Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
caponesan
caponesan began at the beginning.

Device: none
batch metadata editing possible from filenames?

Hi all,

I'm about to buy a reader (almost decided for the prs-505) and in the meantime I'm organizing my ebook's library. I want to put the appropiate info for each book in the metadata (pdf & lrf), but my collection is quite large and I can't seem to find a quick solution to do it. all I've found till now is one-by-one editing, so the task is endless.

anyone knows any quickest way to do it? I would like to grab the data from the name of the file (like 'bookname' - 'author', or whatever combination) to automatically save it in the appropiate field of the metadata - I've used that feature in mp3 tag renaming software, but I can't find it for ebooks. does that exist? any future plans (for developers, if around) to implement it?

thanks a lot

regards,

Caponesan
caponesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Standardize on a naming scheme ("Book Title - First Name Last Name" is the default for Calibre) and import your ebooks to Calibre with the "read metadata" option disabled. It should recognize the book title and author name. Then, just do a batch conversion within Calibre (LRF and ePub are supported output formats) to get ebooks with metadata embedded.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
caponesan
caponesan began at the beginning.

Device: none
thank you! that works! too bad the conversion is not as good as I expected (i.e. images turned upside down).. guess I'll have to edit the file...

thx again

Caponesan
caponesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
honico
Hiebook nerdo
honico began at the beginning.

Device: Hiebook
ebook title format

I'm curious, caponesan, what formating did you go with after your February post? Are you still using the Calibre tool? I'm looking at 17,800 titles to fix and clean up to order to add them to my regular collection. I swear this 'to-edit' pile is driving me nuts...it never seems to shrink!

I've also retained the Title - Author.ext format--though, only the last name of the author. But, I'd sure like a better system than I have now--which is taking all the books from...say Larry Niven directory, manually fix each title then batch-fix the horde .txt titles within that directory with my slimware proggy "Text Processor" to change out the European quotes...hyphens and such for the US-Windows equivalent.

Suggestions?
honico is offline   Reply With Quote