Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-30-2016, 11:20 PM   #46
gmercator
Enthusiast
gmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: PW2, PW3, Fire 7, Fire HD8
Hey guys, I appreciate your site so much.... I have been following this forum topic with interest...

I am keeping my PW2 and PW3 on 5.6.5, in airplane mode, sideloading everything, and I have the "update.bin.tmp.partial" folder in all of the devices' root directories in the hope that they will not suffer from any unintended "upgrades"

I also read other Kindle-related forums... just thought I would reference the following...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...x21H30QNPB67V9

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...x3OZZKQFXH2WKH

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...TxZKX4UJUSNZNY

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...ce_the_update/

The reports are mainly anecdotal.... many of the serious battery-life issues seem to have affected PW2's after updating past 5.6.5.... battery life going from 1-2 or more WEEKS to 1 or 2 DAYS

The comments and "answers" are all over the map, so it is difficult to pin down any particular details that are consistent for investigative purposes

I also noticed that Amazon has a slightly different OS level for the PW3 alone as opposed to the Voyage or PW2 or Kindle Basic 7th Gen:

5.7.3.1 for PW3 vs 5.7.3 for the others mentioned above

My main intent was to emphasize that other users that don't post here or even know about Mobileread.com are suffering, and I don't see any widespread information that identifies the cause(s) or solution(s)

Hope this helps in some way
gmercator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:46 PM   #47
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
It would help if you (and others) would provide us some information.

If your still on 5.6.5 :A new 'Personal' document will appear on your Kindle, "CPU Report" -
You can view it directly on your Kindle -
You can get it out of /documents directory and attach it to a post here.
And in that post, give us a bit of context -
like if you are having short battery run-times or closer to normal battery run-times.
and a general idea of how much use you make of the device between re-charges.

The report will have all of the hardware and firmware details, you only have to give us the commentary on your experience and usage.

Note: Once both steps of the jail break have been done, you can update your Kindle without disturbing the jail break (it will self re-install).

Pass on the link to this post to anyone else that might be willing to help by providing us with information.

Some important notes on those threads you linked to:
  • Stay away from that 'factory reset' button!
  • The design of the indexer has changed, searching for 'garbage' no longer gives you the status of the indexing.

Last edited by knc1; 03-31-2016 at 12:31 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2016, 01:05 AM   #48
gmercator
Enthusiast
gmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner....

Subject #1

I have 2 PW3's and 2 PW2's.... all have been JB'd (using Branch Delay's wonderful solution, and the Hotfix has been done on all) and all are still on 5.6.5 with airplane mode on and "update.bin.tmp.partial" folder put in root directories... KUAL menu and MrPI menu extensions are installed on all, that covers the first 3 steps above....

Are the other remaining steps fairly easy? I use a Windows 7 laptop (no Linux terminal training) and I am not a hardware person so no Serial work for me.... if this only involves downloading, unzipping, moving files to proper directories, updating my kindle, etc., I can do that....

Are these things benign? Please no bricked device(s), if possible

I don't let the batteries run down.... if a battery gets down to 50%, I recharge it back to full, and sometimes with so much sideloading, trying Calibre options with a Kindle plugged into the laptop, lots of unintentional recharging happens... no discharged batteries for me (as strange behavior is known to happen without adequate juice left)

So will this be helpful? in light of fully or near-fully charged batteries?

The "reset button" issue will not be a problem.....

Subject #2

(I knew my luck would run out...)

I just received yet another USED PW2 from Amazon.... the previous ones were on 5.6.5 but this latest one has unfortunately been shipped out with 5.7.2.1... so no JB on that one... the unit was received unregistered and in sleep mode, and when it "woke up", the battery was completely discharged with an on-screen warning to recharge it before doing anything else.... that means that Amazon either updated the OS with an almost dead battery or the update to 5.7.2.1 and left in sleep mode killed the battery... I have just recharged the battery for several hours and I am leaving it in sleep mode overnight with no ebooks loaded to it and no registration just to see what happens....

