Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
Jakes
Jakes began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle 2 in Canada??

How can I get a Kindle 2 in Canada--I,m new to this.
Jakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hello, Jakes, and welcome to MobileRead.

Unfortunately, at this time, The Kindle is sold only within the US.

If you have a US based credit card and billing address, you can get one that way.

there are many alternatives tho, look around the forum, and ask ask ask!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Jakes and welcome to the Forum.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Jakes
Jakes began at the beginning.

Thank you
Jakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Basalt
Basalt began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700
The problem with Amazon's ebook readers in Canada is that you don't get access to the Amazon ebook store the way you would in the States. Access to the store is based on a cell phone plan that is payed for by Amazon but it uses Verizon as the service provider and Verizon doesn't exist in Canada.

As far as I know there are no plans to extend the service in the near future.
Basalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt View Post
The problem with Amazon's ebook readers in Canada is that you don't get access to the Amazon ebook store the way you would in the States. Access to the store is based on a cell phone plan that is payed for by Amazon but it uses Verizon as the service provider and Verizon doesn't exist in Canada.

right but I think sure it is sprint not verizon.
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt View Post

amazon uses Sprint, not verizon.

Access to the store is not limited to the wireless concept.

You can download to your computer, and then upload to your Kindle anywhere in the world.......IF you have a US based credit card AND billing address tied to your account.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
Basalt
Basalt began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700
I stand corrected on the provider. Unfortunately neither provider offers any service in Canada.

I do a lot of travelling and happen to have a U.S. credit card but the billing address is in Canada. It's not the easiest thing in the world to set up a card like that. I even have siblings in the states and wouldn't inflict myself on them that way.

There's really not much option for anybody outside of the states. Amazon.ca (the canadian version) is a pale imatation as well. They're just a very U.S. centric company. I'm not sure why they're so intent on limiting their market that way. That said, they seem to be doing well enough so more power to 'em.
Basalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
blackbeltmom
blackbeltmom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 (in Canada)
Smile I have a Kindle 2 in Canada

I added a US address to my Canadian credit card and had NO trouble ordering the Kindle2. The only issue is that the Shipping address must be in the US so in order to get the device you must have someone trustworthy to ship it to in the US. I am fortunate to live in a border town and had it shipped to a depot that provides a service for just this type of situation.

I have NO trouble ordering books with my Canadian credit card (with the US address added), although I do have to download them fro transfer by USB.

WARNING - My Windows VISTA computer seems to have something on it that definitely lets Amazon.com know that I am in Canada (you can tell if you are having this problem because as soon as you go to Amazon.com, there is an invitation on the main page to shop at Amazon.ca). To get around this, I simply used a pc that did not have a VISTA O/S.

Happy Reading! (from the Great White North)
blackbeltmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #10
blackbeltmom
blackbeltmom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 (in Canada)
Smile I have a Kindle 2 in Canada

I added a US address to my Canadian credit card and had NO trouble ordering the Kindle2. The only issue is that the Shipping address must be in the US so in order to get the device you must have someone trustworthy to ship it to in the US. I am fortunate to live in a border town and had it shipped to a depot that provides a service for just this type of situation.

I have NO trouble ordering books with my Canadian credit card (with the US address added), although I do have to download them for transfer by USB.

WARNING - My Windows VISTA computer seems to have something on it that definitely lets Amazon.com know that I am in Canada (you can tell if you are having this problem because as soon as you go to Amazon.com, there is an invitation on the main page to shop at Amazon.ca). To get around this, I simply used a pc that did not have a VISTA O/S.

Happy Reading! (from the Great White North)
blackbeltmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #11
Raedwulf
Raedwulf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
While doing a bit of research while we deciding on our choice of e-book, the Kindle was still a choice. Digging deeper into the offerings, I believeI found a reason for the 'embargo'. It is certainly a case where provider is available. Sprint provides a free service to Kindle owners in the US

Up here, we have a number of likely choices that could provide the service, but as we all know, Telus, Shaw, or who ever would need an amount of money from Amazon that would pay for all these subscribers to hook up wirelessly
There are work arounds, or so I've heard, to make it possible to use the ebook store. I wanted to avoid that
For this reason, we ended upwith the Sony vs Cybook... settling for the PRS600.

Last edited by Raedwulf; 10-22-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Raedwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #12
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	hi notes.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	37902 Jakes, and welcome to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote