Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
islandcharlie
islandcharlie began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
ePub validation in epubcheck 1.1

I have saved a Word 2011 (Mac) document as HTML, then converted with calibre to ePub. Subsequent validation check with epubcheck 1.1, supposedly required for submission to Apple's iBookstore, results in a report of a huge number of errors. What is the likely source? Is it a Word formatting issue? a word to html issue? I'm baffled. Help, please.
islandcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It is because Word puts in all kinds of garbage when you save as HTML. Even filtered HTML is not nice. You'll have to open the ePub and have a go at removing the mess that is Word.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
islandcharlie

Thanks. But with over 400 error messages, that seems an almost insurmountable task. Is there another word processing program or environment in which this kind of thing might not occur? I can use Pages on the Mac which might be cleaner, I suppose. I'd welcome any ideas. Thanks again.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Try saving as RTF in Word and converting that.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandcharlie View Post
Thanks. But with over 400 error messages, that seems an almost insurmountable task. Is there another word processing program or environment in which this kind of thing might not occur? I can use Pages on the Mac which might be cleaner, I suppose. I'd welcome any ideas. Thanks again.
Did you save it as filtered HTML from Word? If not, try that and then convert. Then clean up the messy code you get. It can be done. I've done it before.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
With 400 messages, many are going to be the same type of error.
learn to fix globally

Use Sigil (and Flightcrew that is built in).

Common faults are failures to conform to the rules. eg id=##
in Codeview
REGEX Search: id="(\d+)"
replace: id="b_\1" <- any letters are good
once you validat one fix meets you eyeball chech, switch to
All HTML files and replace all.
Always keep a prior version backup for those moments.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

For me personally, I prefer using notepad++ and FlightCrew. I do need to update my copy of Sigil at some point. One major advantage of FlightCrew vs. ePubCheck is that FC's error messages are more human readable.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
try using libre office for doc to html conversion the html created by that is a lot cleaner than Microsoft office
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
try using libre office for doc to html conversion the html created by that is a lot cleaner than Microsoft office
Use with the Writer2EPUB plugin for a very good conversion
Old 05-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
islandcharlie

Thank you all. I tried moving my book to Pages first. It exported to ePub cleanly, but I lost all my links, fonts, and appearance factors. The OpenOffice worked but left all my errors in place from MS Word. Finally, working with Sigil, I was able to eliminate all the errors in about an hour of work. It seems that Word's HTML output includes many attributes not allowed in XHTML, which is used by ePub. Sigil with onboard Flightcrew made it easy to delete them, and the results are excellent. Thanks again.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
islandcharlie

Much later.
I have had good success using Sigil with its built-in FlightCew but with one problem. Writing in Word for Mac 2011, then saving as HTML then converting with Calibre, then testing and editing in Sigil/Flightcrew almost always works. But sometimes , in Sigil, when I go to validate with FlightCrew I get an error message saying "An exception occurred during validation: std::exception" I have been unable to get an answer from anyone as to what this means. Does anyone know?. The validation always stops at this point and will not continue.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #12
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
There's a Sigil forum over here. You might have better luck asking there.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
There's a Sigil forum over here. You might have better luck asking there.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Much later.
I have had good success using Sigil with its built-in FlightCew but with one problem. Writing in Word for Mac 2011, then saving as HTML then converting with Calibre, then testing and editing in Sigil/Flightcrew almost always works. But sometimes , in Sigil, when I go to validate with FlightCrew I get an error message saying "An exception occurred during validation: std::exception" I have been unable to get an answer from anyone as to what this means. Does anyone know?. The validation always stops at this point and will not continue.
Flightcrew is also available as a standalone.