Some remarks in the following non-scientific forum post

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...latest_update/

seem to state that updating to 5.7.3 has cured the "battery-drain problem", but those folks may or may not be reliable, though I am sure they mean well...

Any easy experiments I could run on the latest PW2 on 5.7.2.1 will be limited since it cannot be JB'd under the current non-serial methods... but I am open to doing battery-life trials with it since I expect it to kill the battery quickly between charges... but I will know more tomorrow after it has sat in sleep mode for 24 hours.... just to see if the meter has gone down noticeably

I appreciate your help and it would be great if a definitive fix for the battery-drain issue can be found so others can move forward.... it doesn't help with Amazon not being at all transparent about OS updates and no info on the exact issues that are changed or addressed

Let me know your thoughts (sorry to be so long-winded)

Thanks again
Old 04-01-2016, 03:42 AM   #49
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

#2 At least for now, is only good for a reference point (and reading e-books).

#1 The things I posted are only "un-zip" in visible root of USB storage archives (just let unzip create directories) - -
Same-same as any other KUAL menu extension.

The major thing at the moment for me is to see copies of "CPU Report" from different devices / firmware combinations.
It is "read only" (except for writing the 'personal' document).

The other buttons, which let you set some of the controls are all non-persistent changes.
I.E: Using the power button to re-boot the Kindle makes all changes go away.

= = = =

If you want to hold off for another 12 hours or so, I will have a v-1.3 of the report generator ready.
The copy in the public repo is at about v-1.2 + 3/4

Fixing the problem in the most recent firmware version is a solution by Amazon's standards.
But not for our members who want to remain on an earlier firmware.

= = = =

None of the above is an "April Fool's" joke.

Last edited by knc1; 04-01-2016 at 03:57 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:31 AM   #50
gmercator
Enthusiast

Thank you for the quick response....

On the "#2" unit, I am going to monitor it to see how long a charge lasts... don't know how wifi on/off affects that, and don't know how registered vs non-registered affects that...

Do we know if placing "update.bin.tmp.partial" in root protects 5.7.2.1 from OTA updates?

I will wait until over the weekend to try out the unzipped files on the other 5.6.5 Kindles...

2 PW3's (on 5.6.5) are exactly the same hardware issue: G090-G105
1 PW2 (on 5.6.5) is 4GB..... 9017-2201
1 PW2 (on 5.6.5) is 2GB..... B0D4-2204

all are USA purchased

Just let me know when & where the updated link(s) are

This may be fun (or not)....lol
Advert
Old 04-01-2016, 06:01 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercator View Post
Thank you for the quick response....

On the "#2" unit, I am going to monitor it to see how long a charge lasts... don't know how wifi on/off affects that, and don't know how registered vs non-registered affects that...
Having WiFi turned off will, roughly speaking, double the battery life. WiFi uses a lot of power! Being registered or not shouldn't affect anything, in terms of power consumption.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:44 AM   #52
gmercator
Enthusiast

Of course you are correct.... I am trying to optimize the learning opportunities with the latest Used PW2 that arrived with 5.7.2.1 on it.... it cannot be JB'd, but is exactly the OS release that has given some folks a severe battery drain in 24-48 hours

Plan so far: unregistered, airplane mode on, wait 24-48 hours to see if battery indicator drops even though the unit is "sleeping", no ebooks loaded

Then install "update.bin.tmp.partial" folder in root, turn on wifi and connect to Amazon, observe if magic folder blocks OTA update from 5.7.2.1

Then register the unit and turn off wifi

Recharge battery to full as needed, wait 24-48 hours (while hopefully still on 5.7.2.1), see if battery indicator drops quickly while registered with wifi off

Recharge battery to full as needed, turn on wifi, wait 24-48 hours (on 5.7.2.1 if possible), see if battery indicator drops quickly with wifi on while sleeping

