Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-16-2014, 06:13 AM   #1
sadhu44
sadhu44 began at the beginning.

Device: none
'page-break-before|after: always' doesnt work

This is the code, created in Sigil 0.7.4:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title></title>
<style type="text/css">
hr {page-break-after:always;}
</style>
</head>

<body>
<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet</p>
<hr />

<p>Donec quis accumsan nibh. Sed dignissim,</p>
</body>
</html>

The <hr> appears in the finished epub, but paragraph Donec Quis is on the same page. I'm using Calibre ebook reader and Firefox epub reader add-on to view the finished epub.

I have tried setting 'page-break-after: always' into class=, style=, div, and nothing works.

I'm trying to put chapter endnotes for each xhtml doc (chapter). I want a page break before the notes.

I know I can put the endnotes in a separate xhtml doc. But I don't want to. Too darn much hassle for an 800+ page academic work. ...href="ch19-notes.xhtml#n4" is harder to keep track of then simply "#N4"
sadhu44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:07 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadhu44 View Post
The <hr> appears in the finished epub, but paragraph Donec Quis is on the same page. I'm using Calibre ebook reader and Firefox epub reader add-on to view the finished epub.
Both Calibre ebook reader and the Firefox epub reader add-on behave more like internet browsers and are not ePub2-compliant.

You may want to use ADE for testing purposes, because most hardware epub readers use ADE-based firmware.

Your code works fine with ADE and Kindles (after conversion).
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
sadhu44
sadhu44 began at the beginning.

Device: none
yes tyvm doitsu.

I just loaded ADE -- a bit of a pain since I'm running linux ubuntu. --and discovered that it worked.

Know any compliant readers for Linux?

-sadhu
sadhu44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadhu44 View Post
Know any compliant readers for Linux?
No. AFAIK, the only option is running ADE under Wine. If you had problems getting the latest version to work, try ADE 1.7.2, which works out of the box with Wine and current Linux distros.

BTW, ADE isn't fully ePub2-compliant either. For more information see the Known bugs in ADE thread.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
There are also bugs in the individual readers mostly with heavier formatted epubs. If you have a predominance of readers of a given type in your audience, you might want to get the use of one to preview your work before presenting it and having it go over with a thud with a good chunk of your prospective audience.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Both Calibre ebook reader and the Firefox epub reader add-on behave more like internet browsers and are not ePub2-compliant.

You may want to use ADE for testing purposes, because most hardware epub readers use ADE-based firmware.

Your code works fine with ADE and Kindles (after conversion).
Doits: (OT, sorry, original poster):

Do you happen to know what version(s) of ADE are compatible with what versions of the iOS on Macs, by any chance? I have a ranting client with OSX 10.6.8, and before I lose my temper, do you know if he needs to dl 2.0? (or whatever 2.x is in use now, more or less?)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Doits: (OT, sorry, original poster):

Do you happen to know what version(s) of ADE are compatible with what versions of the iOS on Macs, by any chance? I have a ranting client with OSX 10.6.8, and before I lose my temper, do you know if he needs to dl 2.0? (or whatever 2.x is in use now, more or less?)

Hitch
According to Adobe: https://www.adobe.com/products/digit...ech-specs.html

Mac OS
  • Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor
  • Mac OS X v10.6 or later
  • 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
  • 75MB of available hard-disk space

This is for ADE 3.0 -- ADE 2.0 doesn't show the specs anywhere (even though you can still download it).

But I did find 2.0's tech specs in the Wayback Machine, and it's the same: https://web.archive.org/web/20130830...ech-specs.html

Since Adobe actually made ADE to work in OSX, I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. It's very different from trying to get something to work in an emulator.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:15 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Do you happen to know what version(s) of ADE are compatible with what versions of the iOS on Macs, by any chance?
I just did a quick test on an old OSX 10.5.8 32-bit machine and successfully installed ADE 1.7.2 and 2.0.1.
ADE 3.0 installed without error messages, but couldn't be started. Apparently, the good folks at Adobe forgot to implement an OSX version check in their ADE 3.0 installer.
Tell your client to look for the ADE 2.0.1 installer and, if that doesn't work, the 1.7.2 installer. (Both are still offered for download on the Adobe website.)

The client is also strongly recommended to take advantage of the free upgrade to the latest OSX version, which will not only allow him or her to install ADE 3.0 but also iBooks, which can also be used to test ePub2 books.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please use the forums correctly - this has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with Sigil. Moved to the ePub forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #10
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
Did you turn on/off the scroll button?

Calibre should show page breaks as far as I know. View attached and try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	234
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	124290  
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I just did a quick test on an old OSX 10.5.8 32-bit machine and successfully installed ADE 1.7.2 and 2.0.1.
ADE 3.0 installed without error messages, but couldn't be started. Apparently, the good folks at Adobe forgot to implement an OSX version check in their ADE 3.0 installer.
Tell your client to look for the ADE 2.0.1 installer and, if that doesn't work, the 1.7.2 installer. (Both are still offered for download on the Adobe website.)

