Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-19-2015, 11:18 PM   #1
FerociousNOOK
FerociousNOOK began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST Glowlight
Question Any rumors on a new NOOK E Ink?

Any rumor's on a new NOOK Glowlight 2 or 3? The NGL (white) has been out since Oct 30, 2013 and seem like's it's going for the two year mark. Noticed Amazon's "New Kindle Paperwhite 3 (300 ppi)" will be available June 30, 2015. Like to see a new NOOK with 300ppi, MicroSD card slot and buttons.

Thx
FerociousNOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #2
FerociousNOOK

Contacted BN Support via chat today. They have no idea about a new NOOK or release date.

Also saw this article from January 2015.
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...n-nook-in-2015
Advert
Old 06-20-2015, 10:26 PM   #3
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
LOL! That was a good laugh. Made my day. Will there ever be a new Nook? No.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:15 AM   #4
seltzered
Enthusiast
seltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud of

Device: none
It's worth remembering two things:

1) They had layoffs likely in their hardware division a year ago: http://www.geekwire.com/2014/layoffs...nook-division/

2) They partnered with samsung for their tablet / lcd reader back in august 2014.

Interpret that however you want, that's been enough to scare me to no longer own a nook or consider purchases on their bookstore.
seltzered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerociousNOOK View Post
Contacted BN Support via chat today. They have no idea about a new NOOK or release date.
Support/customer service are likely the last to hear about (or at least be able to publically acknowledge) any new hardware, so I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what they have to say. But I agree with the other posters -- the odds of a new e-ink reader from B+N are vanishingly small.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I think B&N cut their own throats with the latest Nook Glowlight. I have a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight and I love it.

The truth is, Barnes and Noble is an okay eBook seller, but they can't compete with Amazon. The Simple Touch distinguished itself by having great design (the curved back, soft touch feel, page turn buttons, even the little 'n' home button) and (most importantly) an SD card slot.

They gave me a great device that made it easy to sideload books from Gutenberg, Baen, Smashwords or wherever that also had access to a very good store. Not as good as Amazon, but no slouch either.

When the new Nook was announced, I was hoping for a Simple Touch with a higher resolution screen and an improved Glowlight. Instead, they dumped everything that made Simple Touch a winner (okay, I still like the 'n' button). The Nook Glowlight is a Kindle-clone that is a white slab with very little room to sideload books (512 MB). Well, at that point, why buy a Nook that is a wannabe Kindle when I can buy the real deal and have access to a better store (better organized, bigger selection, lower prices)?

I doubt there will be another e-ink Nook, and if there is, unless it's a return to the path the Simple Touch was taking, I won't care. My ST is still chugging along, but I've already decided that when it goes to the great bookshelf in the sky, I'll be buying a Kobo.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 06-22-2015 at 12:05 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:58 PM   #7
FerociousNOOK

Thumbs up

Thanks guys & gals for the mature and informative replies. Won't get my hopes up. Just picked a NGL from eBay but can see why many prefer the NSTGL better.

Last edited by FerociousNOOK; 06-23-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reading articles about the new B&N CEO, there was an offhanded mention of a new Nook e-ink reader. My hopes were raised temporarily.

But then B&N is closing their international e-book stores. They've dumped their Nook for PC, Nookstudy for PC and Nook Windows 8 apps. It's like they are intentionally shrinking the Nook market.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #9
Bokes
Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook HD
My guess- they release one last end all be all reader and concentrate on Ebooks for that reader and various tablets via the app. I don't think they see a big text book PC reader market. Apple really does the right IMO.

B&N devices are really good. The new reader will most likely be pretty darn good. Enough to read on and that's all that matters. For anything else get a tablet.
Bokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:06 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
B&N devices are not good at all, according to many people.

I don't think anyone claims that they had the most amazing software experience, certainly.

Things get better over time, as a general rule of thumb. In order to remain competitive, you have to... well, compete.
There will never be a be-all-and-end-all ereader, no matter who tries to make one.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:52 AM   #11
Bokes
Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

I don't think anyone claims that they had the most amazing software experience, certainly.

Things get better over time, as a general rule of thumb. In order to remain competitive, you have to... well, compete.
There will never be a be-all-and-end-all ereader, no matter who tries to make one.
"End all be all" in terms of Barnes and Noble devices. I can see them releasing one last reader and if you want it or need to replace it- it's there. It would be great if they offered a lifetime warranty. Make them cheap and keep them in circulation.

I do disagree about quality of the devices. The nook HD was fantastic when released. It still is and can be had for about $55 new in box.
The Glowlight- looks like a fisher price toy- but the screen is sharp and can go very bright. Throw it in a black case and good to go.
As far as software- for needs- I want to read the book. I do not need any bells and whistles. As long as it displays the words I'm happy.
Bokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #12
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:

nook HD is still my favorite tablet for watching video, beautiful screen, lightweight. nook ST is still my favorite e-ink device. They did hardware right until their last e-ink device and giving out control of their newest tablet, they were not great with software, and incomprehensible the way they failed with their online ebooks.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:59 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I've heard a lot of good things about their tablet. But I personally don't want to read on a tablet, no matter how good it might be. And I am by no means alone.
I have held the NST and Glowlight, and didn't like it one bit.

I still maintain that you cannot just release "one last device", and expect people to be satisfied with that. Maybe a handful of people.
Either way -- what would be so special about this "one last device" over the current "one last device"?
And what makes you think B&N would reverse their trend of making... unwise... moves?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:08 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
That statement is vague enough that I can't say it's flat wrong. But I do think the Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight remains one of the best designed e-ink devices I've seen. (By 'design' I'm talking about the industrial design.) I like the soft touch back, the ergonomic design, the balance and simplicity. It gets so many things right that three years in, it's still a pleasure to use.

No new reader tempted me until the Voyage, which is similar enough to the NST in design to probably make me happy. Having said that, I'm not exactly rushing out to buy one.

The first generation Nook was also seen as an improvement over the existing Kindle model at the time. I also liked it better than the Sony e-reader my mother-in-law owned.

It wasn't until the latest Nook Glowlight that I felt like B&N fell behind in the area of design. That model feels so much like a Kindle wanna-be that it's embarrassing.

Quote:
Depending on how you mean it. I really like the software on my Nook. I know my device is fairly easy to root, but I've never bothered, because I enjoy the O/S overall.

I'm not a demanding reader. I don't use series/shelves/collections. I've also not had a lot of experience with other e-ink readers. So I admit my views aren't much help there.

Now if you're talking about the store/shopping experience, you've got me.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 07-24-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:50 PM   #15
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
I've heard a lot of good things about their tablet. But I personally don't want to read on a tablet, no matter how good it might be. And I am by no means alone.
I have held the NST and Glowlight, and didn't like it one bit.

I still maintain that you cannot just release "one last device", and expect people to be satisfied with that. Maybe a handful of people.
Either way -- what would be so special about this "one last device" over the current "one last device"?
And what makes you think B&N would reverse their trend of making... unwise... moves?
It depends on how you read. I like to read with my ears as much as my eyes. Audiobooks, text-to-speech, and Overdrive all come in very handy on a tablet. If I sat outdoors reading much, or in bright light, definitely would prefer e-ink, but a tablet with a good screen allows me many more options.
Software and format options also give me plenty of choices, and I can quickly download books from Project Gutenberg and such.
I fully expect B&N to do something stupid every day of the week :-)
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eink, ereader, nook