Notices

Old 04-25-2021, 02:14 PM   #76
michaelbr
Connoisseur
michaelbr began at the beginning.

Device: Android 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can have a look at the Wiki and see if the directions work for you.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ADE_2.0.1_Linux

If you still have a problem with ADE 2.0.1 under Wine, you can have a read of the following thread on MR and ask for help if you still cannot get it working after reading the thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283324
@JSWolf, thanks for your prompt reply, I just followed the first post/wiki, and as soon as I tried to create the wineprefix, got error (please see the error in my OP). Sorry, I'm confused, the 2nd thread is the one I'm posting right now.

Last edited by michaelbr; 04-25-2021 at 02:17 PM.
michaelbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:49 PM   #77
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbr View Post
@JSWolf, thanks for your prompt reply, I just followed the first post/wiki, and as soon as I tried to create the wineprefix, got error (please see the error in my OP). Sorry, I'm confused, the 2nd thread is the one I'm posting right now.
Posts from JSWolf are frequently deficient in relevance, usefulness, or truth. Many people find them confusing.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2021, 12:38 PM   #78
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Also appears to be a Windows user.

I'd use a VM, if I was fussed about ADE and if wouldn't work on WINE.

I don't remove DRM from the Library books and the only other DRM I encounter is from Amazon, mobi/azw or azw3. I avoid KFX.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:50 AM   #79
michaelbr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Posts from JSWolf are frequently deficient in relevance, usefulness, or truth. Many people find them confusing.
Thanks for the tips, it's good to know.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:56 AM   #80
michaelbr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Also appears to be a Windows user.

I'd use a VM, if I was fussed about ADE and if wouldn't work on WINE.

I don't remove DRM from the Library books and the only other DRM I encounter is from Amazon, mobi/azw or azw3. I avoid KFX.
Thanks for the tips, I was a Windows user, so not that familiar with Linux/VM, will it take too much space to install VM+Windows? If Windows will be fully functional, I'd give it a try (different from Wine, where some apps works, others not). Any tips where I can get tutorial/reading to install VM+Windows?
ps: sorry for the dumb question, what's KFX?
Advert
Old 04-27-2021, 09:06 AM   #81
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You need a copy of windows.
Virtual Box comes with most versions of Linux and creates a fake computer. You allocate RAM and disk space.
A DVD, USB , ISO etc can be "mounted" as if a CD/DVD player.
USB serial and parallel ports can be mapped as if actual serial & parallel (as with Wine).

Follow MS instructions for installing Win7 or XP on the included VM with Win10!
Use this free MS tool to make an image of an existing RUNNING Windows for a VM! Intended for use with a VM on Win10, but works with VM on Linux. There are default settings that need changed and even if the BIOS/PC has UEFI, it works as long as the source Windows uses Legacy BIOS boot.

You then install "Guest tools" by mounting it as a DVD on the guest Windows and it installs network, USB and Graphics drivers.

Using an external USB 3.5" HDD, the image of my Dell i8200 laptop's XP (a 1.8GHz P4) runs FASTER with 1000Gbps lan instead of 100, and superior graphics on the Linux Mint 64 bit host. An 8 G RAM i5 with 500 G HDD. I have wine too.
I have two Windows VMs, one has full Office XP with later Visio and Mappoint. and the other has Word 2007 & Excel 2007. I have Word 2003 on Wine, the only version of office really stable on Wine and maybe one of the best. I have a Classic Office Menu Plugin (free download) to make Word 2007 have sensible WIMP GUI instead of stupid ribbon, which sensibly is only an option on LibreOffice (the Note tab bar or something).

KFX is the proprietary successor to Kindle azw3 (KF8) which you get for Kindle apps/Program and direct wifi/3G whispernet instead of download to PC for USB transfer.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:11 AM   #82
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Um, the default check box settings on disk2VHD didn't work and it has 3 check boxes not two.
Installing fresh from a Windows disk inside the VM is simpler.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:37 AM   #83
michaelbr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You need a copy of windows.
Virtual Box comes with most versions of Linux and creates a fake computer. You allocate RAM and disk space.
A DVD, USB , ISO etc can be "mounted" as if a CD/DVD player.
USB serial and parallel ports can be mapped as if actual serial & parallel (as with Wine).

