Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Scotty
Edge User

Unhappy Browser not connecting - Web page not available

Hi All,
I am new to Android and would greatly appreciate your help, as I just received my Pocket Edge a few days ago. It sees my wireless network and states is connected. When I open the browser to defaulted Google and have tried multiple addresses all of which say, the "Web page is not available" . I was able to register and go to internet prior to this . Also took it to work yesterday, and I was able to access internet using their wireless network.

What am I missing?
Scotty2

Old 11-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

Hi Scotty. Seems to me you're not missing anything.

When you get the "Web page is not available" on your PE, do you get the same on your Mac/PC when you try the same website?

On the default Google home page, what happens when you click any of the hyperlinks on that default page?

You can also check the strength of your wifi signal. Press the Home button on the bezel, then the Menu button. Select "Settings", "Network Controls", "Wi-Fi settings". In the "Wi-Fi networks", you'll see a signal strength icon beside each wireless network. Is yours (it should say "Connected" below the network name) at the top of the list with 3 bars above the base dot?

Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
Scotty
Edge User

Thank for your reply, I am able to access internet sites from my PC.

When I open the Edge browser I only see the list of sites I have tried and get the "Web page not found"

My connection is 48mbps (good) When I open settings here are some that I trobleshooted;
block pop up window------unchecked
load images checked
enable java checked
browser mode mobile default and desktop browser mode on , I 've tried both
enable gears checked
How does Android handle "cache" ? It is as if there isn't a browser at all
i have an apple router but have used a new windows laptop for a year now without access problems
Appreciate any more suggestions or questions to help me
Scotty

Old 11-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
borisb
Edge User

The default browser would handle caching the same as any browser, I would assume.

If you have a USB memory key, I recommend you install another browser - either Dolphin (very popular) or Opera. Download the APK installation file from the following links, respectively: http://www.slideme.org/mobileapp/dow...313a00d126.apk, http://www.opera.com/download/get.pl...0&nothanks=yes. Copy the APK file to the memory stick and insert it in your eDGe. Use the Library app, changing the drop down at the top left corner to "Storage". You should see a USB0 - go into that and find the APK. Click on it to open and install it. Once installed, try something like www.apple.com.

Let me know what happens

Old 11-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
borisb
Edge User

Also - one other thing you can try. Go into the Library app, and change the top left corner's dropdown to "Store". This should connect you to the enTourage ebook/app store website. See if that works, too.

Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
Scotty
Edge User

Well it was going great , I was able to download Operamini , install and it opened and searched several sites. Then my screen locked up, is there a droid version of Ctrl /Alt / delete? If I reset this , it will wipe out everything, yes?
Scotty

Old 11-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
borisb
Edge User

At least you're getting somewhere

To reset your eDGe, follow these instructions. This is the equivalent of Ctrl-Alt-Delete and does not wipe anything out. It only reboots the eDGe.

Once it's rebooted, try the default browser again, too.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
Scotty
Edge User

Thanks so much! Everything has worked out , opera is working great. When opening the "store" it does not connect " says unable to launch entourage edge check internet connections" . Yet I can open Opera and surf all over
Any ideas how to repair / remove those web pages?
Scotty

Old 11-20-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
borisb
Edge User

It doesn't make sense that the default browser doesn't work when Opera does. Go ahead and contact Tech Support on Monday to figure that out. Meanwhile you have Opera