Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 05:14 AM   #1
mishcal
mishcal began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Book not copying to iPod

Hi I just recently downloaded calibre and I'm trying to transfer a novel to my iPod Touch. It's in pdf form and I have sent it to the device as well as following this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118559
Thing is the book hasn't appeared on my iPod. (I've got Stanza) and I can't seem to manually drag it from Books in iTunes onto my iPod
mishcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Calibre transfers to iBooks when using Send to device.

If you want to transfer to Stanza, see the 'using Stanza' section of the user manual.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
mishcal

is there any way to transfer without using wifi/the internet?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishcal View Post
is there any way to transfer without using wifi/the internet?
You can try using the File Sharing feature in iTunes. I'm not a Stanza user, but I'm guessing that would work.

G
Old 02-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Yes if you are running iOS 4.0 or later on the iPod Touch, but it is a bit convuluted.

- Export your book from calibre to a folder on your hard drive using Send to Disk in Calibre
- In iTunes, plug in your device and go to the Apps tab
- Scroll down to the File Sharing section, and then select Stanza from the apps listed
- Use the Add button, and then navigate to the book you exported from Calibre in the first step. Select it and it is added to iTunes
- Sync using iTunes
- Load up Stanza in the iPod touch. It should now add the book to the Stanza library.

It is possible that some of the above steps might have shorter ways of achieving the same thing, but I am not sure.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
mishcal

I think I already tried the file sharing method (add file to library?) but it just stayed in the Books section and I couldn't copy it onto my iPod
Unfortunately, my iPod Touch is version 3.1.3 and I don't think it can be updated (cause I've tried) and its a 1st gen iPod Touch...
Is there any way that I can pdfs without wifi???
Old 02-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
GRiker

Does Stanza even handle PDF? I use GoodReader for PDFs.

G
Old 02-04-2011, 07:01 AM   #8
GRiker

Quote:
I think I already tried the file sharing method (add file to library?) but it just stayed in the Books section and I couldn't copy it onto my iPod
Unfortunately, my iPod Touch is version 3.1.3 and I don't think it can be updated (cause I've tried) and its a 1st gen iPod Touch...
Have you tried opening the PDF in iBooks, which is where calibre sent it?

G
Old 02-04-2011, 07:11 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Does Stanza even handle PDF? I use GoodReader for PDFs.
It does in theory, but both iBooks and Goodreader do a much better job of it.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:15 AM   #10
mishcal

I can't use iBooks cause my iPod Touch can only be updated to 3.1.3 cause its a 1st gen. I don't think it can be upgraded anymore which sucks..

Can you transfer pdf files without using wifi?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:16 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
If you cannot update to iOS 4 then I do not know of any way to transfer books that is not WiFi based.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #12
mishcal

sorry I meant can you transfer files using Goodreader without wifi?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:25 AM   #13
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
sorry I meant can you transfer files using Goodreader without wifi?
Not if you are on iOS 3.x or earlier.

Apple prohibited apps from having any sort of file transfer via USB prior to iOS4. As a result all apps implemented WiFi based file transfer mechanisms for iOS 2/3. With iOS 4 (or 3.2 on the iPad) Apple introduced the concept of File Sharing for File Transfer across USB but even that is a little unwieldy.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #14
mishcal

Damn.. okay thanks anyway for your help

Tags
calibre, ipod touch, transfer