Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #781
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yes only once though. You can do that at any WiFi hotpot like a McDonalds then use the PC to sideload your books.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #782
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Quote:
It's a very light creme color. Text is deep black. I originally thought everyone had the same background till I got my K4 then I learned how lucky I got on my first try. I had to plan to sell it but after I learned what I know now I decided to keep it till I see what screen the touch has.
I'm still not happy with the darker K4 screen colour (reminds me of my old K2) so I'm seding it back for replacement (already talked to CS). Hope I get a better one this time. You'd think that Amazon could at least do a quick pre-test before sending these out, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
True that you have to register the device via WiFi? (I already have Kindle for PC).
I had to register mine (at a local MacDonalds, since I don't have home wifi yet either) before I could load my books into it.

I used a usb connection from my PC to load my books btw. Much faster than Wifi. Just go into 'Manage your Kindle', log in, select the book you want to load, select the dropdown menu and choose transfer via usb. If you have your K4 already connected to your PC then you can directly load it into it's Document folder.

Cheers,
Tom
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #783
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I'm still not happy with the darker K4 screen colour (reminds me of my old K2) so I'm seding it back for replacement (already talked to CS). Hope I get a better one this time. You'd think that Amazon could at least do a quick pre-test before sending these out, lol!
I hope the replacement is a better one. Mine is light gray with almost black text but my first one was gray with dark grey text. I kept the second one and used the font plugin to install a darker font which helped out alot. I also turned off 6 page refresh so it refreshes every page.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #784
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
True that you have to register the device via WiFi?
Depends on where you buy it. If you buy directly from Amazon they will register it for you before it ships. If you buy at a brick and mortar then you will have to register it yourself via WiFi. Either way, you probably should set up WiFi on it so that Whispersync and direct purchasing of books will work. It is easy to do and only takes a couple of minutes.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #785
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Depends on where you buy it. If you buy directly from Amazon they will register it for you before it ships. if you buy at a brick and mortar then you will have to register it yourself via WiFi. Either way, you probably should set up WiFi on it so that Whispersync and direct purchasing of books will work. It is easy to do and only take a couple of minutes.
You still need to use WiFi one time to set up the device even if you buy it from Amazon.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #786
eolake
Enthusiast
eolake began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I had no idea there even was variation. I have one of every kind of Kindle which has shipped so far, and they are all very close. (Well, K1 won't boot or charge any more.)

I find that the grey screen is a lot easier to bear if I use a very large font, like two sizes at least over the one I'd use on my iPad.
eolake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #787
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eolake View Post
I had no idea there even was variation. I have one of every kind of Kindle which has shipped so far, and they are all very close. (Well, K1 won't boot or charge any more.)

I find that the grey screen is a lot easier to bear if I use a very large font, like two sizes at least over the one I'd use on my iPad.
Neither did till I bought a K4 and it didn't even look like a Pearl screen. The second is much better but is not as good as my K3.
There are those here who say theirs is better than their K3 so there must be alot of variation.

My K3 does not have a gray background. It's creme color.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #788
eolake
Enthusiast

O gawd.
I was called a "strawman" on Kindle Forums because I posted about my problems with grey screens, but it really bothers me, I am not sure why it apparently bothers so *few* people. I love everything else about the Kindle.
[promotional link removed - moderation]

Last edited by dreams; 11-14-2011 at 02:13 AM. Reason: [promotional link removed - moderation]
Old 11-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #789
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
O gawd.
I was called a "strawman" on Kindle Forums because I posted about my problems with grey screens, but it really bothers me, I am not sure why it apparently bothers so *few* people. I love everything else about the Kindle.
http://ereaderjoy.blogspot.com/2011/...-grayness.html
Call Kindle support and have it replaced. Yours is the same mine was on my first K4. Look through this thread I have posted pics of my first and my second K4. They both definitely have a gray background but my K3 isn't gray at all. The second K4 I got has a light gray and is so much better.

You are not first person here that has had this problem. I have several people PM with the same problem.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #790
eolake
Enthusiast

Thank you, I hadn't thought it could be (ex)changed.

(Sorry, what's PM?)
Old 11-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #791
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Thank you, I hadn't thought it could be (ex)changed.

(Sorry, what's PM?)
Kindle support is wonderful! Be sure to have them call you. It's the best option. They will replace your Kindle if you are not happy with it. They first will walk through some technical things to try and then when they see it can't be fixed that way they will replace it. If in the U.S they will overnight you a new one then you ship the old one back to them with a prepaid label within 30 days. Be sure to Call Kindle Support not Amazon Support. The Kindle support page link is on the Kindle store site.

PM = Private Message
Old 11-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #792
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Yes call Amazon, they'll probably over night one.. at least they did when I exchanged my K3 for the disappearing letters on my keyboard. Those pic's are really gray, that is not what I saw in the store. If you have a Best Buy nearby, you should take yours in and compare it to their display models.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #793
eolake
Enthusiast

Thanks.
I'm in UK, so far as I know, no store here carries the Kindle.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #794
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Thanks.
I'm in UK, so far as I know, no store here carries the Kindle.
Okay they will still replace it but I believe you have to pay to ship it back then they reimburse you.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:27 AM   #795
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Quote:
I hope the replacement is a better one. Mine is light gray with almost black text but my first one was gray with dark grey text. I kept the second one and used the font plugin to install a darker font which helped out alot. I also turned off 6 page refresh so it refreshes every page.
Thanks for that. Hopefully just a bad batch. However, if my replacement K4 is still not as good as my current K3 and DXG, back it goes agian, lol!

No way I'd resort to font hacks just to get around this. If I were you I'd send your replacement K4 back as well. I think that this is the only way Amazon QC is going to get the message.

I really feel sorry for all those new Kindle owners who have bought one of these gray-screened K4's and do not have anything to compare it with. They are really getting the short end of the stick and are missing out on how great an E-ink reader can work imho.

Cheers,
Tom
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote