Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
Colbane
Colbane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2
Help: EReader with Buttons

Looking for an eInk device with page buttons. I would like a decent quality screen and prefer 6.8" or 8" reader if possible. If a larger screen reader with buttons doesn't exist yet, I'm fine with a 6". Does anyone have any ideas? The only one I could find that looked pretty good was this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6C3RRL...I39AIPQDTSCZUR
Colbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:28 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You must not have looked very hard.

Amazon has the Kindle Oasis with buttons.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
Colbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Actually I've looked very hard. The Oasis is quite expensive. I should have mentioned I also don't want to be married to Amazon for this device since I already have a Voyage. I've seen a lot of devices but I came here because people might actually have them and recommend one over the other. Is that not what this board is for?

Last edited by Colbane; 02-27-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:08 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbane View Post
Actually I've looked very hard. The Oasis is quite expensive. I should have mentioned I also don't want to be married to Amazon for this device since I already have a Voyage. I've seen a lot of devices but I came here because people might actually have them and recommend one over the other. Is that not what this board is for?

You didn't mention any of this until now - in your current post.

Therefore, I responded only to what you had written - in your very first post.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

The OP is looking for a larger than 6" screen. So if a Reader with buttons exists that's got a screen larger than 6", that would forgo a Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Pocketbook Inkpad 2 and the Onyx Boox i86 both are 8" and both have buttons.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:30 PM   #7
Colbane

Quote:
You didn't mention any of this until now - in your current post.

Therefore, I responded only to what you had written - in your very first post.
Yes, a very nice welcome indeed. As mentioned, it also has a 6" screen. Thanks JS Wolf, I'll check those other two. Where can I buy them in the United States?

Does anyone have experience with this Inkbook brand?

Last edited by Colbane; 02-27-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:30 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, a very nice welcome indeed. As mentioned, it also has a 6" screen. Thanks JS Wolf, I'll check those other two. Where can I buy them in the United States?

If you are interested in the Onyx Book i86, send a PM to Booxter. He can help you get one. I don't know where to get the Pocketbook Inkpad 2. You could ask in the Pocketbook forum.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:15 PM   #9
Colbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are interested in the Onyx Book i86, send a PM to Booxter. He can help you get one. I don't know where to get the Pocketbook Inkpad 2. You could ask in the Pocketbook forum.
Thanks again. I like my Kindle Voyage for quality, but I have a couple problems with it. One, I don't like the "buttons" it has. You have to squeeze them or press down hard. This isn't really a big deal as I can just touch the screen to advance. The second issue is I always hit the buttons when I move the reader, change hands, or put it down. It then goes forward or backward a page or pages. Kind of frustrating. I might even sell it. I would just use my iPad Air 2 for reading, but the battery needs charging almost daily with the amount of reading I do and my eyes are getting old and sore so the eInk is preferred.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Since the Voyage page numbers are an issue, why do you want buttons? There are good Readers without buttons in a size larger than 6".
Old 02-27-2017, 07:08 PM   #11
Colbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since the Voyage page numbers are an issue, why do you want buttons? There are good Readers without buttons in a size larger than 6".
Well, its these buttons that bother me. If they were actual buttons, not this pressure sensor, it would be less a problem. Funny though, after I posted my last message I went into my settings on the Voyage and toyed with the pressure settings and turned it down. Perhaps now it won't easily jump pages by a mere bump.

Last edited by Colbane; 02-27-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:33 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I thought it would be turning up the pressure needed to push the buttons that would help prevent page turns with an accidental press.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #13
Colbane

It seems to have worked. The buttons are no longer jumping pages by a simple bump now. Perhaps I'll just stick with this ereader. Although, I still wouldn't mind having an 8 inch reader. Thanks for all the help, JS Wolf.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:04 PM   #14
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Quote:

I own one. Bought it from Amazon US. They had it for some reason.

I like it. I like the buttons because I read while eating. Easier to clean buttons than screen. You can use your fingers to flip pages also.

The lighting is quite good and the whole front is flat. No gaps anywhere.

I also like because NO Google. The media store that it has does have most of the readers covered here. Mantano, Cool Reader, Moon Reader. I'm using FB Reader.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:06 PM   #15
ben.sawyer
Mister Wrong
ben.sawyer began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle oasis, but it is expensive. Sony prs 300 is awesome but it is only 5"
ben.sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buttons, eink, ereaeder, inkbook, reader