Follow MS instructions for installing Win7 or XP on the included VM with Win10!
Use this free MS tool to make an image of an existing RUNNING Windows for a VM! Intended for use with a VM on Win10, but works with VM on Linux. There are default settings that need changed and even if the BIOS/PC has UEFI, it works as long as the source Windows uses Legacy BIOS boot.

You then install "Guest tools" by mounting it as a DVD on the guest Windows and it installs network, USB and Graphics drivers.

Using an external USB 3.5" HDD, the image of my Dell i8200 laptop's XP (a 1.8GHz P4) runs FASTER with 1000Gbps lan instead of 100, and superior graphics on the Linux Mint 64 bit host. An 8 G RAM i5 with 500 G HDD. I have wine too.
I have two Windows VMs, one has full Office XP with later Visio and Mappoint. and the other has Word 2007 & Excel 2007. I have Word 2003 on Wine, the only version of office really stable on Wine and maybe one of the best. I have a Classic Office Menu Plugin (free download) to make Word 2007 have sensible WIMP GUI instead of stupid ribbon, which sensibly is only an option on LibreOffice (the Note tab bar or something).

KFX is the proprietary successor to Kindle azw3 (KF8) which you get for Kindle apps/Program and direct wifi/3G whispernet instead of download to PC for USB transfer.
Thanks so much for your detailed explanation, it's much appreciated. It seems there are several flavors of VM, which one in your opinion is best suited for Linux to install Windows 8.1? I'm avoiding installing Windows 10 because when I was using it, even with no updating/upgrade set, the OS still load a bunch of garbages into Windows 10 (not sure how it'll behave under VM), so I'll stay away from 10 if possible.
ps: just curious, why you have Wine & VM? Does VM slow down a lot?
Old 04-28-2021, 10:11 AM   #84
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Virtual box is often already installed or a click away. Mount Guest Tools as a DVD in the guest OS at first boot and install drivers.

Also you can snapshot and pause. No need to shut down & reboot!
Going to use the Web or install SW that might not work? Snapshot first.
Snapshots are far far faster than the real HW. Also you can clone copy and have a 2nd VM with a different version of a program. Say Office 2003 in one VM and Office 2007 in another.

WINE is running on the real HW with translation of Windows API calls to Linux. The desired program is in an ordinary window. The Application uses only as much RAM as it uses on Windows.

However the VM is maybe as fast. It's not an emulator, which is why the Apple M1 is currently not a good host. You need a CPU compatible with the client OS.

A VM is an entire desktop in a window, or fullscreen or in a 2nd monitor. The RAM used is that for an ENTIRE OS. My wife runs Scrabble that way and since it's the ONLY windows program she runs, she doen't exit it. She pauses the VM. Has an Icon for the VM called Scrabble. Scrabble doesn't run in WINE.

But if I wanted to use Windows version of Eagle (there is a Linux version), Word 2003, Orbitron Sat tracker, or Analog Device's LTSpice I'd use WINE. The programs are icons or in the main menu as if on linux. They run in a normal window.
But PaintShop7,GST/GSP Designworks & Pressworks and some other software needs a VM with XP even on Win7 and W10. They won't install on Wine.
I've other windows programs that will work on 32 bit Win10 (yes it exists! or did!) and 32 bit Win7, but not at all on 64 bit Win7 or 64 bit Win10. Any VB6 program using RS232 OCX won't run on 64 bit windows.

On 64 bit Linux you need to add the x86 arch variable BEFORE installing WINE or you can't install the 32 bit WINE, only 64 bit WINE. And all your old Windows programs are likely 32 bit.
NT 4.0 64 bit Alpha version is why there are stupid directory name conventions on x86 vs x64 Windows. There was then a 64 bit XP for Itanium about the same time as 32 bit Server 2003.
NT before XP could address more than 4G RAM.
Don't bother with VMs for Win3.x or earlier (install in DOSbox), Win95, WinME, NT3.x NT 4.0, Win2K, Vista or Win8. The Win98, XP, Win7 and Win10 VMs will between them run any windows SW that won't work on WINE.