Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
DIY CM10.1 (JellyBean 4.2.1) SDcard for Nook Tablet

FWIW, below is a digest of the process to create a SD card running CM10.1 builds by XDA Developer Succulent which is posted at his blog http://iamafanof.wordpress.com and which I have used to build a CM10.1 (version dated 20130110) SD card for my Nook Tablet. Thanks to Succulent for this great CM10.1 build!!!

[Note that Succulent provides at his blog (http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013/...k-tablet-0110/) pre-made images of his CM10.1 builds that can simply be burn to SDcard (using DiskImage_1_6_WinAll or Win32DiskImager) after which the SD card would be immediately ready-for-use. The process in this post is meant for those folks who would like to build the SDcard image "from scratch" – so as to avoid downloading the large-size (420+MB) pre-made images, or to have a bit more flexibility in sizing the various partitions on the card].

(Caveat emptor: adopt/follow it at your own risk)
  1. Using a disk partition tool (such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition) create 4 partitions: boot (Primary, FAT32), system (Primary, Ext4), data (Primary, Ext4), and sdcard (Primary, FAT32). Set the partition ID type for the boot partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag (otherwise the SDcard will not be bootable). Once this is done, the boot partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows. (Note that you can adjust the suggested sizes of the partitions upward to fill up the entire SDcard; FWIW the sizes I use on my 8GB card for the 4 partitions are, respectively: 0.5GB/0.5GB/2GB/[remainder of SDcard]).
  2. Download boot.zip from http://goo.im/devs/succulent/acclaim/boot.zip.
  3. Extract and copy to the boot partition of the SD card the following files from boot.zip: MLO, u-boot.bin, and flashing_boot.img.
  4. Download the pair of files cm-10.1-yyyymmdd-acclaim-HD-SDC.zip and cm10.1-yyyymmdd-gapps.zip from http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013/...k-tablet-0110/.
  5. Copy to the boot partition of the SD card cm-10.1-yyyymmdd-acclaim-HD-SDC.zip and cm10.1-yyyymmdd-gapps.zip.
  6. Extract and copy to the boot partition of the SD card the following files from cm-10.1-yyyymmdd-acclaim-HD-SDC.zip: boot.img and recovery.img.
  7. Put the SD card into the NT, and boot from its power off by inserting a powered USB cable. Press and hold the N button as soon as CyanoBoot comes up to get the boot menu to display.
  8. Select SDC Recovery.
  9. Select "Install zip from SD card" and install the cm-10.1-yyyymmdd-acclaim-HD-SDC.zip file.
  10. Select "Install zip from SD card" and install the cm10.1-yyyymmdd-gapps.zip file.
  11. Press and hold power button to turn off the NT.
  12. Boot the NT from its power off by inserting a powered USB cable; the NT will boot into Cyanoboot which will load (CM10.1) boot by default, after about a couple of minutes you should see boot animation lasting for a few minutes followed by initial wifi network and google account setup process, after which your CM10.1 on SD is ready for use.

A few additional points worth noting:
  • The two most common symptoms of failed SD boot (on insertion of a powered USB cable) and their likely causes are:
    1. The NT boots straight to stock -- most likely the boot partition's type and/or flags are not correctly set, or the NT cannot find the MLO in the boot partition (see comment re: the ordering in file copying above).
    2. The NT screen stays dark for minutes then eventually boots to stock -- most likely the MLO or u-boot.bin are corrupted. I have had this happen to me a few times in the process of extracting them from archive zip files and also in ftp transfers between machines (need to use "binary" instead of "auto" mode). When in doubt, check the exact size of the files in bytes, they should be respectively 38,356 and 179,812.
  • Generally the lower rating (and also cheaper) class 4 SD cards are more suitable for running a ROM than the higher classes 6 and 10 cards (since the latter are optimized for large & sequential block read/write at the expense of random read/write). So if you happen to use a class 10 or 6 card and your apps frequently crash or freeze, consider switching to a lower class SD card.
  • To update the SDcard when Succulent posts a new build, simply repeat steps 4 through 12.

Last edited by livramax; 03-12-2013 at 05:32 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Latest CM10.1 build based on Jelly Bean 4.2.2 is out: http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013/...k-tablet-0218/.

Also, for those who love to customize their Tablet's/apps' user-interface, Succulent have two other ROMs to play with:
  1. ParanoidAndroid-based ROM: http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013/...k-tablet-0218/
  2. Xylon-based ROM: http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013/...sdc-boot-0227/
Old 03-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
dasclown
dasclown began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet
Thanks Livramax. My rooted nook tablet has been acting strangely as of late so I think I may give this a try this weekend!
dasclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
dasclown
dasclown began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet
Hmmm I'm having an issue. I've tried this twice with the same result. I get all the way into CYANOBOOT and select SDC Recovery. Once I select it the nook reboots.

Any Ideas?
dasclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
livramax
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasclown View Post
Hmmm I'm having an issue. I've tried this twice with the same result. I get all the way into CYANOBOOT and select SDC Recovery. Once I select it the nook reboots.

Any Ideas?
Did you do step #6 -- "Extract and copy to the boot partition of the SD card the following files from cm-10.1-yyyymmdd-acclaim-HD-SDC.zip: boot.img and recovery.img."?