Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Different buttons, inset or otherwise protected?
Yes, absolutely. 3 11.11%
Don't care much either way. 9 33.33%
No, they need to be easy to push, just be more careful. 15 55.56%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Different hardware buttons please? Perhaps more inset?

Overall, I'm rather satisfied with the Kobo (Wifi).
One thing that is constantly annoying me, though, is the way the buttons on the chassis are implemented.
Compared to my previous device, an Elonex EB600, they're far worse.

The Elonex buttons where inset, they didn't protrude the way the Kobo buttons do.
Of course, they were harder to press because of that, but it was - at least to me - far more comfortable, because it's next to impossible to accidently press them, which is something I value highly on handheld devices.

I don't entirely know how I manage to do this, but I often accidently press the "back" button, losing the book I'm reading.

Point in case: I read on the way to work - first in the train, then not reading while walking (carrying the eBook, not pocketing it), then reading in the elevator (it's very slow, lots of time).

Somehow I manage to press the "back" button while walking.

I realize I can't really change the buttons on my Kobo, but perhaps the next version could have different buttons?

Or am I the only one who has problems with them? Let's do a poll.

[edit]Was talking to a friend about this - he thinks the D-Pad should also be inset.
Personally, I don't mind the D-Pad, but then, why not?

Last edited by Cyberman tM; 05-06-2011 at 02:31 AM.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
omgfire
Enthusiast
omgfire began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Ipod Touch 4th Gen
I hit the side buttons every once in awhile but its usual just the menu button. I honestly can't recall ever using the back button though, I don't use the wifi store much so that might be why. The D-pad is great and I have no problems with it. It wouldn't bother me if the buttons were different but I think they're fine the way they are.

On a side note though, I think the back button is a little low and I hold my hand on it most of the time.
omgfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
mousy courage
mousy courage began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (non-wifi)
I have a skin on mine and I find that it's a lot harder to accidentally press the side buttons so that may help you (a skin may actually make it harder to press a button, in general, but for me I only really have trouble with the Power On button). But even before the skin I rarely accidentally hit a button I didn't want to.
mousy courage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
I can't say that I've ever hit it accidently. Like you mention, most people don't like inset buttons because they are harder to press when trying to do something. Like Apple likes to say, maybe you aren't holding it properly, despite the fact the way you hold it is perfectly natural for you
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
jayupark
Enthusiast
jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle 3G, Kobo wifi
I think you should be able to remap what the side buttons do.
jayupark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
There's no poll option for- "Never had a whit of trouble with mine, it's just great."
Maybe would like the center-D-pad shortcut to be something I could turn off in the options- I do sometimes hit that accidentally when turning pages... but that's rare and it's my own clumsiness, not the reader's fault. I suspect most people hit it once in a blue moon, but not enough to detract from the overall enjoyment of things.
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
I don't think I've ever pressed any of the side buttons by accident. I'd have to have a death grip on the device (and be holding it really oddly) to do so!
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #8
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinín View Post
Maybe would like the center-D-pad shortcut to be something I could turn off in the options- I do sometimes hit that accidentally when turning pages... but that's rare and it's my own clumsiness, not the reader's fault.
I suppose that could be discussed. I don't like the D-Pad, I quite often press the middle button instead of a direction, because they're not really separated. My thumb is too big for it.
On my old device they were easier to press - after you got used to them being very narrow and hard to press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Coccinelle View Post
I don't think I've ever pressed any of the side buttons by accident. I'd have to have a death grip on the device (and be holding it really oddly) to do so!
I think I "press" these buttons with the side of my jacket or something, because I tend to swing my arms when walking.

--

Apparently the majority so far either doesn't have a problem or likes the buttons as they are. So the problem is mostly with me.
Hm.
I guess it would help if I'd use the "sleep mode" more often. I'm not yet used to it, but it would solve that problem I suppose.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:43 AM   #9
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
The only significant "accidental" presses of the side buttons I've had to deal with came during my commute to/from work. Usually with sliding the kobo in and out of my coat pocket the back button would get pressed. However, I've put an end to those accidents by using sleep mode all the time now during my commute. Any other time I use the kobo (sitting or lying down) I rarely ever accidentally hit the side buttons.

All kinds of buttons can be pressed if you fall asleep with the kobo in your hand.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote