Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-13-2018, 08:05 PM   #31
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
In line

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@PoP:

I wouldn't mind a full set of lowercase letters, when you have the chance .

Serious? I tried once and it didn't look good. I wanted to stay faithful to the 6 atoms in a 4x4 grid. Amazing that it could render legible upper case. Perhaps if I introduced the "box characters" as new atoms for the lower case

Would using the same A-Z glyphs for a-z satisfy you?

(Some glyphs might need "kerning" tweaks, at a quick glance, some digits, for instance: printing "1234" makes it somewhat obvious ^^).

Not sure I understand. Again, Isn't it keeping up with the blocky style?

EDIT: Also, the last four characters have the wrong codepoint .

Corrected result of a manual edit.

Found a minor bug in the conversion script while working on this, and this lays the groundwork for making BDF conversions even easier now . Everybody wins! .

EDIT²: Yuuup, BDF conversions are a definite go! .

Nice, I will use that format then.

BTW Want to downsize to -F MICRO? The minimum BDF font size I found was 6x4 pixels.

EDIT: And titty went as low as 5x3!

Last edited by PoP; 08-13-2018 at 08:53 PM.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:24 PM   #32
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
* Yeah, a scaled down version of the same glyphs would do just fine for the lowercase stuff .

* See the attached snapshot . I get the idea, but (some of) the digits are a bit all over the place (mostly 1, 2 & 3).

I'm considering the lack of padding a feature and not a bug ^^. Might be worth experimenting with a tiny bit of padding for the lowercase stuff, though? But I don't really have a strong opinion on that one .

* Yeah, there's a lot of really tiny BDF/PCF fonts (f.g., creep is 4xsomething, IIRC). Unfortunately, I can only use stuff with a *width* that matches the width of a C data type in bits (i.e., 8/16/32/64). If there's one column of difference one way or the other, than can usually be fudged w/ gbdfed, but even then, turns out that severely limits our possibilities .

(Plus, in our case, 8x8 is already mind-boggingly tiny on a >250dpi screen ;p)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	block.png
Views:	372
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	165563  

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-13-2018 at 10:36 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2018, 07:04 AM   #33
PoP
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

* The scaled down version of the A-Z glyphs could (for the lowercase stuff) consist in A-Z (still upper case) but rendered with the box drawing characters. That way, it somewhat preserves the the blocky style look while still distinguishing a-z. in your screenshot, I liked the thinner A-Z as a start for a-z, à la small caps.

* I think shifting the 1 one column right, and the 3 one column left would fix the scattered digits.

* In my opinion, for that font, the lack of padding helps the style.

* "data type in bits 8/16/32/64", Got it. (Plus, in your case, no need to go below 8x8 if only to create a special effect by scaling up with -S $PARAM)
Old 08-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #34
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

* Sounds perfectly fine to me, go crazy! .

* Yeah, something like that .

* Agreed! .

* Turns out I was a bit hasty in that first assessment ^^. The only actual hard rule is <= 64 .

EDIT: I whipped up a BDF version in this commit (via Unifont's hex2bdf script).
Might make it easier to work on, if you have access to gbdfed .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-14-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #35
PoP

You were right. I am going crazy, and nowhere. This could be long.

Thin glyphs where lines touch borders don't mix well with the blocky ones.

Might as well extract a-z from any other font if the thin lines won't reach borders. Then the style suffers.

Hollow triangles made with 1 pixel diagonals and straights instead of filled ones look ghostly.

Scaled down 4x4 filled triangles in a 8x8 grid reduces their weight OK but they obviously won't touch anymore where they should at junction points.

Box-drawing ...well, was meant for boxes.

In the mean time, my unsatisfying suggestions:

#1: reuse the A-Z glyphs for a-z always displaying text in capitals, BLOCK style obliged.

#2: if absolutely need to distinguish lower from capitals, invert A-Z pixels to display a-z.

...Sorry PoP is, so far, a failed font designer.
Advert
Old 08-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #36
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, I was thinking about #1 if all else fails, too... .
Old 08-14-2018, 07:23 PM   #37
NiLuJe
BLAM!

With those few aforementioned tweaks in .

EDIT: And with a tweaked question mark, so it looks less like a stretchy seven...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	block2.png
Views:	340
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	165594   Click image for larger version

Name:	block3.png
Views:	333
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	165595  

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-14-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:08 PM   #38
PoP

Relieved. You're the best!
Old 08-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #39
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.3.0 .

This one comes with a rather large bunch of changes .
I won't repeat myself, see the Kobo thread.

On the Kindle front, the builds are now unified, a Kindle build now handles every device properly .
Old 08-16-2018, 07:26 AM   #40
PoP

@NiLuJe Thanks again.

Name:	blam.gif
Views:	395
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	165642

Spoiler:
Code:
fbink -cmM -F block -S 1 BLAM
fbink -cmM -F block -S 2 BLAM
fbink -cmM -F block -S 3 BLAM
fbink -cmM -F block -S 4 BLAM
fbink -cmM -F block -S 4 BLAM!
Old 08-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #41
NiLuJe
BLAM!

And released v1.4.0, a bit early, because I'd stupidly broke the Kobo package in 1.3.0 ^^.

This one has some more text rendering performance improvements, as well as the ability to do pixel-perfect positioning of text, much like you could for images.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:25 PM   #42
PoP

BLOCK lower cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
You were right. I am going crazy, and nowhere.
Eureka.

I had an idea for the lower case characters. Reduce the atomic triangles from 8x8 down to 4x4 and center 16x16 glyphs in a 32x32 grid.

Voilà: ꜱᴍᴀʟʟᴄᴀᴘꜱ in a blocky shape identical to the upper case.

@NiLuJe Do you think this might work? Attached are the .# drawings of a to z, plus a correction to the middle leg of the M:

M+atoz.txt
Old 08-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #43
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@PoP: I'll try it out .

I'm not seeing any change to that M, though?

EDIT: Here's what it looks like in gbdfed (compared to the W, which doesn't look off either).

EDIT²: And here's how that looks.

(NOTE: I had to plug some holes ).

EDIT³: w was missing a slope .

EDIT⁴: o was missing a cap .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Block_M.png
Views:	348
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	165722   Click image for larger version

Name:	block_smallcaps.png
Views:	333
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	165723   Click image for larger version

Name:	block_smallcaps2.png
Views:	320
ID:	165724   Click image for larger version

Name:	block_smallcaps3.png
Views:	322
ID:	165725  

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-19-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:33 PM   #44
PoP

Inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@PoP: I'll try it out .

I'm not seeing any change to that M, though?...

OK then, perhaps problematic only in my internal draw files .

EDIT²: And here's how that looks.

Ahhh. Satisfaction.

EDIT³: w was missing a slope .

ACK.

EDIT⁴: o was missing a cap .

ACK.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #45
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@PoP: I may have noticed something wrong with the M earlier and promptly forgot about having tweaked it, but that really doesn't ring a bell (and I can't find anything in the repo's history either) .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-19-2018 at 07:53 PM.

Tags
eips, fbink