Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
jetjock
jetjock began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRC600
Editing Metadata

I am a new member here so I apologize if this has been covered before.

I have title_series_sorting = 'strictly_alphabetic' and save_template_title_series_sorting = 'strictly_alphabetic'.

But when I "Edit Metadata Individually", in a list of already imported books, I can't get the "Title Sort" column to place "The" and "A" at the beginning. If I manually change it, it will stay that way, but if I just click the little move arrow at the right side of the "Title" box, Calibre insists on moving the articles to the end with a comma in the title.

How can I get Calibre to list the title of books in "Title sort" window the same way they are in the "Title" window?
jetjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You created your thread in the General Discussion Forum, which is for "General discussions about e-book reading not specific to a device, software or format."

Please take the time now to look over our site before posting.

Your thread has been moved to the calibre forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #3
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
This should probably have been posted in the Calibre Forum...

However, if I understand you correctly, you just need to turn off the setting that says but A/The at the end of the title. This can be found in

Preferences > ....[dang my screen froze. I have to remember where it is )

ETA: Nevermind me looking, I think this thread addresses what you are trying to do lol
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174295

Last edited by gabby98; 05-08-2014 at 01:18 PM.
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
ingmar
Connoisseur
ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
I, too, have not been able to turn this feature off completely. Actually, I have, but it feels dirty: there must be an easier way to tell Calibre to never mess with the title as entered. What worked for me is another tweak, modifying per_language_title_sort_articles to

... 'eng': ('\\s+',), ...

You can probably leave the other language options alone. Make sure to test thoroughly.

@gabby98: I'd love it if there were an easier way ...
ingmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just updated my first post, hope that's what you both need.
Advert
Old 05-09-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
jetjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
This should probably have been posted in the Calibre Forum...

However, if I understand you correctly, you just need to turn off the setting that says but A/The at the end of the title. This can be found in

Preferences > ....[dang my screen froze. I have to remember where it is )

ETA: Nevermind me looking, I think this thread addresses what you are trying to do lol
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174295
Thanks for that link, but none of the suggestions there were for fixing a problem with sorting titles. I still need a fix for getting Calipre to stop putting articles (The, A) at the end of the title. One would think that the tweak-- title_series_sorting = 'strictly_alphabetic' would do that, but it doesn't!
Old 05-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
gabby98
Wizard

I may not be clearly understanding atm (probably cause I kinda have a headache) maybe someone else better understand what you mean. I'll comeback to it when I kick the headache and try again if not already resolved with someone else
Old 05-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock View Post
Thanks for that link, but none of the suggestions there were for fixing a problem with sorting titles. I still need a fix for getting Calipre to stop putting articles (The, A) at the end of the title. One would think that the tweak-- title_series_sorting = 'strictly_alphabetic' would do that, but it doesn't!
It really does
for all future additions

For Existing Values

Select the books: tap 'E' (bulk metadata edit mode):Tick the box (near the bottom)'Update Title Sort': OK

spend some time looking this form over, there is a lot of things you can do using this. Too many to even try and document all the possibilities. And for those that can't be done on the 'Basic' tab, there is the Search and Replace tab. Caution:you can make a huge mess...fast. Do a Library backup, just in case
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #9
jetjock

Follow Up. Today, I reset the "Control title and series sorting in the library view" back to default and then changed it to 'strictly_alphabetic'. It is now working just as I wanted. Go Figure!!
Old 05-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
gabby98
Wizard

Great...one down, one to go.

How bout you ingmar?
Old 05-10-2014, 12:59 AM   #11
ingmar
Connoisseur
ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
I'm good. But then, I was before that
ingmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:32 AM   #12
gabby98
Wizard

Glad to hear it.