Upgrade to 5.7.3... rinse and repeat most of the sequence

We also don't know if my PW2 being used here has any different hardware aspect(s) than the ones suffering from quick battery meter drops

Welcome any other easy ideas to try out.... this unit will probably be returned since it cannot be JB'd... there's no way to know in advance what kind of OS a Used (or even New) Kindle will have on it when received

I might just keep it, though... it has a perfect screen and has no "special offers"... and the value for the money was very good, and it is not blacklisted... the only drawback is it is only 2GB... but unless one wants to keep an entire library on just the Kindle, not really a big issue, as local computer storage of ebooks, embedding a favorite font in Calibre, and sideloading seems to work really well
Old 04-01-2016, 08:41 AM   #53
knc1
Going Viral

The update.bin.tmp.partial folder has been shown to keep 5.6.5 from updating.

At least one person is trying it on some flavor of 5.7.x
but no reports from anyone yet.
That 'blocker' folder name can only be tested by putting it on a Kindle and letting the Kindle expose itself to the network.

A good sounding plan, we might get some information out of that.

Currently, the first block of the report looks similar to:

System CPU Settings
Thursday 03/31/2016 18:29:59

Reporting Device
  • Model: B00F-26
  • Firmware: Kindle 5.3.7.3 (~~otaVersion~~)
  • Kernel: 2.6.31-rt11-lab126
  • Build: Mon Jul 20 11:13:48 PDT 2015
(Yes, that is a K5 touch - it was just the file I had on-hand at the moment I typed this.)
Hmm... The time zone indication is missing from that date/time - will see if I can fix that.

But I do have the "board build identification" easily available, it might be useful to add that to this first descriptor.

"Similar" because the report is written as an HTML page (which the Kindle reader can display) and is very hard to duplicate in this bulletin board code.

Note:
On the one you intend to manually update anyway -
You don't have to jump directly to 'current', you can download from Amazon other (earlier) versions.
see (this example is for a PW-2, but the procedure is the same for all models):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1301

HTML?
Well, once you set out to convert the /sys/device/system/cpu/*/*/* ...
sub-tree into a printed report by standing on your head and turning flips ...
also chewing gum and drinking at the same time is not that much of an added task.

Last edited by knc1; 04-01-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:08 AM   #54
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The update.bin.tmp.partial folder has been shown to keep 5.6.5 from updating.

At least one person is trying it on some flavor of 5.7.x
but no reports from anyone yet.
I've been using that folder trick ever since it first appeared on here years ago

PW3 currently on 5.7.2.1 and so far so good though I normally have wifi off and only connect a couple of times a month for 5-10 minutes at most. Since I was going to manually upgrade to 5.7.3.1, I don't mind not doing so just yet and leaving wifi on for a few days to see if it auto-updates or not.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #55
knc1
Going Viral

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:58 PM   #56
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercator View Post
- - - -
I will wait until over the weekend to try out the unzipped files on the other 5.6.5 Kindles...

2 PW3's (on 5.6.5) are exactly the same hardware issue: G090-G105
1 PW2 (on 5.6.5) is 4GB..... 9017-2201
1 PW2 (on 5.6.5) is 2GB..... B0D4-2204

all are USA purchased

Just let me know when & where the updated link(s) are

This may be fun (or not)....lol
Today's version is ready, see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=271929
Releases are attached to the top post.

If you haven't already done so, the report generator requires the lua-base-penlight.zip contents to run.
See:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=272221
Releases are attached to the top post.

Both are "installed" by un-zip'ing the contents into the visible USB storage root (just like any other KUAL extension).
Set your copy of un-zip to 'create directories' mode, since your installing a set of directories along with the files.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:47 PM   #57
gmercator
Enthusiast

I downloaded the "lua-base-penlight.tar.gz" zip file..

Used 7-Zip on Win7, unzipped to lua-base-penlight.tar in Kindle root

then unzipped that to "lua-base-penlight" folder (in Kindle root on visible USB)

that folder has a subfolder "esys" which itself has other subfolders in the tree

Is it correct to have the folder "lua-base-penlight" in root, or should the "esys" folder be the first visible folder in root from that extraction?

