Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
Stodder
Connoisseur
Stodder began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle
Best way to test an ebook if you don't have a reader?

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any tips for testing an ebook if you don't have any reader devices? I'm particularly interested in testing a Mobi/Kindle e-book, but don't have a Kindle or iPad.

Any help would be cool!

:-)
Stodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Smartphone? Pc?
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Stodder
Connoisseur

I've done those, but I'm paranoid that there are differences in interpretation and display.

It looks perfect in Kindle Previewer and Mobipocket Reader, but those don't come with a guarantee of anything. No one I know owns an ereader (which is worrying, considering they're roughly my demographic o_O).
Old 05-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Ask someone here to put it on their kindle/ipad and take a picture?
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stodder View Post
...I'm particularly interested in testing a Mobi/Kindle e-book, but don't have a Kindle or iPad.
For Kindle compatible ebooks, other than PDF, you are in luck. Amazon distributes the only app that I'm aware of that is designed to preview the display on a ereader device. It is the Kindle Previewer. Its currently at v1.5 and available free from this page (scroll down to find it):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621

It can be set to replicate the standard 6" Kindle, the Kindle DX, the Kindle software for iPad, and the same for the iPhone. It displays images in color, if they are color, when replicating the iOS devices and in greyscale with set for the e-ink Kindle devices.

You might also download the Kindle for PC, or Kindle for Mac if you use MacOS, software to preview your book's appearance in those apps. Its good to make sure everything looks right in those apps also, but they don't replicate the device experience the way Kindle Previewer does.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
Stodder
Connoisseur

Isn't Kindle Previewer the same thing as Kindle for PC? I've already tested with KP, and was pleased with the outcome--although, as stated in their user guide, Kindle Previewer has known bugs.

Thanks for replying, guys :-)