Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 05:16 AM   #1
watersidedesigns
watersidedesigns began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
A Little confused here

Hi All

I got my first eReader today - a nice red PRS-505 and boy am I pleased with it

I am using calibre to organise my library and upload books to my reader and in preperation I added several ebooks to my library all of which were in pdf format. These are text only books with no graphics bar the cover shot.

Now, I uploaded one to my reader - no problem there. I then proceeded to read it on the 505 and OMG how slow was it between pages - must have counted 4/5 seconds!

So, I remember some people saying about converting the format so using calibre I converted the pdf to epub and uploaded again. This was much better, pretty much instant page turns and the page numbering was better (i.e. in pdf on medium font I flicked through 3 pages before the reader said page 2).

My question is this:

1. In Calibre on the book I converted I only see one copy listed but when you click it, under formats at the bottom, it lists two: pdf, epub. How can I delete the pdf version?

2. When adding books to my Calibre library, can I auto convert them to ePub?

Thanks in advance for your help.
watersidedesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
For 1. select the book and 'Edit meta information' in the available formats section - top right select the format you do not want and click the waste bin on the right.

For 2. not sure if you can, but someone far wiser will advise.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
watersidedesigns

Thanks for the reply weedfreak - cool name BTW
Old 10-22-2009, 06:31 AM   #4
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
For no. 1, you can also just rightclick on the book in the list and select remove book.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:33 AM   #5
watersidedesigns

@Ea - Does that not remove both formats?
Old 10-22-2009, 06:41 AM   #6
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Ooops, sorry Yes, you're right
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:43 AM   #7
watersidedesigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Ooops, sorry Yes, you're right
It was a test right?
Old 10-22-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by watersidedesigns View Post
It was a test right?
she just wanted to make sure you were paying attention.

i am not sure for your second question however i know you convert in "batches" which might help you (select several books in your library and click "convert books", i think there are other ways to do it but i don't do it so i'm not sure). i do know that if you try to send a book to your sony which is not in a format the sony can read, calibre will prompt you and ask if you want to convert it. i am not sure whether you can parameter that to work for pdf as well, since technically pdf is a supported format.

i guess you have to wait for someone wiser than me too.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:52 AM   #9
watersidedesigns

thanks for the replies guys - always appreciated
Old 10-22-2009, 07:00 AM   #10
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
There is no option to convert on import. However, you have two options. The first is to use the bulk convert after import. You can use a search string such as "not format:epub" without the quotes to show all books that are not in the EPUB format. Select them all and click convert.

You're other option is to have it auto convert when sending to the device. Go to Preferences, Plugins, Device Interfaces, PRS-300/505, click customize. Disable what file formats you don't want sent to your reader, then move your preferred format to the top of the list. When you send any book to your 505 that is not in an enabled format it will auto convert to the first in that list.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:02 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
You're other option is to have it auto convert when sending to the device. Go to Preferences, Plugins, Device Interfaces, PRS-300/505, click customize. Disable what file formats you don't want sent to your reader, then move your preferred format to the top of the list. When you send any book to your 505 that is not in an enabled format it will auto convert to the first in that list.
thank you, user_none ! that is exactly the sort of solution i was wondering about as well. i am making a note of that myself.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote