Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-13-2020, 10:26 PM   #1
celiabooks
celiabooks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
What are my options for sharing library with 2 PCs?

I have been using Calibre happily with my Kindle for a while now. My wife recently got her own Kindle and I am looking for a way for her to access the Calibre library on her own PC. Both PCs are laptops and we have no always-on PC, so can't run the Calibre server.

The Calibre library is currently on a Synology NAS, and I've had no issues with this setup (my PC connects to the NAS Calibre library over the network). If I understand some of the warnings I have read - I should NOT try to connect a second PC Calibre installation to the same library for fear of corrupting it. Is this true even if only one Calibre install will ONLY be used for reading the library and transferring books to a Kindle?

I can export the library and re-import it locally to my wife's PC but that will require a manual update every so often to keep the libraries in sync. I see some have had luck installing a Calibre server on Syno NAS but that seems above my skill level.

Is there any better way? I don't need cloud access, I am happy to connect my Kindle to my PC to download books, and have my wife connect her Kindle to her PC to do the same.
celiabooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:03 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You could look into the possibility of doing a one-way sync of the library from the Synology NAS to your wife's laptop at windows startup.

Another alternative might be for your wife to use the calibre-spy plugin to access the library on the NAS directly, it is read only so there's no problems with concurrent updates. But I don't think it provides any direct Kindle connection features - maybe they could be added. See ==>> Index of plugins

Added: Calibre Server on the NAS is of course the other way, your wife might have to use a browser on her kindle to get books from it - assuming that's possible.

PS: There are probably other ways.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-14-2020 at 01:15 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:33 AM   #3
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Personally, I'd have a library on each pc. There's a whole sticky somewhere about the dangers of networked, etc, drives.

Found it:
FAQ Link on nas...
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:46 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
agree
cop[y the library, one time, from NAS to a local drive on her PC, and set up her calibre to use that.
you can then sync the libraries over LAN when all devices are on.
treat yours as the master - yours because that is where you do the new book adds.
set up a free utility like freefilesync to do a one way mirror to her laptop. Once configured and run once to create the relevant records it will only take a few seconds to update small changes to your master library. Run as needed
i suggest you run the sync from her laptop, and grant "everyone" read access to your library folder in windows, as a shared windows folder. it will not need write access to that master copy because its doing a one way mirror, and not having that access is another safety feature. EdIt i see the library is actually on a NAS, not local to your PC, dunno if that changes any mechanism for sharing- probably not, if the NAS is a mapped network drive. but with this setup you could arguably dispense with the NAS, and keep the 2 libraries on teh 2 laptops

Last edited by stumped; 03-14-2020 at 02:49 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:53 PM   #5
celiabooks
celiabooks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thanks all - you made me think of something I hadn't before. Synology offers their own sync program (like a local Dropbox). I just set that up to sync my library from the NAS to my wife's laptop which her install of Calibre can then use. Works perfectly!

@Bookstooge I did read the warnings against using ANY networked/NAS library but have had no issues for years. Now with it being sync'ed to my wife's laptop at least I'll have a backup if something does get corrupted.... although I guess the corruption might also get synced!

Thank you!
celiabooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:17 AM   #6
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
You've been warned and have chosen to proceed. Best of luck and for your sake I hope things continue going well.
But don't expect any sympathy if something does go wrong at a later date.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:29 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by celiabooks View Post
Thanks all - you made me think of something I hadn't before. Synology offers their own sync program (like a local Dropbox).
Which is precisely what I had in mind when I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You could look into the possibility of doing a one-way sync of the library from the Synology NAS to your wife's laptop at windows startup.
I didn't elaborate because I have not used that particular feature of Synology. Good luck with it, providing it is a one-way sync (also known as a mirror) the likelihood of any problems is pretty small.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-15-2020 at 06:31 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote