Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Cooling1978
Cooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle
Going back to the Touch

I will preface this by saying that I tend to be pretty OCD about my gadget screens. That being said, I just returned my fourth Paperwhite to Amazon. The first three Paperwhites had color blotches (the uneven lighting at the bottom didn't really bother me), and the last one had about 5 tiny pin marks of light shining through the screen. Last night as I was preparing to order yet another Paperwhite, I noticed that Amazon was selling certified refurbished 3G Kindle Touches for 129 bucks. So, I removed the PW from my shopping cart and ordered the Touch along with a lighted cover. I think I'll wait for the next generation of Paperwhites before I try again. Or maybe even the generation after next.

Last edited by Cooling1978; 01-24-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Cooling1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling1978 View Post
Paperwhite had about 5 tiny pin marks of light shining through the screen.
Are you talking about a tiny dot that looks like a dead pixel of an LCD screen? Mine has a tiny dot that looks like a dead pixel. It's about half the size of a period. It is bright white and brighter than its surrounding.

I know technically Paperwhite doesn't have an LCD screen but I don't know how else to describe it.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
I would guess it's a defect in the nanoimprinted light guide. The light guide directs and evenly distributes the light toward the e-ink display.

Last edited by JimmyR; 01-24-2013 at 08:24 PM.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
mobilis
drowned in old books
mobilis is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Cooling, that's useful to know. My sister has been pondering buying a newer-model Kindle, but has held back due to not wanting the newer screen type... It's useful to know that her trepidations were justified.

I don't know why they switched to this newer screen type. :S One of the big selling points of Kindle was the e-ink display, which is more like regular reading. (It won't burn your eeeeeeyes...)

Do you think they'll go back to the e-ink types, or are the new ones something we're stuck with?
mobilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's worth saying that the overwhelming majority of PW owners are very happy with the screen. The number of "problem cases" is small. I wouldn't personally have the slightest trepidation about buying another. My advice would be to buy one and see for yourself; you can easily return it if you don't like it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #6
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilis View Post
Cooling, that's useful to know. My sister has been pondering buying a newer-model Kindle, but has held back due to not wanting the newer screen type... It's useful to know that her trepidations were justified.

I don't know why they switched to this newer screen type. :S One of the big selling points of Kindle was the e-ink display, which is more like regular reading. (It won't burn your eeeeeeyes...)

Do you think they'll go back to the e-ink types, or are the new ones something we're stuck with?

The newer Kindles also use e-ink and its still very easy on the eyes. The difference is the light layer above the e-ink screen which I think works very well and doesn't cause any eye strain. To me, the PaperWhite is far and away the best e-reader ever. The light is super-convenient.

I know some people complain about uneven lighting (mine is just fine) and then go back to using a book light shining on the screen. That lighting is WAY more uneven so I'm not sure you are gaining anything by buying an older model Kindle. Just my opinion!

Plus, as Harry said, there are way more people happy with the PaperWhite than not. I would definitely give it a shot first and then send it back if you are unhappy. Kindle customer service is great.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Cooling1978
Cooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolate

Honestly, after four different models, I'm tired of constantly returning devices. I just want a reliable Kindle with no issues so I can read my freaking books. I find the lighted case on the Kindle Touch to be a much more ideal lighting solution than the integrated light on the Paperwhite (for ME - I totally understand that others feel differently and are perfectly happy with their Paperwhites.) While the lighting isn't perfectly even, it is free of annoying color blobs and is much more akin to natural book lighting than the indiglo-esque light on the Paperwhite that washes out the text. I find it less distracting. Another subtle thing I like about the Touch vs the Paperwhite is that the text seems to sit right on the top of the screen, while the text on the PW seems further back, most likely from the extra layer required for the lighting. I'm sure that I will opt for a Paperwhite in the future, but at the moment the quality control leaves a lot to be desired.

Plus, with the new firmware update, the Touch is much closer to the overall Paperwhite experience (minus the light, obviously.)

Anyway, my $.02.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's worth saying that the overwhelming majority of PW owners are very happy with the screen. The number of "problem cases" is small. I wouldn't personally have the slightest trepidation about buying another. My advice would be to buy one and see for yourself; you can easily return it if you don't like it.

Agreed. It's a small percentage. I'm very happy with my PW and would buy a second one in a heartbeat.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
What Blossom said. Other than the upgrade breaking my jailbreak, and my not being sure what to do to restore it, I'm delighted with my PW. There are no light hot spots or color blooms, just a nice, even white (other than the spotlight effect at the bottom, where there generally is no text anyway.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
Skwerly
Trying Hard!
Skwerly began at the beginning.

I love my Touch, and also have the lighted cover. No complaints whatsoever.
Skwerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It is hard to go wrong with the Touch, especially with the recent software update. Lots more storage, audio, a Home button, and consistent text rendering.

I like my Paperwhite, but I have to manage the storage more carefully and miss TTS sometimes. The lighted screen is not a clear 'win' as I think there's some loss of contrast and I don't like fiddling with the light all the time. It does seem more scratch resistant, to the point where I haven't seen a need to get a cover yet. That makes it lighter and more pleasant to hold for the most part.

I carry both with me most of the time. I can't fit all my ToBeRead on the PW, and for some reason, I like to switch off (cannot have too many Kindles).

And $129 for 3G model is considerably cheaper.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Agreed. It's a small percentage. I'm very happy with my PW and would buy a second one in a heartbeat.
both Harry & Blossom.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
My first Paperwhite had slight discoloration on the screen. It was so slight I could probably have ignored it, but I'm very picky about my devices. The next one I received was perfect. I was lucky that I didn't have to go through device after device to get a good one. I really hope that the next generation they release fixes the problems that they sometimes have with the screen.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #14
Cooling1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
both Harry & Blossom.
Yes I'm extremely happy for both Harry and Blossom and glad to know that some people are receiving good Paperwhites. I was just describing my personal experience with this particular device, which has been pretty frustrating. Whether I'm part of the majority or the minority isn't the point. But I recognize that whenever anyone posts anything negative about any device, those who have had a good experience with said device will pipe up to say "But but but I love mine!"

Anyway, I received my Touch today and after downloading the latest firmware update I am extremely happy. It really is like the Paperwhite but without the lit screen.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #15
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
if you're happy with it, that's all that matters.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote