Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Missing covers and formats

I noticed yesterday that a few books had no covers in the book details pane.

I ran the library maintenance check and there are literally thousands of missing covers and formats.

I don't delete files manually or mess with the database. Just add/delete books using the GUI.

The book files themselves have covers, bit the cover.jpg files are missing.

I have had this happen in the past but with only a few books.

I have backups with the covers/formats still there so I could probably fix this by copying the backup to the current database and not copying duplicates, or just starting a new library and importing the current library. (which I will back up first of course)

Is there a better way? And why has this happened?

I am 100% sure I have not accessed the books in a non-standard way except for today when I checked a few to see if cover.jpg was indeed missing in a year or longer, probably several years.

Any insight appreciated.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can tell calibre to re-read covers from the book files in bulk via the bulk metadata dialog. Simply select all the books with no cover and click edit metadata and use the option to read cover from the files.

As for how they went missing in the first place, you'd need somebody with the ability to bend space and time to their will to tell you that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2014, 12:32 AM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for that
Will try as soon as backup finished.

It is all peculiar but not the end of the world.

Helen
Old 05-08-2014, 11:29 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard

Just a update for anyone who encounters similar. All of my files were there just somehow renamed cover - Copy.jpg filename - Copy.epub etc. Seems that a copy utility can do this sometimes.

I backed everything up and used a renaming utility after careful testing on a small subset and my database check and files check are 100% good now.

I will find the solution you suggested useful, as it does seem to happen with one or ten books on a regular basis, but several thousand covers to extract and epubs etc. to rename was just too tedious to contemplate.

Thanks again

Helen