Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-21-2010, 05:35 AM   #1
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
50,000 pages reading challenge

Starting today I'm embarking on a 50,000 pages reading challenge. The goal is to read a total of 50,000 pages. The paperback page count of a book will be used in the case of ebooks.

Anyone else who wants to join in the challenge are welcome.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I would love to try. It might be kind of hard for me to keep track of though. I know that on goodreads it keeps track of the pages you read, but it doesn't include re-reads. I re-read a lot of books.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Is an epub page equivalent to a paperback page?
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Is an epub page equivalent to a paperback page?
I think Crusader is suggesting that for each book you read, go to Amazon (or wherever) look up the paperback version, take note of the page count and give yourself credit for that many pages.

I admire those of you who participate in this and/or the 100 book challenge. I can't deal with the pressure of trying to make a particular reading goal, so I'll watch from the sidelines and cheer you all on!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I think Crusader is suggesting that for each book you read, go to Amazon (or wherever) look up the paperback version, take note of the page count and give yourself credit for that many pages.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. It's very difficult to establish a standard page size for ebooks since there are even more variables than for a print book. Using the paperback equivalent is just a relatively easy way to cope with it.

Even print books have different page sizes/fonts which makes the page measurement a little "fuzzy". Luckily this is a challenge meant to be fun so we won't be too pedantic or academic about the definition of a page.
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I suggest we use ePub page numbers. They are standardized.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
Crusader
Space Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suggest we use ePub page numbers. They are standardized.
The problem with that is that most of my reading will still be for physical books interspersed with ebooks.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
The problem with that is that most of my reading will still be for physical books interspersed with ebooks.
The other problem is that pBooks have different paging. Hardciver, large print, MMPB, TPB, etc. So what format pBook will be used for this 50,000 page challenge?

Well stolen ticker idea.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-21-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It doesn't have to be so complicated. Pick the paperback of your choice and use it for your page count. I doubt anyone will check up on you and challenge your page count.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
Crusader
Space Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The other problem is that pBooks have different paging. Hardciver, large print, MMPB, TPB, etc. So what format pBook will be used for this 50,000 page challenge?

Well stolen ticker idea.
TPB or MMPB should suffice. As I said the actual page definition doesn't matter all that much to me.

Your ticker looked so cool I just had to see how it works. Also want something that's easy to keep up to date for multiple sites. So kudos for your original idea

I reverted to normal text since I don't particularly like the look fo the ticker and it was a bit tedious to update.

Last edited by Crusader; 12-21-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Made some changes
Old 12-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm looking forward to being able to play with my ticker. I'll also be using goodreads to keep track of what I've read in 2011. So I will also be putting my goodreads link in my signature next to my ticker if I can.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #12
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

I'd say use paperback or hardcover since sometimes there is no paperback. Use the epub or mobi if it is ebook only. Just choose whatever males sense to you!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #13
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I would love to try. It might be kind of hard for me to keep track of though. I know that on goodreads it keeps track of the pages you read, but it doesn't include re-reads. I re-read a lot of books.
Perhaps when you do a re-read, you could add a different edition of the book in question than the one you already have on goodreads, so that goodreads can keep track of the pages.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #14
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I think I'll join this challenge, if for no other reason than to see how many pages I get though a year. This is a better indication of how much I read than counting the number of books I've read this year. I keep on forgetting to add new books to my goodreads account after I've read them, I'll try to keep better track this coming year.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #15
Care
Aes Sedai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Perhaps when you do a re-read, you could add a different edition of the book in question than the one you already have on goodreads, so that goodreads can keep track of the pages.
Great idea, unfortunately I tried that and it didn't seem to work for me. I choose the ebook editions of a series I read and it didn't add them. I think it's because it isn't a different listing, it just says 'Switch to this edition'. Some books do have multiples listed, so that would probably work.

Or it could just be me. Sometimes GR system doesn't seem to like me.