Notices

Old 12-14-2006, 02:19 AM   #1
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
eInk longevity

This worry just dawned on me:

eInk relies on little capsules that rotate.
With every page turn, you can see capsules that don't change (they make the screen seem grayer than it really is)
If you wait a while, capsules shift about and erase the image (which is why the Reader shuts off after an hour... to hide its shame)

So my question is... does anyone know if/when the screen will stop working altogether? Should I be cherishing my new Reader with the understanding that it's all just downhill from here?

Actually, I just realized all I have to do is ask some Librie owners.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
This is a theory, just my ramblings...

The particles rotate in a liquid. As anyone know, liquids change properties with temperature, more visquous when it's cold and clearer when warmed. Maybe there is an optimal temperature usage. Since we are in winter...well...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I was reading on the beach yesterday. After about 30 minutes the page contrast suddenly faded by about 50%. The letters all became a very light grey and the bottom status bar had light streaks in it.

It was only about 85 degrees outside, but I guess the reader finally soaked up enough heat to be affected. The screen was back to normal after it was inside the house for a bit.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
The gray along with particles and if its glass would absorb heat. AKA IR radiation..

Saw this in the back of the manual...

Temp Range
5-35C [41 to 95F]

Wonder if it has some antifreeze in it?

A lot better than the cart drives from Iomega! Max was 85 degree!

Last edited by Nightwing; 12-14-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote