Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-21-2015, 03:28 AM   #1
theboardrider
theboardrider began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Air 2, Kindle Cloud, iPhone 5c, MacBook 5,1
Exclamation Wipe, Reload Library to Kindle

Hi All,

I'm hoping for some step by step help here. I've taken all my Kindle book library, put them into Calibre and removed the DRM. Since discovering Calibre, I've started to acquire books from sources other than just buying via Amazon. Turns out there are cheaper options...who knew?

So now, I've got my Calibre library pretty well sorted out, books tagged, etc. What I'd like to do is make a list of books from the Calibre library, that I want to move onto my Kindle right now. I've got over 800 total books in Calibre, and I don't need all of them on my Kindle. So that's the first thing, and I think I've got it in that I created a reading list and titled it "Current Kindle List." If that's not the best way to do that, please correct me.

Once I get that list edited and dialed in just how I want it. I'd like to then move that list onto my Kindle. However, before doing that, and since I have all my books previously on the Kindle backed up on my hard drive and via Calibre. What I'd like to do is wipe my Kindle clear of any and all content. So I can then upload the current list I've made and have it be on the Kindle, and that be all that is on the Kindle.

Can I do this? And is there a way to make it like a "smart list," where going forward if I add or subtract a book from the Kindle list, all I've got to do is plug in the Kindle, press sync and it will update?

Thanks in advance for the help! This topic may be out there somewhere, but i had no idea what you'd call it. I searched for "wipe and reload Calibre list," and "clear Kindle, load Calibre self made list," and didn't really find anything that gave me the step by step help I was hoping for.
theboardrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The Reading List plugin can maintain a list of what books are on your Kindle.

To delete all books currently there, you could delete the contents of the "[userstore]/documents/" folder, or switch to Device View in calibre, CTRL+A to select all books, and hit the delete key.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:46 AM   #3
theboardrider
theboardrider began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Air 2, Kindle Cloud, iPhone 5c, MacBook 5,1
I've got the Reading List Plugin. How do I add to it? Just right click every time? There's got to be a way, to drag or something. Can I create a column and simply check Yes/No?

Thanks a ton for your help with this eschwartz. How's the weather this side of infinity in spring?
theboardrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Take a look through the plugin configuration, you should be able to create a custom column indicating if the book is on the device. Just configure the corresponding list to update itself automatically every time the device is plugged in.

The weather here is very infinite as far as the eye can see --thanks for asking.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kindle, list, sync, wipe