Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-08-2014, 02:48 AM   #1
devils_add
devils_add began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question pdf metadata export

Hi,
I just noticed, but when Calibre exports pdf files it disregards pdf conventions. For example in in author it will write "John Doe & Jane Doe" instead of John Doe; Jane Doe;
Also, it will duplicate entries from those that already exist in the pdf. This confuses me, because if Calibre can read those entries to import data, why does it need to create it's own copy of metadata entries in the file, adding extra weight to it.
In addition, why does it need to add custom field metadata to the file if custom filed is left blank.
devils_add is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:53 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not duplicate entries. It creates entries in the /Info dictionary and in the XMP metadata block, using the standard Dublin Core metadata namespace, because both are needed for different PDF reading apps.

As for author conventions, calibre uses it's own author conventions. There is no universal multi author convention for author metadata in PDF info keys. In XMP metadata multiple authors are represented using multiple an rdf sequence, which is the correct way to represent multiple entries in XMP.

I suggest you spend some time educating yourself about PDF metadata.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
devils_add
devils_add began at the beginning.

Sorry, I was talking about "Dublin Core Properties", where separate authors are separated by ';' and not by '&', and the reason I asked was that Calibre was writing into those properties using '&' separator.
devils_add is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not write multiple authors separated by & it writes them using an rdf:Sequence. That is with multiple <dc:author> elements.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:46 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suspect your you're both right. When it comes to metadata PDF's are like images, they have multiple metadata blocks, often containing similar data but not necessarily the same data (eg a jpeg can have at least three Comment 'properties' - all of them different)

I just converted an epub to PDF. First attachment is from exiftool (GUI), second is from Tracker XChange and the third is from Nitro Pro

Note the inconsistencies - I tend to set more credence by what exiftool 'says'

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exiftool.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	122772   Click image for larger version

Name:	XChange.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	122773   Click image for larger version