Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-20-2009, 05:27 AM   #1
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Question PDF-Some look great without zoom, others do not?

I am just wondering why some of my PDF books look great on my PRS-700 and don't need the zoom feature while others are worthless to me? They are so small and using the zoom does not make for pleasant reading. Most of these are simple documents (nothing technical about them). Is there a difference in the way they are created? Is there any way to make them more readable?
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
I am just wondering why some of my PDF books look great on my PRS-700 and don't need the zoom feature while others are worthless to me? They are so small and using the zoom does not make for pleasant reading. Most of these are simple documents (nothing technical about them). Is there a difference in the way they are created? Is there any way to make them more readable?
Basically there are three reasons for this:
  • wrong format used within the PDF (mostly A4, which is much to big for a 6'' display)
  • big margins (borders)
  • small base font size used within the PDF
It's is possible to crop the margins with tools like soPDF (search the forum), which often makes PDFs much better readable even without using the zoom.
PDFs which were especially created with little displays in mind do usually look very well on the reader.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Also, some PDFs are created as images rather than text. If this is the case with your files, the reflow option for PDFs won't work.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote