Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
And365
And365 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Multiple editing of titles

I have been trying to edit mutiple titles. For example I have books that are part of a series and I am trying to edit the names so it has the name of the series in front of the book title. So far I have only been able to go through them one at a time, which takes quite awhile.

Shouldn't I be able to highlight and select them all and then do something in which i can just add what words I want for all of them?

For example lets say I have the harry potter series and in calibre and on my ereader it lists it as

Sorcerors stone
Chamber of secrets
Prisoner of Azkaban
Goblet of fire

I want to edit them at the same time so it looks like this

Harry potter - Sorcerors stone
Harry potter - chamber of secrets
harry potter - prisoner of azkaban
harry potter - goblet of fire
And365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Most people use a plugboard to modify the book's title to add in the series name / series index as it is sent to their device.

Take a look at Techniques to use plugboards, custom columns and templates
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
And365

Is their an easier way to go about this? It seems rather involved, also I'm still a bit new to using calibre.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by And365 View Post
Is their an easier way to go about this? It seems rather involved, also I'm still a bit new to using calibre.
That is the Easiest (and simple)

{series} - {title} destination {title}
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
The plugboard is the way to go really, but if you want to rename them in calibre you can use the search and replace in the bulk edit dialogue.
select the books
choose search tab in bulk edit dialogue
search mode = regular expression
search field = title
search for ^
mode = prepend to field

Replace with Harry Potter
It will show you a preview

Might be better to make series collections instead on the reader then you know it is Harry Potter because it is in the Harry Potter collection.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
The thing to remember is that editing somethiong like the book title in calibre will more than likely cause problems down the road with things like retrieving metadata for books.

I know of course you will say "But I've already GOT the metadata and the cover I want".

I'll say "Learn to use the tools early on and your experience with calibre will be that much stronger".
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The thing to remember is that editing somethiong like the book title in calibre will more than likely cause problems down the road with things like retrieving metadata for books.

I know of course you will say "But I've already GOT the metadata and the cover I want".

I'll say "Learn to use the tools early on and your experience with calibre will be that much stronger".
I agree but never hurts to know how to use search etc.

Helen
Old 05-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
And365

So when I go into convert bulk metadata, it allows me to edit the series name just fine for mutiple books, but I still just want the book titles to have the series name in front of it. I can this in the main window by selecting one at a time and pressing f2 and then entering whatever name I wish. But again I seem to be only able to do this one at a time. For larger series it takes forever.

Is there something I should be doing different in convert bulk metadata or another process?
Old 05-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
So when I go into convert bulk metadata, it allows me to edit the series name just fine for mutiple books, but I still just want the book titles to have the series name in front of it. I can this in the main window by selecting one at a time and pressing f2 and then entering whatever name I wish. But again I seem to be only able to do this one at a time. For larger series it takes forever.

Is there something I should be doing different in convert bulk metadata or another process?
go to edit bulk metadata and pick the search and replace tab

Helen
Old 05-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
kristalana
Groupie
kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Galaxy Tab Pro
You should really reconsider using a plugboard to do it, if what you want is to get them to show up in proper order on your ereader. It's really not difficult and you just have to do it the one time, whereas this way you'll have to change all your book titles.

You just go to Preferences, then Metadata Plugboards. Under Add new Plugboard, choose Format - epub (I'm guessing), and Device - Kobo (or Kobo touch maybe, not sure as I have a kindle). In Source Template put: {series:|| }{series_index:0>2s|[|] - }{title}. Then in Destination Field put title. Hit save plugboard, and Apply, and that's it.

After that whenever you send a book to your reader the series will be before the title, provided your metadata is correct.
kristalana is offline   Reply With Quote