I downloaded "gov-set-1.3.zip", and 7-Zip'd it to a folder "gov-set-1.3" in Kindle root... is that all that is needed for this installation?

Trying to do this and learn at same time, and I am usually methodical

I won't try anything else until I know exactly how the folders should look in Kindle root... we all remember the fun with the JB folder vs the JB file that some encountered

I have 4 units that I can test that are on 5.6.5

Thanks
Old 04-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #58
knc1
Going Viral

Would pictures help?
As seen over the USB cable to your PC - -

The result of un-archiving the report archive:
Code:
top level of visible storage
├── extensions
│   └── gov-set
│       ├── bin
│       │   ├── cpuReport.lua
│       │   └── set-governor.sh
│       ├── config.xml
│       ├── esys.lua
│       └── menu.json
The result of un-archiving the lua-base-penlight KUAL-system archive:
Code:
top level of visible storage
|
esys
└── usr
    ├── lib
    │   ├── lua5.1
    │   │   ├── lfs.so
    │   │   └── lxp.so
    │   └── luajit
    └── share
        ├── doc
        │    ├── lua-expat
        │    │    ├── changelog.Debian.gz
        │    │    └── copyright
        │    ├── lua-filesystem
        │    │    ├── changelog.Debian.gz
        │    │    └── copyright
        │    └── lua-penlight
        │        ├── changelog.Debian.gz
        │        └── copyright
        ├── lua5.1
        │    ├── lxp
        │    │    └── lom.lua
        │    └── pl
        │        ├── app.lua
        │        ├── array2d.lua
        │        ├── class.lua
        │        ├── compat.lua
        │        ├── comprehension.lua
        │        ├── config.lua
        │        ├── data.lua
        │        ├── Date.lua
        │        ├── dir.lua
        │        ├── file.lua
        │        ├── func.lua
        │        ├── import_into.lua
        │        ├── init.lua
        │        ├── input.lua
        │        ├── lapp.lua
        │        ├── lexer.lua
        │        ├── List.lua
        │        ├── luabalanced.lua
        │        ├── Map.lua
        │        ├── MultiMap.lua
        │        ├── operator.lua
        │        ├── OrderedMap.lua
        │        ├── path.lua
        │        ├── permute.lua
        │        ├── pretty.lua
        │        ├── seq.lua
        │        ├── Set.lua
        │        ├── sip.lua
        │        ├── strict.lua
        │        ├── stringio.lua
        │        ├── stringx.lua
        │        ├── tablex.lua
        │        ├── template.lua
        │        ├── test.lua
        │        ├── text.lua
        │        ├── utils.lua
        │        └── xml.lua
        └── luajit

13 directories, 46 files
That is:
/documents
/esys
/extensions
are all at the topmost visible level.

The ascii-art above are just the things your adding, when you look at your Kindle you will also see the things which are already there (KUAL, MrPI, etc. etc.).

Last edited by knc1; 04-02-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #59
gmercator
Enthusiast

I was able to cut the "esys" subdirectory and paste it in the Kindle root... that looks good

However, the "gov-set-1.3" unzipped directory has a subdirectory "extensions".... there is already a directory called "extensions" that has "MRInstaller" and "helper" and KUAL.cfg in it... I cannot add another "extensions" directory in root without overwriting the other "extensions"....

Can the contents of the "gov-set-1.3" generated "extensions" directory simply be put inside the other "extensions" directory? I know this sounds very basic....

So, gov-set
│ ├── bin
│ │ ├── cpuReport.lua
│ │ └── set-governor.sh
│ ├── config.xml
│ ├── esys.lua
│ └── menu.json

would be placed inside the "extensions" folder?
Old 04-02-2016, 11:17 PM   #60
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS

Last edited by odamizu; 04-04-2016 at 09:20 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote