Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
percy_blake
percy_blake began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Angry Sony elibrary Installation errors

I just purchased a sony prs 505 and I am trying to install sony e library onto my windows vista laptop. I have tried numerous times to install various ways by shutting down firewalls closing every program etc and I keep getting the same windows installer interupt error message. Frustration is reaching its peak and I am wondering if I just purchased a three hundred dollar paper weight. I contacted sony and they were no help so now I turn to all of you to answer two questions:

1. How can I install the sony e library

2. The manual makes it sound like the e library is the only way to put books onto the reader. Is there any other program that can do this. I have adobe digital reader but that does not seem to help me.

Thanks for your help
percy_blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I don't know how to help you install Sony's Library Software, but I can recommend a much better alternative, calibre. It will do most everything Sony's Library does, and much more. You can't use it to buy books from the Sony store though, but you get a better selection (and better prices) from Fictionwise and BooksOnBoard anyway. They sell LIT books, and the DRM from those can be removed in 20 seconds with ConvertLIT.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by percy_blake View Post
2. The manual makes it sound like the e library is the only way to put books onto the reader. Is there any other program that can do this. I have adobe digital reader but that does not seem to help me.
The Sony software is the only way to buy ebooks from the Sony store. You can put files on your reader using explorer.

That said... do you have any other PCs? What exactly is the error you are getting? Perhaps we could help. It is an error when running the installer. Are you running 32-Bit or 64-Bit Vista?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Sony's software is too stupid to tell you this but it does NOT install correctly in 64 bit Vista. I contacted to Sony because the error message doesn't say this. That's the message I got from the horse's (Sony's) mouth.

Since I bought a new Vista PC I swapped to using only Calibre for management and direct memory transfer for files. Aside from not buying from Sony's store (they can bite me), the other drawback is every time you change font size of a direct-transferred file (including the first time you open it) the reader takes a minute to repaginate the book. The Sony Library software does this much faster automatically during its transfers.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
Wheezie
Wheezie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I just purchased a sony prs 505 and I am trying to install sony e library onto my windows vista laptop. I have tried numerous times to install various ways by shutting down firewalls closing every program etc and I keep getting the same windows installer interupt error message. Frustration is reaching its peak and I am wondering if I just purchased a three hundred dollar paper weight. I contacted sony and they were no help so now I turn to all of you to answer two questions:

Thanks for your help
I recently bought a PRS-505 and I had a major problem with their software. I can INSTALL the software, but cant connect to their store because I have satellite internet. Long story short- as the others have said, you don't need the software. It's main purpose it to connect you to their meager bookstore.
Calibre is fabulous and the way to go.
Wheezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
gmarini
gmarini began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
How can I install the sony e library

Quote:

Thanks for your help
I had the same problem.To install the library you need to log in your computer AS ADMINISTRATOR.
gmarini is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elibrary, sony 505