Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-22-2016, 05:34 AM   #1
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Editor does not seem to remember previous layout

Not a very big issue, but:

Recently, I resized the editor window from full size to something smaller, and then to full screen again.

From that moment on, on opening the editor the file browser pane and the file preview pane are very small, so I have to resize them every time to be usable.
The editor does not seem to remember my settings when I close the editor.
Yes, I did use the checkbox in preferences to restore the state of the previous edited book.

What can be the cause?
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:51 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You could have a corrupted preferences file, look for the file tweak_book_gui.json in the calirbe config directory. Try renaming it and see if your problems go away.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2016, 05:38 AM   #3
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That did the trick. I lost some settings though, but that can be fixed.

However, my "saved searches" are precious to me. I copied them over from the corrupted file, which seems to work, but it is a little bit of a "gray" area.

Is it an idea as an calibre enhancement perhaps to place them in some separate file?
Old 01-25-2016, 05:56 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
That did the trick. I lost some settings though, but that can be fixed.

However, my "saved searches" are precious to me. I copied them over from the corrupted file, which seems to work, but it is a little bit of a "gray" area.

Is it an idea as an calibre enhancement perhaps to place them in some separate file?
Why not separate the layout data from all the user supplied data. I can recall other instances of similar layout issues as this one. Happened to me once with the viewer, it got stuck on full screen.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:32 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Why not separate the layout data from all the user supplied data. I can recall other instances of similar layout issues as this one. Happened to me once with the viewer, it got stuck on full screen.

BR
Sure, this would be worth doing in principle, except that it is a huge job, because machine generated and user generated data are not differentiated in any way in the calibre code base.

What I would really like to figure out is the how and why of this happening. Unfortunately, I have never been able to reproduce. It is not at all clear to me why layout/geometry preferences should be the only preferences to get "stuck" in a particular config file. The config file is basicallya JSON dictionary, so corruption should prevent the entire dictionary from loading, not just cause a single setting to get stuck.
Advert
Old 01-25-2016, 06:52 AM   #6
DrChiper
Bookish

I spoke too soon.

When using "remove unused CSS rules", I now get an exception:

Code:
calibre, version 2.49.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ValueError</b>:Invalid namespace URI u'\u201dhttp://www.w3.org/1999/xlink\u201d'

calibre 2.49  isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Fantastic Fiction && Quality Check && BOL_NL && Goodreads && Find Duplicates && Kobo Utilities
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\boss.py", line 536, in polish
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\main.py", line 261, in tweak_polish
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\main.py", line 210, in polish_one
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\css.py", line 75, in remove_unused_css
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\container.py", line 529, in parsed
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\container.py", line 495, in parse
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\container.py", line 481, in parse_xhtml
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\parsing.py", line 671, in parse
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\parsing.py", line 615, in parse_html5
  File "site-packages\html5lib\html5parser.py", line 254, in parse
  File "site-packages\html5lib\html5parser.py", line 105, in _parse
  File "site-packages\html5lib\html5parser.py", line 217, in mainLoop
  File "site-packages\html5lib\html5parser.py", line 431, in processStartTag
  File "site-packages\html5lib\html5parser.py", line 1227, in startTagSvg
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\parsing.py", line 375, in insertElementNormal
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\parsing.py", line 352, in createElement
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\parsing.py", line 274, in makeelement_ns
  File "parser.pxi", line 971, in lxml.etree._BaseParser.makeelement (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:95621)
  File "apihelpers.pxi", line 133, in lxml.etree._makeElement (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:14869)
  File "apihelpers.pxi", line 120, in lxml.etree._makeElement (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:14739)
  File "apihelpers.pxi", line 232, in lxml.etree._initNodeNamespaces (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:15816)
  File "apihelpers.pxi", line 1600, in lxml.etree._uriValidOrRaise (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:28996)
ValueError: Invalid namespace URI u'\u201dhttp://www.w3.org/1999/xlink\u201d'
The same goes for "beautify all files":

Code:
calibre, version 2.49.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ValueError</b>:Invalid namespace URI u'\u201dhttp://www.w3.org/1999/xlink\u201d'

calibre 2.49  isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Fantastic Fiction && Quality Check && BOL_NL && Goodreads && Find Duplicates && Kobo Utilities
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\boss.py", line 755, in pretty_print
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\pretty.py", line 223, in pretty_all
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\container.py", line 529, in parsed
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\container.py", line 495, in parse
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\container.py", line 481, in parse_xhtml
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\parsing.py", line 671, in parse
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\parsing.py", line 615, in parse_html5
  File "site-packages\html5lib\html5parser.py", line 254, in parse
  File "site-packages\html5lib\html5parser.py", line 105, in _parse
  File "site-packages\html5lib\html5parser.py", line 217, in mainLoop
  File "site-packages\html5lib\html5parser.py", line 431, in processStartTag
  File "site-packages\html5lib\html5parser.py", line 1227, in startTagSvg
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\parsing.py", line 375, in insertElementNormal
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\parsing.py", line 352, in createElement
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\parsing.py", line 274, in makeelement_ns
  File "parser.pxi", line 971, in lxml.etree._BaseParser.makeelement (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:95621)
  File "apihelpers.pxi", line 133, in lxml.etree._makeElement (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:14869)
  File "apihelpers.pxi", line 120, in lxml.etree._makeElement (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:14739)
  File "apihelpers.pxi", line 232, in lxml.etree._initNodeNamespaces (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:15816)
  File "apihelpers.pxi", line 1600, in lxml.etree._uriValidOrRaise (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:28996)
ValueError: Invalid namespace URI u'\u201dhttp://www.w3.org/1999/xlink\u201d'
Old 01-25-2016, 06:58 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That just indicates you have replaced the quotes used for attribute values in html tags with curly quotes. Presumably a search and replace gone wrong. Run Check Book.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:58 AM   #8
DrChiper
Bookish

Seems to be just 1 ebook, which I roughly had edited before without problems.
Can still be an issue of just that ebook, I investigate further.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:02 AM   #9
DrChiper
Bookish

Yep Kovid, something went wrong in a S&R action.
Pfeeeuw, that's good news.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:24 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sure, this would be worth doing in principle, except that it is a huge job, because machine generated and user generated data are not differentiated in any way in the calibre code base.

What I would really like to figure out is the how and why of this happening. Unfortunately, I have never been able to reproduce. It is not at all clear to me why layout/geometry preferences should be the only preferences to get "stuck" in a particular config file. The config file is basicallya JSON dictionary, so corruption should prevent the entire dictionary from loading, not just cause a single setting to get stuck.
Maybe as a workaround/diagnostic - a 'feature' that :
  • asks which component - library manager, editor, or viewer
  • logs the layout/geometry values as they exist
  • removes, them from the json file
Assumes component will regenerate missing values in the json file and leave the rest as is - which I suspect they already do.

User would post log here, in a sticky thread - maybe a pattern will emerge, albeit over a long period.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-25-2016 at 07:26 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:55 PM   #11
Barook
Barook began at the beginning.

I had the same problem after tiling windows side-by-side - the file list and preview got smooshed to the outer edges, and resizing them didn't stick... it reoccurred every time I opened the editor.

Removing
Code:
  "image-editor-state": {
    "__class__": "bytearray", 
    "__value__": "AAAA/wAAAAD9A etc. AAAAAA=="
  },
from tweak_book_gui.json unstuck the dividers without whacking all of the other settings.
Barook is offline   Reply With Quote