Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #1
kellynj
kellynj began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Library management, conversion, unity

This is where I get insanely confused. I could put any version of Sony books in the old Sony Library. I could add books to my Sony collection from Google & Kobo to the new version of Sony Library, but they won't copy to my old Sony Library (which is where I keep the master Lists, and sync to my Sony Readers. The old Sony Library software does what I want it to.....the new one doesn't. Kobo's software is a mess, there isn't even a way to import books bought direct from publishers into their software & Google doesn't have collections at all.

I have an old version of Calibre that I used when I had to swap everything to epub from whatever the old EC & Sony formats were.

All I want is all my books in one place, with rational collections that *I* control and me be able to change the order the collection is in.

Is there any kind of site that lays out how to manage collections by what you want them to do instead of how the default may work?

I was trying to update my Calibre and started getting warnings about trojans and other messes. Can anyone help with figuring out what's safe & what might accomplish unifying my books?

Thanks!
kellynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellynj View Post
This is where I get insanely confused. I could put any version of Sony books in the old Sony Library. I could add books to my Sony collection from Google & Kobo to the new version of Sony Library, but they won't copy to my old Sony Library (which is where I keep the master Lists, and sync to my Sony Readers. The old Sony Library software does what I want it to.....the new one doesn't. Kobo's software is a mess, there isn't even a way to import books bought direct from publishers into their software & Google doesn't have collections at all.

I have an old version of Calibre that I used when I had to swap everything to epub from whatever the old EC & Sony formats were.

All I want is all my books in one place, with rational collections that *I* control and me be able to change the order the collection is in.

Is there any kind of site that lays out how to manage collections by what you want them to do instead of how the default may work?

I was trying to update my Calibre and started getting warnings about trojans and other messes. Can anyone help with figuring out what's safe & what might accomplish unifying my books?

Thanks!
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119175
Calibre has always worked this way.

You got this warning from a file from the Official download site?
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#id52
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
kellynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119175
Calibre has always worked this way.

You got this warning from a file from the Official download site?
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#id52
Thanks for the links. I've always only used Calibre for the format change then used the original Sony library software to manage the library. Obviously that can't work since none of these new books are even recognized by my old library. I have to figure out just how Calibre works and how I can somehow merge that or something. I was trying to just use the Sony stuff, but the hangs when I try & create author folders are unworkable. I have to keep books sorted or I'll never be able to find anything & none of the newer software lets me sort. I know there are people on MR with collections in the thousands - I just don't know how they work em.

The download Trojan alert wasn't Calibre, but Alf - I was tired when I wrote the post, sorry. I don't know if it was AVG overreacting or I was doing something wrong - I followed the page instructions but still had AVG alert. I couldn't find anything in Google if that d/l had been hacked or something (I'm trying not to cross & discuss what I shouldn't, but I haven't been able to find anything in Google if that site is safe). All I'm looking to do is access my own purchases using my own software - but Sony closing is totally screwing up my stuff.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I bet AVG was trying to scare you away from using The Tools...

eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alf has had a lot of visitors from MR members. I am sure we would have seen posts if something nefarious was happening.

AVG free has not had many 'false positive' reports in my experience.
(IMHO too many and you start to ignore them , maybe when you shouldn't )
Old 05-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
kellynj

Thanks guys - now if I can just start forcing myself to use Calibre :-(
Old 05-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellynj View Post
Thanks guys - now if I can just start forcing myself to use Calibre :-(
Nobody is holding a to your

Many folk just use their filesystem to store books