Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-10-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
crashed
Connoisseur
crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch
Does Nook HD+ have GPS?

Hi.

I'm very tempted to grab a Nook HD+, but my main concern... the thing at least that would make this a super sweet deal is if there is GPS on the device, as this sort of helps make or break apps from the Google Play store.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Crashed.
crashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
No, there's no GPS on any Nook device.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2013, 01:13 AM   #3
crashed
Connoisseur
crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ahh ok that's what I thought. I might still pull the trigger on it for good comic, manga, and PDF reading.

Thanks AFV011
Old 05-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Rob2246
Enthusiast
Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle,nook ,ipad,kobo
crashed. I just got my nook hd+ this week and never tried google maps. just tried it and located me at work. even asked if I wanted to turn location services on.
Rob2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2246 View Post
crashed. I just got my nook hd+ this week and never tried google maps. just tried it and located me at work. even asked if I wanted to turn location services on.
It uses WiFi to determine where you are.
Advert
Old 05-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
crashed
Connoisseur

Yeah I figured that much. I wonder how this behaves with apps like yelp, ect. Any luck on using other location based apps?
Old 05-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashed View Post
Yeah I figured that much. I wonder how this behaves with apps like yelp, ect. Any luck on using other location based apps?
Any app that you can install can use the WiFi location service to know where you are. This obviously assumes that Google knows about the WiFi access point you're connected to or any other one you can see.

Apps that require GPS will not install (will not show on the market, they are filtered out).
Old 05-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Non-GPS location based apps use the geolocation data associated with the public IP address assigned by the currently in-use Internet access service provider. The accuracy of this method varies with the types of access networks being used -- generally quite good with Cable/DSL access and can be quite bad with Mobile Hotspot tethering access. To see the location these apps think you are currently at, try a free IP geolocation finder service such as http://www.iplocation.net/.

Last edited by livramax; 05-10-2013 at 08:42 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Has anyone tried and been successful using an external GPS via bluetooth or USB with the HD+?
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
Has anyone tried and been successful using an external GPS via bluetooth or USB with the HD+?
Good question.
Does Android support external GPS dongles. I used them for years with MS and mapping software.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
Non-GPS location based apps use the geolocation data associated with the public IP address assigned by the currently in-use Internet access service provider. The accuracy of this method varies with the types of access networks being used -- generally quite good with Cable/DSL access and can be quite bad with Mobile Hotspot tethering access. To see the location these apps think you are currently at, try a free IP geolocation finder service such as http://www.iplocation.net/.
Google Map on wifi are usually quite good. But, one time I was in New Orleans, the Google Map think I was in Chicago. Just tried a social chat, I was in 40 miles north of New Orleans, but I was connected to Florida chat room. Funny.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
el34han
el34han began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Nook HD+ $149 now

B&N father's day special this week only. Nook HD+ $149 in store or online.
It works great after putting CM10.1 on.
el34han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by el34han View Post
B&N father's day special this week only. Nook HD+ $149 in store or online.
It works great after putting CM10.1 on.
I've got one coming in and I'm thinking of doing that with it.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #14
blynott
blynott began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I've got one coming in and I'm thinking of doing that with it.
Same Here!
blynott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:20 AM   #15
ehayes2006
ehayes2006 can extract oil from cheeseehayes2006 can extract oil from cheeseehayes2006 can extract oil from cheeseehayes2006 can extract oil from cheeseehayes2006 can extract oil from cheeseehayes2006 can extract oil from cheeseehayes2006 can extract oil from cheeseehayes2006 can extract oil from cheeseehayes2006 can extract oil from cheese

Device: NOOK HD+ (2013)
GPS with Nook HD+

"I'm very tempted to grab a Nook HD+, but my main concern... the thing at least that would make this a super sweet deal is if there is GPS on the device, as this sort of helps make or break apps from the Google Play store.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Crashed."

I can confirm that the nook series of tablets do not have gps, however...
I have the nook hd+, and have confirmed that it can be used as a GPS device/navigator, with a few simple steps.

1) Go into "All settings->Device Information->Developer Options", and enable the "Allow mock locations" option (also make sure bluetooth is turned on).

2) You must get an external bluetooth gps receiver. I use the haicom HI-408BT.

3) Pair your bluetooth gps device with your nook hd+

4) Download and install the free app, "Bluetooth GPS" from google play.

4) Go into the settings section of Bluetooth Gps app, scroll down to the bottom, to the section "connection problems related", enable the "use insecure connection" option.

5) Close and restart the bluetooth gps app.

6) With the bluetooth gps app running in the background, open google maps. It will use the location data from the bluetooth device. It is helpful to store offline the area you are located so as to not require a constant wifi connection to the internet.

Lotsa Luck,
-e
ehayes2006 is offline   Reply With Quote