Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you buy an updated (second generation) Aura HD?
yes 47 47.00%
no, but I would welcome a restyled design of the Aura HD which is (more) in line with the Aura 6" reader 3 3.00%
no, I own a Kobo Aura HD 28 28.00%
no, I own a Kobo Mini, Touch or Glo 6 6.00%
no, I own a different brand of ereader 2 2.00%
no, but I consider to buy the new Kindle Paperwhite 2 2.00%
no, but I consider to buy the new Kindle Paperwhite instead of the Aura 6" 3 3.00%
no, I want a Aura 6" with the new Carta screen technology 9 9.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #1
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Would you buy an updated (second generation) Aura HD?

Just out of curiosity.
Amazon just announced/released the second generation of the Kindle Paperwhite. Which uses the latest E Ink Carta screen technology while the Kobo HD uses the previous generation Pearl screens.
Carta screens promises:
  • 50% better contrast
  • supports the new Regal technology for page updates. Regal virtually eliminates the need for a full page refresh giving the reader smoother page transitions for more focused reading (*).
(*) Note: The Aura 6" seems to use a hybrid screen (or different screen controller). It uses a Pearl screen with Regal support. (Kobo website: "with low-flash waveform"). The Aura HD don't.

So would you consider buying a (second generation) Kobo Aura HD with E Ink Carta screen technology?

Note/Erratum to the poll
I've noticed that I the second choice in the poll isn't as clear as I had intended.
Quote:
no, but I would welcome a restyled design of the Aura HD which is (more) in line with the Aura 6" reader
What meant was:
Quote:
yes, the existing Aura HD but with a restyled design which is (more) in line with the design of the Aura 6" reader. The technical specifications of the Aura HD don't need to be upgraded.
Technical differences between Carta and Pearl screens
For your information (source: Technical Spec Sheets).
  • Imaging Component (Pearl): E Ink Pearl ePaper Display Film
  • Imaging Component (Carta): E Ink Carta ePaper Display Film
  • Contrast Ratio (Pearl): 10:1 (min)
  • Contrast Ratio (Carta): 15:1 (min)
  • White State (L*) (Pearl): 70 (min)
  • White State (L*) (Carta): 74 (min)
  • Dark State (L*) (Pearl): 24 (max)
  • Dark State (L*) (Pearl): 19 (max)
  • % Reflectance (Pearl): 40.7%
  • % Reflectance (Carta): 44%
  • Image Update Time ((Pearl/Carta): 120 msec (1 bit)
  • Image Update Time (Pearl): 450 msec (4 bit)
  • Image Update Time (Carta): not stated (4 bit)
  • Display Resolution (Pearl): Capabilities up to 300 dpi for 4 bit Grayscale (sizes 9.7 in & below)
  • Display Resolution (Carta): Greater than 300 dpi

Last edited by Anak; 09-10-2013 at 05:05 AM. Reason: clarification
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I would consider an Aura HD that uses the new screen, is thinner, has sticky plastic, and I can buy locally.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
No, I'm totally satisfied with my Aura HD as it is, I wouldn't spend money for a second very similar e-reader when my first one is new and perfectly functional

I am curious about the Aura, though, but I'm not going to buy it.

I plan to use my current reader for as long as I can I'll consider buying a new one when this one dies
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
It would depend more on the other features than on the Perl/Carta screen. In particular I would prefer infra-red touch, so if the second generation Aura HD had capacitive touch that would be a negative.

If my Glo was stolen right now, I would probably replace it with an Aura HD, but I'd consider another Glo or a new Aura too. But I wouldn't buy another reader as long as my Glo still works, I think It'd be a better use of the money to buy more ebooks.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
No "maybe" option? I might, if it looked great, and if I hadn't already either bought an Aura 6 or received one as a gift.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I would buy one if I didn't already have an Aura. What I would like to see is an Aura HD with the new screen and flush bezel/reduced size bezel and back of the Kobo Aura. That would be awesome.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I'm quite interested to see what owners of the new Kindle Carta screen will think of it. The claim is for "whiter whites and blacker blacks", but don't we already have that on the current Kobo devices? You get a whiter white by switching on the front-light at a low-ish level, and a blacker black by increasing the font-weight. More page turns without ghosting sounds good but it seems the new Aura 6" will have that anyway.

Last edited by jackie_w; 09-09-2013 at 07:24 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #8
meson1
meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Espresso Kobo Aura HD
I've only just bought an Aura HD. It's fine and I'm not about to go buy an updated one so soon.

But Kobo do need to make more of an effort with their next Aura HD because its their halo model. They should:
  • upgrade to a 6.8 inch version of the E-ink Carta display (if such a beast exists)
  • add a capacitive touch screen with gorilla glass
  • use a grippy soft touch material for the enclosure. In fact, go back to the quilted effect of previous models; that looked cool.
  • Restyle the power and reading light buttons for ergonomics and for visual appeal. Ditch the red plastic and use lovely metal buttons instead; this is the halo model after all, so little touches like this make a difference. And 'texture' the buttons so you can find and identify them by feel.
  • And please for the love of god do NOT replace the micro SD card with cloud storage as seems to be the current trend.

Last edited by meson1; 09-09-2013 at 12:45 PM.
meson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I'm happy with the Aura HD as is.

If the new Aura is really interesting, I could be selling one for the other (lower price), but I won't be replacing the HD by a HD 2 (same or higher price). I'm not sure if that makes sense, but in my mind it does
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I am going to take a good look at the Aura when it is on store shelves here. I can't imagine going back to a 6 inch reader, but if I like the new screen, I'd probably buy a new Aura HD with it as long as the HD part is still there.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm quite interested to see what owners of the new Kindle Carta screen will think of it. The claim is for "whiter whites and blacker blacks", but don't we already have that on the current Kobo devices? You get a whiter white by switching on the front-light at a low-ish level, and a blacker black by increasing the font-weight. More page turns without ghosting sounds good but it seems the new Aura 6" will have that anyway.
My sentiments exactly. I also feel that the Carta screen will only be an incremental improvement (although I haven't really taken the time to educate myself on its specs.)
llcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #12
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
The Aura HD was my first experience with an e-ink device and I love it for reading ... much better for me than a tablet interface. So having said that, I've ordered the new Aura and also the new Kindle. I tend to read more than one book at a time, so having a reader left in different rooms works well for me.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It will be interesting to see the Carta screens. Trying to get whiter whites by cranking up the internal lighting gives me washed out black.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #14
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
It will be interesting to see the Carta screens. Trying to get whiter whites by cranking up the internal lighting gives me washed out black.
But doesn't increasing the font-weight combat that quite effectively? I also keep the light < 35%.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But doesn't increasing the font-weight combat that quite effectively? I also keep the light < 35%.
Fiddling with the light and font weight I see varying results. YMMV.

Tags
aura, aura 6", aura hd, carta, poll