Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #46
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lila55 View Post
I don't see Amazon gaining from the return, I see it as property that is (after having reembursed the original buyer) now rightfully the property of Amazon. So it should be given back to them. Keeping it just because Amazon is a company and not an individual does not make it any more rightful in my eyes.
Perhaps rightfully theirs, but I think to them it wouldn't matter. Processing that return, they use customer service time, they have to mail the thing back and forth, the device's value has gone down, etc. By the time all that is done and finished, they are probably getting barely anything out of it. Let's skip the part where they are such a big company, after all that, even I wouldn't care about the money left over.

Keep in mind that if they just take it back, they also have a customer who's even more unhappy.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #47
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
Perhaps rightfully theirs, but I think to them it wouldn't matter. Processing that return, they use customer service time, they have to mail the thing back and forth, the device's value has gone down, etc. By the time all that is done and finished, they are probably getting barely anything out of it. Let's skip the part where they are such a big company, after all that, even I wouldn't care about the money left over.
They might not want the Kindle back but what advantage is there to reenable it? It actually encourages people to steal them because the person that stole it can just claim they found/bought it and didn't know. One quick call and bam free Kindle that is now off the blacklist. The blacklist for stolen Kindles is useless if you can do that.
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #48
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
Keep in mind that if they just take it back, they also have a customer who's even more unhappy.
Except they didn't see a cent from that sale (indeed they may have lost money on the stolen kindle). Does that still make the OP a customer?
Old 09-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #49
kermalou
kermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-bookskermalou has learned how to read e-books

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizedale View Post
and if the OP is in fact making the whole thing up and he is, in fact the scumbag, just to get info on how to be able to use the device!!! just a thought...
Yeah, I am the scumbag, since I contacted amazon, gave them my account information, etc etc oh and this is the follow up email I got a couple hours ago:

Quote:
Hello,

Unfortunately, the device you've contacted us about, serial number B008xxx0, has been reported as lost or stolen. As a result, we will not permit new registrations of this Kindle.

If you have concerns about your purchase of this Kindle, please contact the seller or your local law enforcement agency.

Thanks for your understanding.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey?p=AxxE&k=hy

If no, please click here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey?p=A3xxx&k=hn

Best regards,

Dxx X
http://www.amazon.com
Look you want to be moral or whatever the case will be, this has happened.

I can browse the web and loaded some books from Project Gutenberg, so for the help
Old 09-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #50
haroldgh
Enthusiast
haroldgh began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Let me put it this way; a blacklisted kindle can still read pirated ebooks.

That's why if I were Amazon and some guy called me saying he accidentally purchased stolen property, I would say "Thanks so much for calling us. We already replaced it for the original owner. You're an honest man. Keep the device, it'll work with your amazon account now."
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #51
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Yes like Amazon are going to just start activating accounts on stolen kindles for every Tom Dick and Harry that phone them with a sob story
Old 09-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #52
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
A couple years ago when my husband left his Kindle on train, Amazon refused to blacklist it. I was very irate with them. I'm guessing I wasn't the only one. Luckily some nice person turned it in to lost and found. It just took over a week to make it to the main office so we thought it was a lost cause for awhile.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #53
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_brio View Post
Ohhhhh..... well that changes everything. You are right. It was a good deal.
Where did I say anything about it being a good deal? I was correcting your misinformation.

That said, if I could get one NIB for ~15% cheaper than amazon, not have to wait for delivery, or pay any taxes, yes I would consider that a good deal.

What do you consider a good deal?

Plus, I certainly would not consider it a deal 'too good to be true', one that would raise a bunch of red flags and lead me to believe I was being scammed.

There are legit reasons why a guy could be selling a NIB kindle. Hindsight is 20/20.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #54
dougmwpsu
Enthusiast
dougmwpsu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
There are legit reasons why a guy could be selling a NIB kindle. Hindsight is 20/20.
I think the real problem here is that it's a bit fishy and OP didn't do his due diligence to ask the seller a few questions and get enough personal information to protect himself. This is Craigslist after all, den of prostitutes, scams, and armed robbery.

Also, why is everyone assuming that the benevolent Amazon has given the theft victim a new kindle? Is theft replacement standard in all manufactures warranties now?
Old 09-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #55
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
If it was stolen from the original purchasers doorstep upon delivery without a signature Amazon would have to send out another unit or refund the original buyer as they never received his or her goods.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #56
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
They might not want the Kindle back but what advantage is there to reenable it? It actually encourages people to steal them because the person that stole it can just claim they found/bought it and didn't know. One quick call and bam free Kindle that is now off the blacklist. The blacklist for stolen Kindles is useless if you can do that.
I never said they should or would re-enable it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmwpsu View Post
I think the real problem here is that it's a bit fishy and OP didn't do his due diligence to ask the seller a few questions and get enough personal information to protect himself. This is Craigslist after all, den of prostitutes, scams, and armed robbery.

Also, why is everyone assuming that the benevolent Amazon has given the theft victim a new kindle? Is theft replacement standard in all manufactures warranties now?
I think you owe a lot of craigslist users an apology. If you want I can find stolen goods on eBay, flea markets, yard sales, and so on. It means nothing when you find a couple of cases among millions and millions of transactions. The buyer could have very easily been duped, who says he didn't ask? Maybe the seller made up a story about getting it as a gift or something.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #57
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmwpsu View Post

Again, hindsight is 20/20. What should he have asked? Is he supposed to check for id to verify the seller is giving correct contact info? I guess maybe, I never have and likely never will.

Short of unpacking the kindle and trying to register it at time of sale, not sure how you can know it is legit.

Anyways, whether the OP is the scammee or otherwise, all I am saying is there are legit reasons why someone would sell a NIB kindle and this deal wasn't that good to make one automatically think something is up.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #58
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur

Finally, someone has some common sense! Cheers fog
Old 09-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #59
psycholoner
Enthusiast
psycholoner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
I'd keep it. I wouldn't feel the least bit guilty about breaking the DRM off books I actually bought.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #60
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermalou View Post
I am just thinking of the worst case scenario if this guy turns out to be scum.
Time to face reality: He IS scum. You got scammed trying to undercut the legitimate seller, Amazon. The simple, common sense approach is to consider this a $120 lesson in ethics. If you do, I would say it was money well spent. Don't compound the error by trying to hack it and download books illegally - unless I am misunderstanding your plan. Do the right thing. Give it back and know that at least you are ethical. If you have a receipt, keep it. With any luck, you will find the bad guy and maybe you can sue him for the money he owes you.

Good luck with your decision.
Closed Thread