The client is also strongly recommended to take advantage of the free upgrade to the latest OSX version, which will not only allow him or her to install ADE 3.0 but also iBooks, which can also be used to test ePub2 books.
Thanks, Doits, eschwartz:

But this guy can't even manage, well, anything. I have been yanking my hair out of my head for the last 4 days, and I won't regale everyone here with the horrors of every other stunt he's pulled. It's been serious grim here at the Casa de Booknook, with his High Drama. (And, lord, do I mean, HIGH DRAMA. Everything is a disaster, a crisis, it's too much for him, etc.) He wrote a long rambling email about how I should keep a table, asking every single client EXACTLY what computer, what OS they are on, and tracking what software works for that computer (for ePUB readers, you see), and I should have known that his OSX 10.6.8 wouldn't run 3.0--although as you guys see, by all rights, from my research, allegedly, it would.

Thanks much, Doits, for the testing, too. That sounds vaguely like what the client experienced. I will never understand why they think I'm somehow responsible for what Adobe does/doesn't do, or when a piece of completely third-party software doesn't do what it "should." I told him to install either Calibre or iBooks, but now he says--I kid thee not--he "[doesn't] have the strength for it."

Hitch
Old 06-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Perhaps as a paid service you can install necessary ebook-tools for your customers using Remote Desktop (or hire an Indian to do it).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:22 PM   #13
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Are you sure you haven't opened an annex to the state hospital by accident? Maybe you could paid by the state to keep these eccentrics off the street????
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #14
deeplyblue
deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.deeplyblue can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle, Nexus 10
Quote:
Thanks, Doits, eschwartz:

But this guy can't even manage, well, anything. I have been yanking my hair out of my head for the last 4 days, and I won't regale everyone here with the horrors of every other stunt he's pulled. It's been serious grim here at the Casa de Booknook, with his High Drama. (And, lord, do I mean, HIGH DRAMA. Everything is a disaster, a crisis, it's too much for him, etc.) He wrote a long rambling email about how I should keep a table, asking every single client EXACTLY what computer, what OS they are on, and tracking what software works for that computer (for ePUB readers, you see), and I should have known that his OSX 10.6.8 wouldn't run 3.0--although as you guys see, by all rights, from my research, allegedly, it would.

Thanks much, Doits, for the testing, too. That sounds vaguely like what the client experienced. I will never understand why they think I'm somehow responsible for what Adobe does/doesn't do, or when a piece of completely third-party software doesn't do what it "should." I told him to install either Calibre or iBooks, but now he says--I kid thee not--he "[doesn't] have the strength for it."

Hitch
Thank you for that account. I'm a PC person myself (I remember the days of DOS - even the bliss when they made the command line editable with DOS 5) and getting slowly into Android and the Kindle Fire.

But my brother is <linethrough>a smooth man</linethrough> an Apple Person and considers himself one The Elect. And one of the things which every Apple Person knows is that life would be much simpler for everyone if they had Apples too (his 18-month old son is quite proficient with his sister's iPad). Because Apples Just Work.

HA!

I won't try telling him about this - like any True Believer he will have an answer - but I shall know. Not just something that doesn't work as advertised, but something from Adobe that doesn't work properly.

It almost restores my faith in a Fair Universe. Not quite, since I can't make things work on my little collection of Non-Elect hardware / software despite real commitment.

To which I must now return.
deeplyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:32 AM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Are you sure you haven't opened an annex to the state hospital by accident? Maybe you could paid by the state to keep these eccentrics off the street????
mrmikel:

I know, it's like the full moon is parked right over our office, isn't it? As you guys know, I make a comment, in the normal course of things, about a specific incident or client in our work, what, every 6 months or so? Maybe 3 months, if it's a real doozy? As I usually try to keep our business as our business; I don't like to put it about on the street, and I never like to post anything that might potentially, EVER, embarrass a client; bad business, that. But I know, I've done nothing BUT talk about all the crazy that's been happening for the past week.

It's been so bad, this past month, that a crewmember here said he was going to quit yesterday; said he couldn't take dealing with it any longer. (He didn't, thank heavens; but still...). We do have that problem: burnout. People who have direct client interface tend to burnout after about 12-15 months. But this past month has just been...it's as though we hung a sign outside the door saying "all loonies with crazy books, apply here." {sigh}. I'm hoping that the rest of June settles down somewhat, get some nice normal non-fiction books in here, to keep everyone's heads down, in the code, with reasonable lead times. Give folks time to recover themselves before the next Libro-terrorist walks through the door. :-)

I'm happy to say, though (braggin' rights here!), we DID get that workout book I told you guys about, with 957 images, DONE. (Who's your daddy?) MWAHAHAHAHA.

Hitch