Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-18-2024, 06:00 AM   #1861
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
  • Digital televisions which overscan by default
  • Consumers unaware of this
  • Television networks and stations that assume overscan when positioning their logos.
We need to get all TV stations ot get rid of their horrible logos from TV screens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 06:10 AM   #1862
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
CTV Sci-Fi channel loves to spam advertisements for Bell internet over the bottom half of the screen and often obscures things.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:01 PM   #1863
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We need to get all TV stations ot get rid of their horrible logos from TV screens.
That would be nice, but if they are in a corner, small enough, dim enough, and translucent enough, I can ignore, and sometimes not even notice, them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
CTV Sci-Fi channel loves to spam advertisements for Bell internet over the bottom half of the screen and often obscures things.
PBS in the US has taken to showing large bright mini ads for upcoming programs that obscure quite bit.

Last edited by j.p.s; 03-18-2024 at 01:04 PM.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 11:36 AM   #1864
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
A very recently-released AAA game (singleplayer and fully-priced) charges microtransactions to fast travel and start a new game.

Support indie gamedevs.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 11:53 AM   #1865
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
A very recently-released AAA game (singleplayer and fully-priced) charges microtransactions to fast travel and start a new game.

Support indie gamedevs.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:33 PM   #1866
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
So here's the current state of the $50 trillion artificial intelligence industry:

Me: Alexa, STOP RECOMMENDING BOOKS

Alexa: For personalized book ideas please visit Amazon and search for books. To purchase a specific one try saying something like "shop for the book xxx"

Or wait, have they already taken over completely and are just mocking me?
cc_in_oh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 04:22 AM   #1867
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Current peeve: Windows programs that ignore the Text Cursor settings, in particular the Text cursor indicator setting I just discovered.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 11:51 AM   #1868
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:

Support indie gamedevs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
That's why I still do my gaming with a PS2. No internet needed and no payment to play the game beyond the initial purchase. I just insert the game in the PS2 and enjoy gaming. I also like that it is backwards compatible with the PS1 so I can still enjoy some great PS1 games like No One Can Stop Mr. Domino!

I do have a PS3 and one of the things I found irritating about it is that some games require internet access just to play (I discovered this after purchasing a game). I can understand needing internet access to download additional content, but one of the strengths of console gaming is that you should just put the disc in the machine and play it without the having to worry about your system meeting the requirements to play the game.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 11:54 AM   #1869
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

cc_in_oh wrote the following as part of a post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
So here's the current state of the $50 trillion artificial intelligence industry:

Me: Alexa, STOP RECOMMENDING BOOKS
Alexa (in the voice of HAL2000): I'm sorry but I can't do that Dave.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:04 PM   #1870
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hate to admit but Win11 is growing on me, Copilot in particular. In conventional searches the closest hits are often outdated, while more current hits are less relevant. For example, I might get a hit that compares the two stock funds I'm looking for, but it's too old to rely on. Copilot can research the two investments separately and put together an imperfect but moderately useful comparison. I like that it footnotes and links its sources and saves a list of recent chats.

It definitely still needs some work though- I asked it the probability of a suited holdem hand making a flush by the river. It understood the question perfectly and started analyzing correctly, then got lost at the end and produced the ridiculous answer of 80%. It makes me wonder as we start to rely on AI whether we'll have any way of knowing if we're getting reliable answers. Or if it even understood the question the way we intended...
cc_in_oh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 04:13 AM   #1871
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Or if it even understood the question the way we intended...
I have that issue with NI (Natural Intelligence) whatnots too… they hear/read what they think I meant rather than what I actually said or wrote.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 11:17 PM   #1872
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Why are podcasts so difficult to manage? In addition to having to re-subscribe to my podcasts as I've moved from computer to computer (which isn't really an issue), I keep gathering more duplicate podcast episodes and because often some of the metadata is lost in the transition it is difficult to determine if I have duplicates. However, I don't want to accidentally delete a podcast episode that I want to keep.

If I'd thought about it when I first started subscribing to podcasts I myself should have done what I mention in the next paragraph. It would have made managing podcasts much easier. Plus, although MediaMonkey has the ability to determine duplicates it takes a very long time (likely more than a day) since it has to analyze the entire library first.

Although it is possible that this has been done, I wish they would implement a tag to identify each podcast episode. It could be something like a 128-character tag that contains a identifier for each podcast episode, with the rule being that each episode must have a unique identifier and the Creative Team for each podcast determines what should be entered in there but it must be unique to each episode and for each Podcast.

As an example, I subscribe to The Story Song Podcast so the Episode ID Tag for an episode could be something like the following: The Story Song Podcast - Episode 25 - 20150405 - Alone Again (Naturally). This would make it easy to determine if I have duplicates of the same podcast so I can safely delete the duplicates.
Old 04-07-2024, 06:33 AM   #1873
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Why do posters have to post in a different font: Look at me, look at me.

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 07:08 AM   #1874
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Emoticons! Who came up with those obnoxious message warts?
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 11:50 AM   #1875
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote