Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #16
deborahjeanne
Zealot
deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color. Kobo Touch (died 2014). Kobo Glo.
That's strange, the link worked for me after they said it had been changed.
deborahjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #17
vampmiller
Enthusiast
vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.vampmiller got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kobo aura, kindle voyager.
Saw this suggestion and after literally 30 failed attempts, this worked:

Go to the update download page at BN on your Nook's web browser and download the update directly to your Nook. It won't be recognized. However, plug your Nook into your computer, find the sideload zip file in my files->download and just MOVE it to the main directory, without dragging it back to/from your computer.

I did this and it updated instantly. Again, everything else I tried had failed.
vampmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 04:20 AM   #18
arson114
arson114 began at the beginning.

Device: NC
Damn, I have spent a few hours trying everything suggested on this thread and still no update! Every time I hook back up to the nook, the upgrade file has disappeared from the root of the drive. It must be seeing it right? I'm going to to try this tomorrow from a different net connection in case there is something about my network that is corrupting the file or something. I was so excited to pick up what seems like the only nook color available right now, maybe I wasn't that lucky.
arson114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #19
deborahjeanne
Zealot
deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arson114 View Post
Damn, I have spent a few hours trying everything suggested on this thread and still no update! Every time I hook back up to the nook, the upgrade file has disappeared from the root of the drive. It must be seeing it right? I'm going to to try this tomorrow from a different net connection in case there is something about my network that is corrupting the file or something. I was so excited to pick up what seems like the only nook color available right now, maybe I wasn't that lucky.
That's exactly what was happening to me. With two different devices. It did eventually work, dint give up hope.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #20
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
So, is the update worth it? My NC is rooted and it hasn't updated automatically. I'm wonder if I should update and ruin the root or just say whatever?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #21
deborahjeanne
Zealot

Well it is worth it for the pinch and zoom for me, but I'm not rooted.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #22
sjkevin
Connoisseur
sjkevin is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
I've been having the same problem. I could update from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1, but it would not take the 1.1 update; it just deleted the file.

Oh well. So, I went ahead and rooted it on 1.0.1 (using the minimal nooter method).

Now I can check logcat, and I see an error message when I try to give it the 1.1 update; it complains that the checksum is wrong, so it deletes the Sideload_update.zip file without applying it.

I'll try again from the nook browser. Maybe it was just that bad download link problem...
sjkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:10 AM   #23
LazLong
LazLong began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I, too, am having a problem getting my NC to update to v1.1. I just purchased it a couple of days ago. Have followed the directions to the letter. I have downloaded the update a couple of times to verify that it has the same checksum each time. BTW, it would be nice if BN would post what the checksum is supposed to be. I copy the file over, verify that the checksum is the same after the copy, disconnect and wait. I have waited as long as 20+ hours, and after hooking the NC up to my PC I see the update file has disappeared and a new LOST.DIR directory has appeared. The same thing happens each time I've tried to update. I've been posting on BN's support form, but haven't found a solution (obviously as I'm posting here).

I've wished for a shell on this thing the whole time. I think I will do as sjkevin did and root my NC so I can see WTF is going on. I was planning on putting 2.2 and 3.0 on it in any case just to see what they're like.

I'll update you guys if I get it figured out.
LazLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:43 AM   #24
tmwwjd
tmwwjd began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
How do you know when it needs an update? I was attending a nookcolor class at a barnes and noble last week and she said I needed an update. She did it there in the store.
tmwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #25
Grayce
Grayce has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grayce has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grayce has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grayce has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook and NOOkcolor
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmwwjd View Post
How do you know when it needs an update? I was attending a nookcolor class at a barnes and noble last week and she said I needed an update. She did it there in the store.
You go into the settings menu and then open the device info device info menu. Under that menu you open about your nookcolor. There is a entry on that screen for the software version that is on your device.

This of course only helps if you know what the current/most up to date version of the software is though. That info you can usually find on this site and most likely on the nookcolor pages on the B&N website.
Grayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:28 AM   #26
LazLong
LazLong began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I gave up. I've decided the NC isn't the right tablet for me. I had planned on rooting it and installing Froyo at some time in the future, but after just rooting it and dealing with the resulting quirks I've decided to pony up another $150 and buy a Galaxy Tab. It's got the OS and features I want without the need to monkey around.

It's sad that B&N have crippled such a nice piece of kit. The NC could be the best bang for ones buck tablet-wise if it didn't have the crippled version of Android and B&N's forced GUI. But I understand why they did what they did. It's an attempt to produce a device that funnels all content purchases through B&N so they can insure they are the only one making money off of it, à la Apple and the iPhone/iPod/iPad. <sigh>

Well, good luck folks, and I hope those of you who are having update problems get them resolved and don't experience such issues in the future.
LazLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #27
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazLong View Post
I gave up. I've decided the NC isn't the right tablet for me. I had planned on rooting it and installing Froyo at some time in the future, but after just rooting it and dealing with the resulting quirks I've decided to pony up another $150 and buy a Galaxy Tab. It's got the OS and features I want without the need to monkey around.

It's sad that B&N have crippled such a nice piece of kit. The NC could be the best bang for ones buck tablet-wise if it didn't have the crippled version of Android and B&N's forced GUI. But I understand why they did what they did. It's an attempt to produce a device that funnels all content purchases through B&N so they can insure they are the only one making money off of it, à la Apple and the iPhone/iPod/iPad. <sigh>

Well, good luck folks, and I hope those of you who are having update problems get them resolved and don't experience such issues in the future.
Enjoy the Tab. You said you paid an additional $150 for it. You paid $400 for the Tab off contract?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #28
sjkevin
Connoisseur
sjkevin is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
Well, my nook color automatically updated itself last night, at long last.

(So now I probably need to re-root it.)
sjkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:36 AM   #29
nookOne
nookOne began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
i just renamed Sideload_update.zip to "sideload_update.zip" notice the lowercase.
Bingo! it worked.
nookOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #30
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Enjoy the Tab. You said you paid an additional $150 for it. You paid $400 for the Tab off contract?
Cheapest that I've heard w/a 1m breakable contract was c. $550, or $600+ "unlocked". All the "cheaper" ones that I've seen come w/mandatory 2y contracts. (This tablet just isn't worth that, maybe $300 contract free tops...)

Kind of silly to buy a Galaxy Tab now since it's about to be old news as far as Samsung usually goes since they're releasing Tegra 2 tabletty goodness soon, albeit in a 10" form factor.... expecting it to be flagrantly overpriced again like the Xoom.

Elocity has a Tegra 2 10" tablet upcoming as well, supposedly with an IPS screen for c. $400, and then there is always the Notion Ink Adam, but I'm leery of those with reported battery problems & Pixel Qi(the one that I'm interested in, no 3G WiFi c. $500) screen problems.

OTA update to 1.01 never worked for me, but sideload update did. OTA 1.10 worked fine. Might want to use some ZIP utility and check the integrity of the downloaded sideload update .zip file... (usually called "test" in the zip utility menu options...)

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 02-14-2011 at 11:44 PM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote