the Kindle Non-Touch. Don't tell me ther'e another one to add to the mix!?
There was Kindle 1 - the original UGLY one

There was Kindle 2

then there was Kindle 2 - international version - with different chipset for mobile phone network

Kindle DX - the large 9 inch one

Kindle DX International version - the large 9 inch one

Kindle DX graphite with 9 inch pearl display

Kindle 3 - now called by Amazon "Kindle keyboard"

Kindle 3 WiFi only - like the above one, but without 3G - now called by Amazon "Kindle keyboard" WiFi only

Kindle 3 with special offers (advertisments) - Like above only with adds and reduced price

Kindle 3 WiFi only - with special offers (advertisments) - Like above only with adds and reduced price

Kindle (*) - the one without keyboard, only with a few buttons. This one lacks 3G network, but please feel free to correct me, there is waaaaay too many of them by now ;-)
(also informally known as Kindle 4, because by now we suspect that sooner or later there WILL be another model ;-) )

Kindle (*) with special offers - Like above only with adds and reduced price

Kindle touch

Kindle touch WiFi only

Kindle touch with special offers

Kindle touch WiFi only with special offers

and finally, there is Kindle Fire - entirely different beast, with color LCD screen - this is supposed to be tablet for the masses that can't afford iPad

... Ufff ...
Until now I didn't realize there is SO many of them.
For better description see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle

(*) Amazon is greatly complicating matters by calling EACH new model simply "The Kindle", so the old models acquire better description, such as Kindle 2, only when the new model comes out.

What you want is "Kindle keyboard" (also known as Kindle 3) the one that *isn't* labeled "WiFi only"
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #82
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnyx View Post
Apparently the guys who are looking at potentially designing a stand have also been asked to investigate the possibility of hooking the E-Reader up to the remote control device that she has for operating lights, TV etc. Sounds like a heck of a big ask though, connecting 2 bespoke technologies that were not designed to be hooked up to anything else - will be amazed if they can pull that off but we'll see.
I can imagine this to be fairly simple.
You purchase a solenoid http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoi...ical_solenoids connect it mechanically to "next page" button and switch the power for the solenoid on/off using the remote. That is it.
Did I tell you my specialization was Industrial Automation

Oh ...
One more thing ;-)
If you ever decide to go down the "hacking" route, there is no need to purchase *new* device. You are going to blow warranty anyway opening the device, so why not buy a second-hand one.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #83
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Check the Flea Market here. You might find a K3 or a Kindle Touch for sale. Or you could post a topic that you are looking to buy one.

The 3G will work in the UK. It does not matter where the Kindle is purchased.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #84
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I suggest you go with a simple solution
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #85
Carnyx
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
There was Kindle 1 - the original UGLY one
Until now I didn't realize there is SO many of them.
For better description see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle

(*) Amazon is greatly complicating matters by calling EACH new model simply "The Kindle", so the old models acquire better description, such as Kindle 2, only when the new model comes out.

What you want is "Kindle keyboard" (also known as Kindle 3) the one that *isn't* labeled "WiFi only"
Thanks for listing all the Kindle models. I thought Kindle Keyboard was called Kindle 3G for some reason - making it up as I go along.
Luckily, they only give 3 options on the UK Amazon site so it limits your choice anyway. Hey if they made a mniature model and call it "Kindling" (copyrighted by me on 13/02/12)
Thanks Kacir,
David.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #86
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I can see the confusion. The Kindle Keyboard was known as the Kindle 3 until the Non-Touch and Touch were released. There were a lot of varities that were available so it got confusing fast.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #87
Carnyx
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I can imagine this to be fairly simple.
You purchase a solenoid http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoi...ical_solenoids connect it mechanically to "next page" button and switch the power for the solenoid on/off using the remote. That is it.
Did I tell you my specialization was Industrial Automation
Sole... what now? Did I mention that my specialization is drinking red wine and watching movies?? Nah I'm just kidding - that actually sounds like a good idea as long as there was a suitable remote.
Quote:
Oh ...
One more thing ;-)
If you ever decide to go down the "hacking" route, there is no need to purchase *new* device. You are going to blow warranty anyway opening the device, so why not buy a second-hand one.
Yes that's a good point about second-hand. I imagine you have to be prepared to fork out for more than one device before it's finished.
Thanks Kacir,
David.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #88
Carnyx
Zealot

Quote:
Check the Flea Market here. You might find a K3 or a Kindle Touch for sale. Or you could post a topic that you are looking to buy one.

The 3G will work in the UK. It does not matter where the Kindle is purchased.
Now that I am surprised at. I thought it would be a different chip(or whatever drives the 3G - could be a mouse on a wheel for all I know) in the US to the UK.
Hmmmm - that's really making me wonder now.
So in theory there's nothing to stop me importing a Kindle Touch from the US and using it here via 3G surely?
Has anyone in the UK reading this done this successfully?
Thanks ProfCash,
David.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #89
Carnyx
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I suggest you go with a simple solution
Well that's what I'm aiming for. Want to keep it as simple as possible with as little outside intervention required as possible. Might not be possible but good to aim high.
Thanks,
David.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #90
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

It is a different chip but Amazon promises global 3G coverage for Kindles with 3G. That means that I should be able to have 3G coverage any where in the world with my Kindle that was purchased in the US.

There is one chip for the US and Canada and another chip for the rest of the globe. I believe that this is reflected in the serial number so Amazon knows what they are dealing wtih. Both work globally. No issues.

Tags
accessibility, accessible, arthritis, best ereader