Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
Martel
Martel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Calibre Server Problem (easy to fix?)

Hello from Germany,

i have a problem with the Calibre Ebook Server.

My Setup:

Raspberry PI Rev. B with Wheezy ( Upgrade & and Update finish ).

IP: 192.168.0.202

NAS Storage :

IP: 192.168.0.106

Ebook folder are mount at /home/pi/ebooks - mounting works fine! all okay.

I have setup Calibre ( first start ), told Calibre how to find the Lib. an all works!

- now i go to http://192.168.0.202:8080 - i can search Books, but if i want to Download a Books there is a "internal" Server Error.

- Okay, easy. I cant access the Books. First i thought there is no big deal... but i cant get it work.

Then i have try to setup Apache2 at the Raspberry PI and mount the ebooks a secound time at

/var/www/ebooks/ - all fine, books still there.....

And now, i have a problem.

At the calibre settings there is a possibilty to setup up a prefix.

I belive, this can solve my problem... but i dont know what i should use.

http://localhost/ebooks/ - doesent work

http://192.168.0.202/ebooks/ - doesent work....

i have read the manual from calibre, but i dont know what to do. Can you give me a hint. How to access remot files?

( my Problem: i am dont understand the Manuel - because i have no experiens with Apache). A short step by Step help would be nice.

Thank you
Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
Calibre Server comes with Calibre - there is no Apache installation necessary (yeah, I do realise that it's meant as a workaround).

(Furthermore, making Calibre point its library to a network share is not advisable. But, well, I do it, so... Yeah.)

So anyways, try to put your library back on your local drive, and see if the Internal Server error on http://192.168.0.202:8080 still occurs.

Note that what you're trying to do with Apache is serving a filesystem with no index file at its root, so you'd have to add an Options Indexes directive (I think? It's been a while since I needed that one), preferably in an .htaccess file in the library root.

N.
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
Martel

M, okay.

I hope i get it right.

It is technical possible to use a mount Folder with a Lib. for the Calibre Server ? ( if i understand right, you do the same ).

For me, it is not possible to move the lib to the raspberry ( not enought Space there ).

- the setting at this moment.

Calibre on Raspberry Pi 192.169.0.202 , Lib. on NAS and Mount to /home/pi/ebooks/

I can search, but i can download a file.

- is the Prefix the right way?
- can it work?
- some other hints, how to realize ?
Old 05-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Several things:

1) What version of calibre are you running? In the past, people have posted that they are running versions in the 08.nn range, which are years old. Unfortunately it seems to be hard to get newer versions onto a raspberry pi machine. For more information see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206783 and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=235424.

2) If you are running calibre's native server then you should not need to use the prefix. If you can browse the library using http://IP_ADDRESS:PORT/ but cannot download books then I suspect that the library has letter case problems. Does the original library come from windows? Windows is case-insensitive (letter case doesn't matter) but linux is case sensitive (letter case does matter).

3) You say you can start the content server and see content using your browser. How are you starting the content server? Are you running calibre in GUI mode, or are you using the calibre-server command?

4) You say that you are getting an "internal server error". The calibre server's logs might tell you the cause of the error. If you are running calbre's gui then you can see the logs easily by going to preferences, sharing over the net, and clicking the button to view the logs.

5) If you are running calibre's gui then what happens when you click the "test server" button in preferences, sharing over the net?

6) The only reasons to use apache is to add more complex authentication or to allow access to several web programs on a single port. If I were you I would forget about apache until you have the calibre server running correctly.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
Martel

1) 0.8.51

2) If you are running calibre's native server then you should not need to use the prefix. If you can browse the library using http://IP_ADDRESS:PORT/ but cannot download books then I suspect that the library has letter case problems. Does the original library come from windows? Windows is case-insensitive (letter case doesn't matter) but linux is case sensitive (letter case does matter).

- Thats right. This is a Windows Libary

3) You say you can start the content server and see content using your browser. How are you starting the content server? Are you running calibre in GUI mode, or are you using the calibre-server command?

- GUI mode

4) You say that you are getting an "internal server error". The calibre server's logs might tell you the cause of the error. If you are running calbre's gui then you can see the logs easily by going to preferences, sharing over the net, and clicking the button to view the logs.

http://www.juxcloud.com/owncloud/pub...4cf19d1e1868d7

Link to Log File: From Today online.

5) If you are running calibre's gui then what happens when you click the "test server" button in preferences, sharing over the net?

- all the same. Browser open, i can search, but i cant get a file ( same Error)

6) The only reasons to use apache is to add more complex authentication or to allow access to several web programs on a single port. If I were you I would forget about apache until you have the calibre server running correctly.

- okay.

- Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Martel; 05-05-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:40 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
See if restoring the database via Library Management (in the Choose Library dropdown) helps. It will fix filename case issues at least, transforming it from a Windows to a linux library.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:09 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Calibre 0.8.51 is two years old, which means that there has been more than 100 releases since then. I don't remember if there were any incompatible database changes since then, but there easily might be.

Can calibre's GUI viewer open a book?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #8
Martel

Can calibre's GUI viewer open a book?

- no, same error. And i cant open the Help file to.

See if restoring the database via Library Management (in the Choose Library dropdown) helps. It will fix filename case issues at least, transforming it from a Windows to a linux library.

- Thx, i tray but it can take i while.

Restoring database failed-

Traceback (most recent call last):

File 'usr/lib/calibre/calibre/libary/restore.py' line 107,, in run
raise Exception('something bad happend'))

( i have to typ this, sorry

Last edited by Martel; 05-06-2014 at 11:55 AM.