Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
nsomniac
nsomniac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Kindle 4 (Non-Touch) Can you DELETE the browser?

I have a strange request - I want to permanently disable or (preferably) delete the web browser on my Kindle 4 (non-touch).

I assume this may be possible, but it is probably beyond my skills. If someone would be so kind as to walk me through the steps to possibly do this I would be incredibly grateful.

I might even be willing to send someone a little something via PayPal to help me come up with a way to do this for my Kindle...

Essentially my desire is to maintain all the perks of a wonderful e-reader without having open Internet access on the device. Another potential work around is to somehow password lock the browser - but I assume that is more difficult and requires actual programming as opposed to some hacking and slashing.

-Nsomniac
nsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You could password lock the Kindle. I've never heard of a hack to disable the browser. People mostly want to add capabilities, not take them away.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
It is quite easy to disable a function with a trick similar to this one

For the simplest one: You can rename a folder or a file which is required by the browser only .

The only thing you need to do is to learn full path of such a file/folder ( use developer forum )
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
nsomniac
nsomniac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
I would only want to password lock the browser itself. Either that or delete it completely from the device. I know it's an unusual request.
nsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote