Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #31
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Once I know that a character is going somewhere, then I will generally take time-out to read from a variety of sources before proceeding much further
If you were doing nano, the pressure to get words written would make this a very clumsy, time-wasting method. For nano, it's best to get all the research done before November. Also, generally speaking, if you wrote on regardless, just leaving a note to yourself to research an element which you later found to be very unlikely to be the case (as in the literacy of my farm labourer's daughter), the entire plot which you'd continued to write in spite of lack of knowledge would crash. Of course this wouldn't apply to sci fi, but even then you need to put in some world creation work pre-writing.

I just don't understand the "just start writing" notion and couldn't do it myself.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #32
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I just don't understand the "just start writing" notion and couldn't do it myself.
You do not have to. It is not your way, and there is nothing wrong with that. It is only when people arrogantly say their way is the only way that there is a problem.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #33
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
You do not have to. It is not your way, and there is nothing wrong with that. It is only when people arrogantly say their way is the only way that there is a problem.
You are right.
Live and let live.
Write and let write.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #34
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Unfortunately King has a habit of writing himself into a corner. He'll build up the story tension to a very high level and then completely fail to deliver on it with a satisfying ending. I mean really, they cornered the evil-giant-spider-alien-demi-god-clown-thing and punched it to death?

I'm not privy to his thought processes, so I'm not saying this is a direct result of his seat-of-his-pants writing method, but I'm not the only person who has noticed that pattern in his books.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #35
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

Gotta Agree with that!

I keep running into that in a completely different area (art) with certain people.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #36
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
While I agree that it's up to each writer to discover their method and the majority in this thread are pantsers, I prefer to outline using Word's Outline view. This gives me a skeleton of the elements of the plot, which can be easily changed, or new ideas incorporated, along the way. I can only "pants" flash fiction, even with that, I find myself running out of inspiration after about 500 words. I need direction from a pre-worked out plot and characters.

If you don't outline, how do you cope with things like research? ...
I'm probably a bit strange on research. I start writing a draft, and if there's something I don't know (the name of something, for instance) I write "TK" in the manuscript and keep writing. I got this idea from Cory Doctorow. Later, after finishing the chapter, I can go back and look those things up. In Word, it's easy to search for "TK" and not get a bunch of false positives.

I've expanded this idea out to how I handle research as well. Since I don't outline, I don't always know what I'll need to research--I've got a good idea of where I'm headed, so I can do some research before writing, but mostly I make a note to research things after I'm done with the first draft of a chapter.

Sure, this gives me fits sometimes--I think a series of events could take place, and I write them that way, and research means I have to rework things, but it's very rare that it effects the major plot points. It's almost always very minimal stuff. Usually, I know the major plot points well before I get there, and I've researched enough before hand to handle those.

TL;DR - I do a little research beforehand on major plot points before the first draft, a lot on details (like colors of substances, names for architectural features, etc) after writing the first draft, and then I write the next draft.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #37
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Unfortunately King has a habit of writing himself into a corner. He'll build up the story tension to a very high level and then completely fail to deliver on it with a satisfying ending. I mean really, they cornered the evil-giant-spider-alien-demi-god-clown-thing and punched it to death?

I'm not privy to his thought processes, so I'm not saying this is a direct result of his seat-of-his-pants writing method, but I'm not the only person who has noticed that pattern in his books.
My favorite scenes are those where the monster has broken down the steel reinforced concrete wall, ripped out the titanium steel bars and then the human is able to "fight" him.

Many modern writers can't keep the physics straight.

Last edited by frahse; 10-17-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #38
Alex Bleach
Enthusiast
Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC - PDF & Kindle Desktop
Quote:
I'm probably a bit strange on research. I start writing a draft, and if there's something I don't know (the name of something, for instance) I write "TK" in the manuscript and keep writing. I got this idea from Cory Doctorow. Later, after finishing the chapter, I can go back and look those things up. In Word, it's easy to search for "TK" and not get a bunch of false positives.
Good tip.

I don't do much research, the only thing I really check are dates and names. I write fiction mainly from experience or opinion, so not much research is really needed.
Alex Bleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #39
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's a video of Brandon Sanderson discussing outlining vs. seat of pantsing, or as he says, gardeners and architects. The whole series of 13 lectures seem well worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glPLT...ure=plpp_video
Old 10-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #40
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Here's a video of Brandon Sanderson discussing outlining vs. seat of pantsing, or as he says, gardeners and architects. The whole series of 13 lectures seem well worth watching.

I prefer his term "discovery writers " much better then the pejorative "pantsers" I am here by adopting it.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #41
carld
Wizard

Quote:
I prefer his term "discovery writers " much better then the pejorative "pantsers" I am here by adopting it.
I didn't mean it as a pejorative, honest.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #42
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Yes, that is a more appealing phrase. The other term I've heard is "stream of consciousness" writing - which, I guess, covers one aspect of it (one thing that sometimes happens while you're writing), but gives the impression that the end result is some sort of brain-dump, as if the writer is going to publish the first thing that comes out, which is just silly.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #43
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Yes, that is a more appealing phrase. The other term I've heard is "stream of consciousness" writing - which, I guess, covers one aspect of it (one thing that sometimes happens while you're writing), but gives the impression that the end result is some sort of brain-dump, as if the writer is going to publish the first thing that comes out, which is just silly.

"stream of consciousness" is something different, at least as I was taught in college. That is when you just start writing something, never go back, and do not worry much about perfect syntax, structure, etc. It is intended to mimic how people actually think. It can be very disjointed/etc because people tend to jump around mentally.

That is nothing like writing a novel by the Discovery Method as we are still working towards a structured story told with good syntax/etc.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #44
frahse
occasional author

There are many names used.

In my mind the one that comes to the fore is "sloppy writing."
Old 10-17-2012, 03:05 AM   #45
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:

Thanks for the link.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote