Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
petercrowell
Connoisseur
petercrowell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
completely stumped: .opf file not communicating its info, so no toc, ncx or cover

Hi,

I'm completely baffled. I'm not exactly proficient to begin with, but I've managed to get two kindle books published using copy/pasted code from various places.

But that same method, with those same files, is not working this time. I've built and rebuilt the .opf file three times, just switching out the relevant file names, and it simply isn't conveying it's requirements to the kindle.

So, the view cover button doesn't work, the TOC button doesn't work, the ncx button doesn't work, and it's not opening at the designated start point.

Any idea what I'm missing?

Thanks!

Last edited by petercrowell; 05-01-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Rephrasing question
petercrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:23 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Most likely the .opf file got corrupted; the <guide> section is probably gone or points to non-existing files. Have a look at the .opf file and add the missing guide items (cover, toc & text).
Also check the <manifest> section to make sure that the .ncx file is listed.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
petercrowell
Connoisseur
petercrowell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for your response, Doitsu.

I've completely rebuilt the .opf file. I literally took it from another book, which I know works fine, and switched out the names. Still no dice.

Got a suggestion for what to try next?

Thanks again!
petercrowell is offline   Reply With Quote