Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
It supports purchased Adobe-DRM ebooks. Just not sure if it also supports library books.
Yes, it does.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #32
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Nook HDs $129(US) for Father's Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
According to this TechCrunch blog http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/08/mic...for-1-billion/, "Nook Media plans to discontinue its Android-based tablet business by the end of its 2014 fiscal year as it transitions to a model where Nook content is distributed through apps on “third-party partner” devices".

Could the Mother's Day generous sale on their HD/HD+ line a prelude to this wind down?
If it was, they clearly still didn't empty the warehouse. Their just-announced "Father's Day" sale slashed prices even more drastically than the Mother's Day offer.

Entry level price point is now $129 for an 8GB Nook HD.
The HD+s are now $149 (16GB) and $179 (32GB)

Offer ends 06/16.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #33
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
To buy or not to buy - SOLVED

I started this thread by asking the question in the title line. When the Nooks went on sale I bought a 32 GB HD+ during the pre-Mother's Day sale and I love it. I installed CM10.1 on a 16GB SD card. I was so pleased with the result that I bought one for my wife during the pre-Father's Day sale. For a 9" tablet with a great display and a dual core processor you cannot beat the price ($149/$179) and, as long as ROM development continues, it doesn't matter if B&N shelves their Nooks.
fredlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #34
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
I too couldn't resist picking one up during the Father's Day sale. If the price ever goes down to $100 (maybe a Grandparents' Day sale ) I might get another one for spare.

For those of you who contemplate rooting the device or flashing custom ROM, be aware there are reports on XDA HD+ forums that some recently acquired HD+ units have difficulty booting off SD card.

Last edited by livramax; 06-18-2013 at 12:48 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #35
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
I too couldn't resist picking one up during the Father's Day sale. If the price ever goes down to $100 (maybe a Grandparents' Day sale ) I might get another one for spare.

For those of you who contemplate rooting the device or flashing custom ROM, be aware there are reports on XDA HD+ forums that some recently acquired HD+ units have difficulty booting off SD card.
I'd be interested to see these. I had trouble at first, but when I got a SanDisk class 4 card it worked the first time. I suspect it's a case of users not knowing / following card selection advice. Can you link to the reports?
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #36
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
I'd be interested to see these. I had trouble at first, but when I got a SanDisk class 4 card it worked the first time. I suspect it's a case of users not knowing / following card selection advice. Can you link to the reports?
Here goes: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2288688, and http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=19.

Last edited by livramax; 06-18-2013 at 06:19 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #37
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I installed CM10.1 on SD cards on both the HD+s I bought in the past few weeks using verygreen's straightforward instructions at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2087988 He also provides a link to the latest version of ClockworkMod (7.1) and instructions on how to use it.
Also,there is a FAQ about the basics of rooting at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2317500
If B&N is really getting out of the tablet hardware business it's important know how to root Nooks so system updates are available.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #38
fredlave
Connoisseur

My 32GB HD+ booted from a Sandisk 16GB Class 4 card with no problem and CM10.1 installed and updated easily. When I cloned this card and tried to boot my wife's 16GB HD+ with it it failed. Using CWM 7.1 on an 8GB Sandisk Class4 it booted with no problem and I was able to install CM10.1 with no difficulty. From what I could glean from XDA Forum postings persistence is the key and it may take several attempts and different cards.
BTW, our local B&N store considers rooting on an SD card as a violation of the warranty and will not exchange a Nook because it will not boot from the SD slot.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #39
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlave View Post
BTW, our local B&N store considers rooting on an SD card as a violation of the warranty and will not exchange a Nook because it will not boot from the SD slot.
That's kind of a given, but if you can find some other way to demonstrate that the SD slot is faulty, you might have better luck.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:04 AM   #40
Sukiyaki
Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sukiyaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T-2, Nook HD+
Qvc has the nook hd+ for 169.95 in 5 easy pays. Today only as it is today's special value.
I picked one up as I want a large color screen for some cookbooks and pdf's. I plan on keeping my sony prst2 for daily reading. Also has extra charger and app pack. There will be a full presentation later today.

http://www.qvc.com/webapp/wcs/stores...atalogId=10151

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Sukiyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #41
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
At least one of those people was using the wrong card - in a followup post s/he mentions that s/he switched to a Sandisk card and then everything worked. The other thread does make it sound like there are some faulty SD adapters in the new HD+ though. Hm. Glad I picked up the smaller HD during the sale then. I'll try root and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, back to the shop with it.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #42
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
Qvc has the nook hd+ for 169.95 in 5 easy pays. Today only as it is today's special value.
I picked one up as I want a large color screen for some cookbooks and pdf's. I plan on keeping my sony prst2 for daily reading. Also has extra charger and app pack. There will be a full presentation later today.

http://www.qvc.com/webapp/wcs/stores...atalogId=10151

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
That's interesting that they're having it on the Special Value again. They just did that with the Nook HD at the beginning of May.

The price of $169.00 for the 32GB is actually cheaper than the sale price in store of $179. Not to mention the easy pay option of $33.99. Hell, if I didn't already own it, I'd buy it again.

They just announced that they've sold 20,000 so far.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #43
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
That's interesting that they're having it on the Special Value again. They just did that with the Nook HD at the beginning of May.

The price of $169.00 for the 32GB is actually cheaper than the sale price in store of $179. Not to mention the easy pay option of $33.99. Hell, if I didn't already own it, I'd buy it again.

They just announced that they've sold 20,000 so far.
Well when you add in the $10 for shipping, it comes out the same as the store price.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #44
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Yes, but they are giving you two chargers (figure $25-29 for that extra charger), a bunch of magazines and apps (I got the HD during the earlier sale and they had a great bunch of apps for young children included with it - that I probably would have bought on my own), The main attraction is the easy pay option, though - for those of us on a budget who can't always shell out the full price at once.

Last edited by Xanthe; 06-23-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #45
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Hmm. You have a good point. I forgot about the extra charger. I think I might go for it. I need to get one for the kids. They had a Nook Color, which I sold last fall and replaced with a Lenovo A2107 and that thing really sucks.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote